Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Royal Mail

Your reply underlines your lack of understanding. Its a pity that your rep doesnt have a better understanding of what Unite-Amicus Section has done for you and can do for you. You ask whats in it for you. That's the nub of your misunderstanding. Its about "we" and "us" not "I." How many times have you talked about yourself in your reply?
    Many of the benefits you enjoy, as I do, in our well paid white collar jobs exist because people had the guts to stand up for themselves. I'm not having a pop at you, you have a narrow view because you think its all about striking and preventing progression (a basic tenet of a good union rep is to level things up, not down). As I said, ask Alf about the learning agenda and equalities agendas where collective action has been the only way to create laws and educate employers that isloating people because of their race, gender, disabilities etc is wrong. No-one on here would defend racial harrassment in the workplace would they? Guess who started campaigns on these issues? If we all said sod everyone else, none of this would have been done and we live in a better fairer society as a result. Is that about strikng or going off on Union jollies?
    All these things and much more make up what trade unionism is about. If you have crap reps, vote them out and do it yourself. I think you could do a good job and trust me you would get a huge amount of sartisfaction helping your colleagues who for whatever reason cant help themselves.

Starting A Programme Collection alf wayliner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sadfish
    well you called me "childish" for starters! ok I may well be, but hey!!!
    I think if you reread that post you'll find that the childish comment was referring to the action of the RM managers lumping the 4 days loss of pay into the same pay not what you posted hence the illegal bit in brackets, but if you're prepared to admit if off your own bat who am I to contradict you lol
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. (Karl Marx)
    Third as a cruel joke, fourth as a kick in the nads, fifth as a mortifyingly bad nightmare! (Alf Wayliner)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Kay
    Your reply underlines your lack of understanding. Its a pity that your rep doesnt have a better understanding of what Unite-Amicus Section has done for you and can do for you. You ask whats in it for you. That's the nub of your misunderstanding. Its about "we" and "us" not "I." How many times have you talked about yourself in your reply?
    Many of the benefits you enjoy, as I do, in our well paid white collar jobs exist because people had the guts to stand up for themselves. I'm not having a pop at you, you have a narrow view because you think its all about striking and preventing progression (a basic tenet of a good union rep is to level things up, not down). As I said, ask Alf about the learning agenda and equalities agendas where collective action has been the only way to create laws and educate employers that isloating people because of their race, gender, disabilities etc is wrong. No-one on here would defend racial harrassment in the workplace would they? Guess who started campaigns on these issues? If we all said sod everyone else, none of this would have been done and we live in a better fairer society as a result. Is that about strikng or going off on Union jollies?
    All these things and much more make up what trade unionism is about. If you have crap reps, vote them out and do it yourself. I think you could do a good job and trust me you would get a huge amount of sartisfaction helping your colleagues who for whatever reason cant help themselves.
    no way, that vast majority of people in the UK haven't got a clue what unions can do for them, and thats because generally the answer is nothing or we certainly have no idea if they do, what they have done........

I talk about myself, because at the end of the day only I am responsible for my life and for my family, when it comes the crunch the union guy at our place didn't have any real interest in passing out flyers or in answering any of my questions, he's just in it for the freebies he gets i'm sure.

If he was interested in his work he would have answered our questions, and instead of flying everyone at 3pm on a friday afternoon he would have hit people at 10am monday morning when people where more interested in work and less interested in going home for the weekend.

I've been in more than one union in the past and to this day I still have no idea what they do really, as I say they've cost me money.

i'm gonna dip out of this thread because its about the royal mail and their dispute with its emplyees or vice versa.

I was only interested in what was going on and how the unions where thinking of going forward, i've said my peace and despite my not liking unions, i'm happy to stand up for Alf and would never cross a picket line with him in it as he is a good man.

Banned

You ask whats in it for you. That's the nub of your misunderstanding. Its about "we" and "us" not "I." How many times have you talked about yourself in your reply?
    So.

He got a 0% pay rise which in real terms is a pay cut given increased cost of living. Is he supposed to be ••••ing chuffed about union activity if they have effectively reduced his income? Is he supposed to celebrate the fact that somebody somewhere has done well out of it.

He goes to work and works as hard as the next man and yet has got the shaft and now your saying he should smile about and say how great it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Sadfish
    no way, that vast majority of people in the UK haven't got a clue what unions can do for them, and thats because generally the answer is nothing or we certainly have no idea if they do, what they have done........

I talk about myself, because at the end of the day only I am responsible for my life and for my family, when it comes the crunch the union guy at our place didn't have any real interest in passing out flyers or in answering any of my questions, he's just in it for the freebies he gets i'm sure.

If he was interested in his work he would have answered our questions, and instead of flying everyone at 3pm on a friday afternoon he would have hit people at 10am monday morning when people where more interested in work and less interested in going home for the weekend.

I've been in more than one union in the past and to this day I still have no idea what they do really, as I say they've cost me money.

i'm gonna dip out of this thread because its about the royal mail and their dispute with its emplyees or vice versa.

I was only interested in what was going on and how the unions where thinking of going forward, i've said my peace and despite my not liking unions, i'm happy to stand up for Alf and would never cross a picket line with him in it as he is a good man.
    I hear what you say, but what about if you were being truly oppresssed? what about if you were were being put down, without the luxury of having the facility of being able to move from one good job to another, as you and I both have. Plus, in addition, being discriminated against at every turn?
    I would stand up for you, even though you make it quite clear that you would not stand up for me, or those less able to articulate their problems than you or I.
    Most people will get the impression that you have been affected by this thread and thats why you have have now opted out. As I said before, its a good job that the Northern Union didnt take your attitude in 1895, otherwise we would all be talking about Jerry Wotsisname and the pressure of his balls.

Dave
    Non Members

I hear what you say, but what about if you were being truly oppresssed? what about if you were were being put down, without the luxury of having the facility of being able to move from one good job to another, as you and I both have. Plus, in addition, being discriminated against at every turn?
    I would stand up for you, even though you make it quite clear that you would not stand up for me, or those less able to articulate their problems than you or I.
    Most people will get the impression that you have been affected by this thread and thats why you have have now opted out. As I said before, its a good job that the Northern Union didnt take your attitude in 1895, otherwise we would all be talking about Jerry Wotsisname and the pressure of his balls.
    It seems to me you are putting words in this fellas mouth.