Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Royal Mail

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Bert
    So your advocating sacrifice but only if you can financially afford to. Bo11ocks man!

Does this mean that if you were in trouble at work you would only expect back up from those without families, your talking sh1t.

It's one in all in or there is no point.

Thanks feck I have never had to rely on the back up of some of the spineless feckers on here!
    Im still waiting for you to explain why my wife and kids should potentially lose their home and be forced into hardship for an argument that I dont agree with in the first place. Im a reasonably intelligent, honest and decent individual (modest too lol ). If someone at work is being treated like a shower of $hite then I will stick up for them even if it costs me. If a group of people are splitting hairs and creating a rucas over something that is minor then no I wont be a pleb and just go along with it and risk my families home. Thats not selfish, its common sense....stick up for what you believe in not just what the crowd try to drag you into.

So your advocating sacrifice but only if you can financially afford to. Bo11ocks man!

Does this mean that if you were in trouble at work you would only expect back up from those without families, your talking sh1t.

It's one in all in or there is no point.

Thanks feck I have never had to rely on the back up of some of the spineless feckers on here!
    This is the kind of reason that people who support unions don't get my vote, as they often don't represent a reasoned debate and only represent someone who has a chip on their shoulder.

Just because some of us have to stand up for ourselves and get more out of life than those in the unions doesn't mean we are spineless, it just means we know what we want from an employer. And as the greatest has said, sometimes it's just job security and money coming in to support our families.

THat is worth fighting for, fighting against a progressive company will only end in disaster for both parties.

Work together and don't throw toys and go on strike, and maybe things would get sorted sooner and with less damage all round.

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest
    If a group of people are splitting hairs and creating a rucas over something that is minor then no I wont be a pleb and just go along with it and risk my families home.
    So a fundamental change in your working practices, including being told you need to work 5 years longer for a reduced pension is a minor change is it. Basically having your entire contract and terms of it altered unilaterally by your employer is a small thing is it.

Get real!
    The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadfish
    This is the kind of reason that people who support unions don't get my vote, as they often don't represent a reasoned debate and only represent someone who has a chip on their shoulder.

Just because some of us have to stand up for ourselves and get more out of life than those in the unions doesn't mean we are spineless, it just means we know what we want from an employer. And as the greatest has said, sometimes it's just job security and money coming in to support our families.

THat is worth fighting for, fighting against a progressive company will only end in disaster for both parties.

Work together and don't throw toys and go on strike, and maybe things would get sorted sooner and with less damage all round.
    Sorry captain we will never agree on this, and it is funny how it is always people in more senior/affluent positions that just don't get it.

You have done well for yourself Paul, I wonder if having had to have spent a significant amount of time on the bottom rungs of the ladder might have altered your opinion.

Companies pray on the fear of workers losing money and the possibility of financial hardship, it's how they can get you to do things you don't want to, it's the overhanging threat of losing your job, whether it be to closure or out-sourcing ( this has happened to me 3 times in 5 years ) that keeps them squeezing more out of you for less money. Not everyone has skills that allow them to dictate or enter into personal negotiations with their employers, on there own they are a nothing, something that can be replaced tomorrow by anyone. In these cases the only way anyone has a chance, is to stick together collectively for the good of all, even if that does cause short term hardship/difficulties for long term gain/security.

Without being a reverse snob, if haven't been there, and I mean been there for a number of years not just the first couple after school while paying for university or just earning beer money, you just won't get it.

Haven't the CUW being doing this for over 8 years, there have been massive changes in the postal service over that time, most of it not for the better, but it has been changes to working practices which as far as I am aware the CUW has co-operated with.

It is only now after all that has been done and alterations to working conditions and pernsions has been instigated, unilaterally I may add, that it has got to the stage of strike action. Strike action that was voted for by the entire workforce and has been coming for several weeks.

You have no idea about what i've "been through " Al, and where I came from etc.

The company I work for Change our terms and conditions all the time, it's just taken as read.

as I keep saying, if you aren't happy go and get a job elsewhere, seriously, its not rocket science.

My missus has been through this recently, but she's stuck at the task and now she's working for a company offering lots more holidays and money than she was on previously when she was on minimum wage.

My post is delivered at 11am, but I often see my postie on the golf course of an afternoon.

Most posties start work when I leave home for work and yet most are finished just after lunch whereas I don't get home until 6.

Thats not the way to run a company. Unless you wanna run it into the ground.

Haven't the CUW being doing this for over 8 years, there have been massive changes in the postal service over that time, most of it not for the better, but it has been changes to working practices which as far as I am aware the CUW has co-operated with.

It is only now after all that has been done and alterations to working conditions and pernsions has been instigated, unilaterally I may add, that it has got to the stage of strike action. Strike action that was voted for by the entire workforce and has been coming for several weeks.
    The only change i've seen is that my post is delivered at 11am instead of 7am these days.

At least I would sometimes catch the post before I left for work in the past, nowadays i've got no chance.

Starting A Programme Collection alf wayliner's Avatar

Most posties start work when I leave home for work and yet most are finished just after lunch whereas I don't get home until 6.

