Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: The Sack Race 2024

Starting A Programme Collection

Default The Sack Race 2024

A reminder first that Lee Radford was crowned the 2023 Winner.

So onto the 2024 contest...

Castleford Tigers - Craig Lingard
    Catalan Dragons - Steve McNamara
    Huddersfield Giants - Ian Watson
    Hull FC - Tony Smith
    Hull KR - Willie Peters
    Leeds Rhinos - Rohan Smith
    Leigh Leopards - Adrian Lam
    London Broncos - Mike Eccles
    Salford Red Devils - Paul Rowley
    St Helens - Paul Wellens
    Warrington Wolves - Sam Burgess
    Wigan Warriors - Matty Peet

- You would say that Peet, Peters, McNamara and Lam are pretty much unsackable at their clubs.
    - Burgess should be safe, unless there is a major scandal/falling out. Even if they struggle on the pitch, it will be spun as a rebuilding year.
    - London are probably going to lose every game regardless of the coach, so no point in them sacking him.
    - Wellens is safe unless we have an absolutely stinking start and are well off the pace by Easter.
    - Lingard should be safe unless they somehow find themselves in a relegation battle with London.
    - Salford look likely to be awful, but can they afford to sack Rowley? He might jump before he is pushed if a better opportunity comes up.

Which leaves Ian Watson, Tony Smith and Rohan Smith all on dodgy ground and needing to do something big this season.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

I hope it's Burgess, following a very public, marching powder-fuelled implosion/explosion from him.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Got A Season Ticket

Tony Smith for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

1 - Rohan Smith (Leeds)
    2 - Ian Watson (Hudds)
    3 - Sam Burgess (Wire)
    4 - Paul Rowley (Salford)
    5 - Craig Lingard (Cas)

Don't reckon anyone else will come even close this year

Ian Watson has to be a good bet. Under performing for a couple of years and I don't feel their squad has improved enough to change that.

Rowley and Eccles could get caught up in cut backs if the clubs see the season as a write off.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Watson would be my bet. If Leeds have a bad start then Smith could be up for the chop. Personally think Rowley is more likely to walk than get sacked with everything going on at Salford.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand

Tony Smith could be under some pressure depending on results. They play KR twice, us, Warrington, Catalans, Leigh and Leeds in their opening ten games. Poor results in them and I can’t see him staying.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Huddersfield have Leigh, Saints and Wigan first up so could be 3 defeats from 3, but then have 4 more winnable games, so if he can hang on until those games Watson might survive.

Leeds have a tough start, they should beat Salford first up - but they then play Catalans, Hull KR, Saints and Leigh so they could be 1 win from 5 games after that, with the Easter game away at Castleford after that.

Hull FC have Hull KR, Warrington, Catalans and Leigh (plus London) - so Tony Smith could be out by the second Hull KR game at Easter, if they are only 1 win from 5.

Based on that, I think it will be either one of the Smiths.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Heart says Wigan won’t live up to expectation and Peets will go first . Head says Huddersfield will part with Watson. Tony Smith has plenty experience and has run a broom through the club so will be interesting to see how they go this year.

Wild card for the axe is Willie Peters i reckon.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Watson had to be favourite unless of course his players "Follow the process".

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by fizzy rascal View Post
    Tony Smith for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Totally agree with this.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Watson had to be favourite unless of course his players "Follow the process".
    He has started moaning already about suspensions and injuries, going to be a long season for him, thats if he doesn't get sacked first.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Think Rohan Smith will likely be under pressure this year. Leeds could be going with a brand new spine, having invested heavily and paying transfer fees.

They've signed some good players, but whether they can combine well from the get go, who knows? See they beat HKR in the recent warm-up.

Leigh beat Warrington at Halliwell Jones too... interesting to see how Warrington fair under Burgess this season as well!
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Think Rohan Smith will likely be under pressure this year. Leeds could be going with a brand new spine, having invested heavily and paying transfer fees.

They've signed some good players, but whether they can combine well from the get go, who knows? See they beat HKR in the recent warm-up.

Leigh beat Warrington at Halliwell Jones too... interesting to see how Warrington fair under Burgess this season as well!
    Rohan Smith is another who's already started whining on the back of friendlies. I can see him being gone by Easter if they don't get a decent start

In The South Stand

Not saying that I think it will be or should be Wellens but we’ve got Leeds, Leigh, Wigan and Catalans early doors and poor results in those and I can see the pressure rising. I think the rest of the early games (London, Salford and Huddersfield) are all games we should be winning with relative ease but I think it’s the other games I mentioned that could cause issues if we aren’t picking up wins in them.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Not saying that I think it will be or should be Wellens but we’ve got Leeds, Leigh, Wigan and Catalans early doors and poor results in those and I can see the pressure rising. I think the rest of the early games (London, Salford and Huddersfield) are all games we should be winning with relative ease but I think it’s the other games I mentioned that could cause issues if we aren’t picking up wins in them.
    I think we will be aiming for a strong start this year, but yeah - if things do wrong in those games vs Leigh and Leeds again like they did at the start of 2023 (and/or in any of those "easy" games) then the pressure will be piling on him by Good Friday and the trip to Catalans.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Not saying that I think it will be or should be Wellens but weíve got Leeds, Leigh, Wigan and Catalans early doors and poor results in those and I can see the pressure rising. I think the rest of the early games (London, Salford and Huddersfield) are all games we should be winning with relative ease but I think itís the other games I mentioned that could cause issues if we arenít picking up wins in them.
    I don't feel confident at all that referees and the disciplinary will be any better this season, in fact I thik the games will be more of a lottery this year and hence wins and losses might be more of a suprise. If that happens coaches will be very frustrated as it won't be easy to blame the coaching in isolation. Its amusing that most Yorkshire club coaches are making predictions and getting their excuses in early already.