Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Rob Burrow Trophy

Learning All The Songs

Default Rob Burrow Trophy

Long overdue IMO to ditch the Harry Sunderland Trophy as the GF MOM and finally replace it with the Rob Burrow trophy.
    I never understood why we had our showpiece event final where they gave the best player award to an Aussie administrator who never played the game.

I also think its time to ditch the Lance Todd trophy for the CC Final and name it after a British playing legend.
    Another British showpiece final where the best player award is named after a foreigner who never even played in a CC Final let alone get voted as best player in one.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Long overdue IMO to ditch the Harry Sunderland Trophy as the GF MOM and finally replace it with the Rob Burrow trophy.
    I never understood why we had our showpiece event final where they gave the best player award to an Aussie administrator who never played the game.

I also think its time to ditch the Lance Todd trophy for the CC Final and name it after a British playing legend.
    Another British showpiece final where the best player award is named after a foreigner who never even played in a CC Final let alone get voted as best player in one.
    I didn't know that Toppy I assumed they were both English?

I'm with you change the Lance Todd trophy as well.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    I didn't know that Toppy I assumed they were both English?

I'm with you change the Lance Todd trophy as well.
    Harry Sunderland was an Aussie and Lance Todd was a Kiwi

In The South Stand

Given that there were rumours of racism surrounding Sunderland, it doesn’t surprise me that it’s been renamed and I am happy that Burrow has been named. I’d have possibly called it the Sinfield Burrow Award if I was being picky but it’s a good change.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Given that there were rumours of racism surrounding Sunderland, it doesn’t surprise me that it’s been renamed and I am happy that Burrow has been named. I’d have possibly called it the Sinfield Burrow Award if I was being picky but it’s a good change.
    Not sure I understand the logic of Sinfield being included in the title. I can understand and also fully support Burrow as an honour - and like lots of awards named after people in sad circumstances this is a fitting honour and will be a legacy of his memory - but as much as Sinfield has done for fundraising, a lot of others have done the same for other causes and not been included.

As an example, our own Scully did a vast amount of fundraising for the Steve Prescott foundation during his illness and supported him on his journey similarly to Sinfield so why didnt we call the Steve Prescott man of steel award the “Prescott Sculthorpe man of steel award” as an example of other fundraisers?

Dont mean this in a dismissive way or demeaning Sinfields fundraising efforts Im more just curious as to why you think they should both be included on the award name?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by saintding View Post
    Not sure I understand the logic of Sinfield being included in the title. I can understand and also fully support Burrow as an honour - and like lots of awards named after people in sad circumstances this is a fitting honour and will be a legacy of his memory - but as much as Sinfield has done for fundraising, a lot of others have done the same for other causes and not been included.

As an example, our own Scully did a vast amount of fundraising for the Steve Prescott foundation during his illness and supported him on his journey similarly to Sinfield so why didnt we call the Steve Prescott man of steel award the “Prescott Sculthorpe man of steel award” as an example of other fundraisers?

Dont mean this in a dismissive way or demeaning Sinfields fundraising efforts Im more just curious as to why you think they should both be included on the award name?
    I think many associate the two together more than Prescott/Scully because of the national press and profile of the Burrow story. The image of Sinfield carrying Burrow has become pretty iconic so I would not have been against an inclusion of Sinfield.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Happy to see the change. Rob Burrow is pretty much a household name, even to those who don't follow our sport. Harry Sunderland, I would wager means nothing to folk, even to many who follow RL!