And what time do you leave home for work?
    History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. (Karl Marx)
    Third as a cruel joke, fourth as a kick in the nads, fifth as a mortifyingly bad nightmare! (Alf Wayliner)

That Uncle Martin of mine, should be getting my post, not driving his little camper van pretending he is walking the Steve Prescott walk!! hehe!! Only Jokin

But it is annoying especially when your waiting for something in it!

Quote Originally Posted by alf wayliner
    And what time do you leave home for work?
    I leave for work at 6:30 LATEST.

I leave for work at 6:30 LATEST.
    and what time do you get to work?
    Third as a cruel joke, fourth as a kick in the nads, fifth as a mortifyingly bad nightmare! (Alf Wayliner)

and what time do you get to work?
    8am.

The company I work for Change our terms and conditions all the time, it's just taken as read.
    as I keep saying, if you aren't happy go and get a job elsewhere, seriously, its not rocket science.
    If it is so easy to switch to another job why not have a go at standing up for yourself because if you fail then you can always move onto another job, it's not rocket science and your current employer might appreciate the fact that you know your worth to the company and are prepared to stick with that company rather than feck off as soon as you don't get your own way.
    My missus has been through this recently, but she's stuck at the task and now she's working for a company offering lots more holidays and money than she was on previously when she was on minimum wage.
    With all due respect you can't turn round and say that Al has no knowledge of your circumstances and then presume that it will be as easy for everyone else as it was for your missus, I've been through two career changes mate and none of them were easy despite having no family commitments at the time!

My post is delivered at 11am, but I often see my postie on the golf course of an afternoon.

So what you're saying is that your postie only delivers to your road and the fact that you may be half through or at the end of a long walk hasn't entered your mind.

Also do you know whether your postie is a part time postie of full time?

How do you manage to see your postie on the golf course of an afternoon if you work an hour and a half away leave early in the morning and only get back at 6:00?

A postman doesn't just walk into the delivery office and pick up a bag and walk out with sacks of mail. There are all kinds of things to be done before they set foot out the door. Then they have to get to their walk, for instance if their walk is in Eccleston they have to get a load of mail from Liverpool Road to their walk. then they start the delivery.

Yesterdays walkouts were because posties WANTED to start work at 5:30 RM wouldn't let them start till 6:00 wheres the good management practice there, people want to start early, let them ffs it's not rocket science is it?

You're right it isn't but it isn't the posties that run the RM it's Leighton and Crozier. They were the ones who introduced the Single Daily delivery and all its associated bad practices. CWU have little faith in a company that has had pension holidays for years and now wants the employees to pay for the defecit, that's not good management

Banned

So a fundamental change in your working practices, including being told you need to work 5 years longer for a reduced pension is a minor change is it. Basically having your entire contract and terms of it altered unilaterally by your employer is a small thing is it.

Get real!
    when I wrote

No, not at all. And dont get me wrong, Im not critisising their actions as I dont know the full (or any) facts about what is going on.

Its pretty obvious that I am not casting judgement on the RM workers because I dont know the facts. I am talking about union action as a whole. Your attitude is that if the Union votes on action then they MUST be right and individuals MUST follow. What I am saying is that I am an individual who is capable of making rational decisions rather than following the group opinion. Sometimes I will agree and in those circumstances I have no problem in fighting / arguing a cause. Other times I dont agree and therefore wont be lead along blindly following something that I dont believe in that is detrimental to (ultimately) my kids.

So a fundamental change in your working practices!
    The needs of businesses change. Things are done differently now than they were 10 years before which in turn are different that the period before that. Businesses that dont move with the time go bust and this isnt good for either the employer or the employees.

Basically having your entire contract and terms of it altered unilaterally by your employer is a small thing is it.
    !
    Happens regularly.

In my job I get phoned at home at d1ckhead o clock to provide advice. If I am working on certain projects I may not be able to leave until certain things are done, whether its a Friday or not. I have to do these things but it isnt in my contract.

Its pretty obvious that I am not casting judgement on the RM workers because I dont know the facts. I am talking about union action as a whole. Your attitude is that if the Union votes on action then they MUST be right and individuals MUST follow. What I am saying is that I am an individual who is capable of making rational decisions rather than following the group opinion. Sometimes I will agree and in those circumstances I have no problem in fighting / arguing a cause. Other times I dont agree and therefore wont be lead along blindly following something that I dont believe in that is detrimental to (ultimately) my kids.
    I'm a full time Union rep and believe me unions today are pragmatic organisations who understand the needs of modern businesses, I regularly negotiate on behalf of my members to bring in practices that, if brought in the way the employer wanted, would have caused massive difficulties for both the business and the employers. These practices, by the way, are opposed by our members and vociferously so, however I have to go to these people and explain that the realities of the situation are such that it's move on or lose out. When we have had ballots for action the issues have been major ones that have caused anger amongst members and when the result has come in the employer has been forced back into negotiations.

