Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Offside Rule

Got A Season Ticket the_messiah_saint's Avatar

Cool Offside Rule

One thing that always annoys me in the offside rule is if the player's are offside why does the REF allow the tackle to commence when offside foul is committed.

Surely this would make the game alot quicker if they gave the penalty right away and possibly abstain players from an unnecessary injury

As regards the offside penalty would you really want the ref to shout 'held' and give the penalty right away if for example if James Roby runs at the defensive line (who are all offside) bust's through the tackle's and goes on to score a try. Surely calling the penalty right away would in affect slow the game down. Advantage must be played in some circumstances, shouldn't it?

Markers not square on the other hand is usually followed with the ref letting them know they are not square/offside therefore resulting in a 'quicker game' as you put it by not giving the penalty, should the offside player pull away from the tackle and not touch the runner who is running from dummy half.

Both result in less stoppages fewer penalties and quicker game don't they?

I agree with you regarding protecting the player's from unnecessary injury, but considering that roughly only 2 per cent or less of all tackles in a game on average are high or injury causing you gotta fancy the odds of playing on with minimal risk.
    Hobbies include rewiring microwave ovens and meeting firemen.

Nolite te B*stards Carborundorum

@AJ_1878

George Coaches Organiser Saint Bert's Avatar

Advantage, where as RU let it go on too long, we don't give it long enough.
    The George for match day drinks and away coaches.

Supporting us supporting Saints.

Starting A Programme Collection SaintsDavid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_messiah_saint
    One thing that always annoys me in the offside rule is if the player's are offside why does the REF allow the tackle to commence when offside foul is committed.

Surely this would make the game alot quicker if they gave the penalty right away and possibly abstain players from an unnecessary injury
    Gee wiz, if the game goes any quicker the OAP's would stop coming to the games.
    I'm not writing anything in here because its just a load of b*****ks