Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saints, underdogs for the final

Default Saints, underdogs for the final

It has to be said.

Leeds have looked far stronger than Saints when each side has met the other.
    Their performance today against Wigan was also ultra professional, and i dont believe will have used up much juice in the tank.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Chair Maker
    It has to be said.

Their performance today against Wigan was also ultra professional, and i dont believe will have used up much juice in the tank.

i too think we will be underdogs next week.I think Peacock is the difference between the two teams.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I think it'll be fairly even to be honest. It's the closest Grand Final match up we've seen for a few years now IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

With a fit Long Saints to win comfortably........without ..too close to call.IMO will be down to defence again and who makes the least mistakes.Can't see it being a points fest.
    Learned comment from The Don

Does anyone get the feeling it may be like the Grand Final vs Bradford in 1999.

Really low scoreline and such a close game? ? ? I do.

Learning All The Songs Saint Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO
    Does anyone get the feeling it may be like the Grand Final vs Bradford in 1999.

Really low scoreline and such a close game? ? ? I do.
    Torture you mean............but after last week, you could be right. Longy's kicking was a significant factor in that match - if he plays we'll need him to kick as well again. Leeds kicking game tonight was excellent on the whole without even thinking about Sinfield's accuracy at goal.

Starting A Programme Collection Billy Bunter's Avatar

Right now I couldn't give a prediction. I really don't know which way its going to go. A fit Long and Fa'asavalu will make me sleep easier though.

Yes Leeds were dominant tonight, but Wigan's pack was absolute dross. Feka wasn't fit and his laziness was shown up by Peacock in setting up Webb's first. Fielden is finished. Fletcher is just Mr Average, never does anything of note. Prescott is not a SL prop. Hock more intent on causing injury. Millard slower than Stuart Evans. O'Loughlin does nothing but tackle.
    The only one that impresses me is Harrison Hansen.

So while Leeds showed why they deserve to be in the GF, don't go overboard. They were playing a side who were never going to peak another week.

One thing that we do need to pressurise big style is their kicking game. Can't allow Sinfield too much time. Great long range kicking game. So even when we've restricted them, the job isn't done and we must pressure the kick.

Is it just me or does Brent Webb genuinely look far from 100% (I know he's booked for an operation, but there's a lot of scepticism around it)?

Bookies won't make us underdogs, we'll be giving a start on the coupon, at least six.:eek:

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

It has to be said.

To be fair, didn't your irrational phobia of the pies have us down as underdogs anyway? lol
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Exeter Saint
    Non Members

Coral have Saints to win outright at 8/15 favs while Leeds are 6/4, no handicap betting seems to be about at the moment but I would imagine at those reflected odds Saints will be -6 at 10/11.

Learning All The Songs are you blind ref's Avatar

It's going to be a battle royal and we're going to have to be at our best but recent history says we rise to the challenge in finals. It should certainly be a nail biter :eek:
    Saint until I die - For richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, through good times and bad.

Got A Season Ticket

on the current form leeds will beat us theu look stronger and faster than we have recently.

It has to be said.

Leeds have real pace in several positions , a more consistent kicking game
    and offload like Saints previous did.

It will be a real challenge but not impossible.

Should make for a really exciting game.

To say Leeds have looked far stronger than Saints when we won our last encounter is disrespectful to efforts of the Saints lads last week. There's plenty of reasons for the Saints to be confident. We have so much talent in this side and full strength, there's plenty of match winners. We're defending incredibly well and hopefully we've got one last push in us to win a historic double treble.

Have to admit that Leeds did not look like a side that had played those brutal 80 minutes the week before. What was more impressive to me was their 100% completion rate in the first half. That takes some doing, particularly in a pressure game. However, in a major final, we have been pretty much the experts over the years. So many big game players with experience, they never let us down on the big occasion. Also Wigan looked shot at last night, they were not the team that defended so well against Hull the week before.

Back the boys in the red vee to do us proud on the big day. The last 15 mins of the final will confirm how important our week of has been when fatigue kicks in. Its a worthy final anyway, first plays second, how it should be. Leeds are a great side but so are we. Thought Peacock got it spot on last night when he said "Sts have not won all those trophies for nothing, it will be 2 good teams going at each other" Bring it on

Saints just need to worry about themselves, we haven't won 6 trophies on the bounce for nothing. We've earned the right to call ourselves the best. Let Leeds worry about us. I'm just hoping Long is declared fit early on. It's a distraction that we don't need as preparation has to be spot on for these ocassions.

I find this all very odd. We beat Leeds last week with two key players absent and all of a sudden we are frightened of them ?

Leeds made Wigan look exactly what they are last night- average. Bradford did exactly the same then for some reason chose to think the game was won

Wigan have been believing their own hype. They are not a good team.

Next weeks game is a close call but I dont buy this ' we are underdogs' malarkey.

I think youre wrong again there Chair.

In the past two weeks, Leeds have been defeated by Saints and took two tough beatings. The game will have Leeds the underdogs if anyone is. The game is too close to call.

i aint frightend off leeds! to be honest i wanted wigoon win last night as i know when it counts we can beat them! Wheras you look at leeds and think........ hmmmmm will i have any nails left after the game! I clearly see us being favourates for the game, we have to be! We finished 1st, we beat them last week without 2 keys members! So what you all scared about!!! come on the S!!!
    Matthew Gidley Saints' Number 3... na na na na....

Banned

How on earth would Saints be underdogs????

finished 1st in the league
    Won The challenge cup
    Beat Leeds last week
    Hold every trophy on offer.

I can't believe the fear on here. If both sides play to their best Saints win. I just wish Wigan could say that

[QUOTE=Div]

Wigan have been believing their own hype. They are not a good team.

[QUOTE]

I think this is right too.

Yes they beat Hull too, but Hull were very average against Hudds the week before and they just havent been a good team all season i dont think.

Learning All The Songs knowsleyroader's Avatar

If I had to put my life on one of the teams then I would have to jump into the Saints camp.

However I think Leeds will win.

To be fair, didn't your irrational phobia of the pies have us down as underdogs anyway? lol
    nah,

I reckoned the pies would go all the way and then get put to the sword by Saints in the final. However Leeds did what i thought Saints would do.

One things for sure this will be the most nervous week leading upto a final in a number of years.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Saints cant be underdogs, we havent been underdogs in a game for about two years (bar maybe Brisbane) and we are the big occasion team. This team gets the job done when the big prizes are on the line and I'm confident we'll do it again. But of course we're all nervous and apprehensive, 1st vs 2nd in the Grand Final should be close and nail-biting, anything else and our league would be a joke. Too many people on here write our team off given half the chance, have a bit more faith!

Quote Originally Posted by southportsaint
    on the current form leeds will beat us theu look stronger and faster than we have recently.
    RECENTLY WE BEAT LEEDS, who would never have scored all night but for the interception.