The needs of businesses change. Things are done differently now than they were 10 years before which in turn are different that the period before that. Businesses that dont move with the time go bust and this isnt good for either the employer or the employees.
    Well. I'll certainly not disagree with you there, however the managment of those changes are the issue. Involvement of employees within those changes is fundamental however that is normally the last thing that happens. The number of times I've had to sit in on meetings with managers who have no idea of the impact of what their paper planned projects will have on the real world of the shop floor is unbeleivable. Managers who have theoretical knowledge but have no real practical experience of how a business works expect to wield a sword and make a name for themselves with no regard to consequence.

I
    In my job I get phoned at home at d1ckhead o clock to provide advice. If I am working on certain projects I may not be able to leave until certain things are done, whether its a Friday or not. I have to do these things but it isnt in my contract.
    By doing it you accept the variation in your contract by implication, simple as that. Although it is not written it is accepted that if you work like that without at least raising an objection in writing before hand, you are deemed to have acepted a variation of your contract.

I dunno really this strike seems to me to be a waste of money for the posties, I don't understand how they can justify losing so many days wages when the company they work for is hardly flushed for cash.

as I say I fully repsect you as friends Alf and Bert but we disagree here over the usefullness of striking, and I fully support that workers right idea and the work you do Alf in supporting people, but just don't accept that in this day and age how walking out is anything less than throwing toys from a cot.

Maybe i've had bad experiences of union reps in past but to be honest most of them had lost the point that it's not their company, and if the company wants to introduce various cack ideas then thats their perogative, if you don't like it then leave.

I dunno really this strike seems to me to be a waste of money for the posties, I don't understand how they can justify losing so many days wages when the company they work for is hardly flushed for cash.

as I say I fully repsect you as friends Alf and Bert but we disagree here over the usefullness of striking, and I fully support that workers right idea and the work you do Alf in supporting people, but just don't accept that in this day and age how walking out is anything less than throwing toys from a cot.

Maybe i've had bad experiences of union reps in past but to be honest most of them had lost the point that it's not their company, and if the company wants to introduce various cack ideas then thats their perogative, if you don't like it then leave.
    OK we'll agree to disagree on this one, it's too near to Saturdaylol

OK we'll agree to disagree on this one, it's too near to Saturdaylol
    woohoo

Starting A Programme Collection Beetle!'s Avatar

Just a quick one on this, i have now heard that all four days strike action are to be docked from THIS weeks pay, even though the strike was over two working weeks which means it should be two days this and two days next.

just thought i'd update you all on what a lousy horrible bunch of •••••••s the royal mail (mis) management team are like

Got A Season Ticket Steward Saint's Avatar

Well if i'm going to be honest i think the whole thing is pathetic. Common sense dictates that if you dont like your job then move on and let some one who is prepared to work in. We all moan about the unemployed on benefits yet we stay in jobs we hate and constantly moan about.

But thats just my opinion

Starting A Programme Collection Beetle!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I Wanna Rock
    Well if i'm going to be honest i think the whole thing is pathetic. Common sense dictates that if you dont like your job then move on and let some one who is prepared to work in. We all moan about the unemployed on benefits yet we stay in jobs we hate and constantly moan about.

But thats just my opinion

READ THE WHOLE THREAD!

I love my job, it gets me out and about, keeps me fit (ish) and i am providing service, i do not want to be on strike as much as the next postman/woman, but i also dont want to be continually shafted by RM, we all know modernisation has to take place and agree it should, but the way RM are just steamrollering it through is the thing that grates most people!

another thing is the management, not the line managers as the ex posties are generally ok, its the tits who have never picked up a 35lb pouch in there lives and carried it round in all weathers that are the problem, crozier and his cronies are running the company into the ground, and i beleive its all a ploy to break the company up and get it private!

Starting A Programme Collection saintyick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle!
    READ THE WHOLE THREAD!

I love my job, it gets me out and about, keeps me fit (ish) and i am providing service, i do not want to be on strike as much as the next postman/woman, but i also dont want to be continually shafted by RM, we all know modernisation has to take place and agree it should, but the way RM are just steamrollering it through is the thing that grates most people!

another thing is the management, not the line managers as the ex posties are generally ok, its the tits who have never picked up a 35lb pouch in there lives and carried it round in all weathers that are the problem, crozier and his cronies are running the company into the ground, and i beleive its all a ploy to break the company up and get it private!
    Beetle, any idea when a normal service will resume?

They still nowhere near a settlement with you?

Just a quick one on this, i have now heard that all four days strike action are to be docked from THIS weeks pay, even though the strike was over two working weeks which means it should be two days this and two days next.

just thought i'd update you all on what a lousy horrible bunch of •••••••s the royal mail (mis) management team are like
    Well what are you expecting. YOU WORK FOR THEM, geez, get with the scheme.

crozier and his cronies are running the company into the ground, and i beleive its all a ploy to break the company up and get it private!
    It would be the best thing to happen to the postal service, maybe then the unions would be working in the real world, in a company that really takse no prisoners and can finally get rid of all the dead wood who cause the people of the country so much grief for so little gain.

To be honest Beetle, this is what happens when you dance with the Devil.

You can't expect to take industrial action and not receive something back.

Part of the game mate, part of the game