Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Next season

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Don’t think there’s too much to read into the squad numbers. Clark has got the 9 shirt as expected and Whitley has a squad player number. Upgrades for the likes of Delaney. Likes of Bennison, Mata’utia, Hurrell keeping their numbers despite possibly moving positions or not being first choice. Apparently Hurrell wanted to keep the 23 shirt and putting anyone other than a new signing in the 3 shirt would have been ridiculous.
    Yeah exactly that, I presume the discussion was not to change anyone around. The only one I think they may have looked at would be Bennison / Ritson swapping, but that comes with a host of questions, reports about Ritson but then ultimately demotivates Bennison after a much lauded talk of giving him the number five jersey last year.

Davies being named at three would have been horrendous for all involved, including Davies who'd took all sorts of grief through no fault of his own

Got A Season Ticket

I’m struggling a bit with the Bennison/Ritson conundrum.
    With Bennison keeping the 5 shirt, it suggests that he’s going to be first choice next season. If this is the case, why did Saints pay £20,000 for a 27 year old “project” (28 when the season starts)? Why not just let him go back to Barrow? There are some promising youngsters in the squad that could have covered in the event of injuries/suspensions.
    If Ritson is going to be first choice, why not give him the 5 shirt?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Samphire15 View Post
    With Bennison keeping the 5 shirt, it suggests that he’s going to be first choice next season. If this is the case, why did Saints pay £20,000 for a 27 year old “project” (28 when the season starts)? Why not just let him go back to Barrow? There are some promising youngsters in the squad that could have covered in the event of injuries/suspensions.
    I wondered about that as well. Perhaps there’s an element of not wanting to demote Bennison while still keeping the competitive aspect from next year. I hope they both step up this year. I still believe Bennison isn’t a winger but he’s a fullback. So will he be good enough to take that spot in the event of injury to Lomax or Welsby? Ritson probably has a better chance of starting on the wing than Bennison. It suggests our young crop of wingers aren’t ready yet by any means.

I also the vacant number 3 means we’re close to signing a centre, in which case Bennison getting game time there is unlikely. It’s difficult to know where Bennison actually fits in the team. I think he is a potential talent though so I can see why Wellens would want to keep him happy

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I wondered about that as well. Perhaps there’s an element of not wanting to demote Bennison while still keeping the competitive aspect from next year. I hope they both step up this year. I still believe Bennison isn’t a winger but he’s a fullback. So will he be good enough to take that spot in the event of injury to Lomax or Welsby? Ritson probably has a better chance of starting on the wing than Bennison. It suggests our young crop of wingers aren’t ready yet by any means.

I also the vacant number 3 means we’re close to signing a centre, in which case Bennison getting game time there is unlikely. It’s difficult to know where Bennison actually fits in the team. I think he is a potential talent though so I can see why Wellens would want to keep him happy
    Agree to a certain point. However, Bennison is a professional sportsman, so if he can’t handle being given the shirt number that allies with his “position” in the squad, then maybe he’s in the wrong profession, or are the club being so woke that they don’t want to hurt his feelings?
    If he’s pushed down the pecking order and gets the shirt number to go with it, it’ll either make him better himself to get back to being first choice, or he’ll wander off aimlessly to another club as many have done before him. Either way, Saints get the best out of the situation.

Learning All The Songs

Agree to ascertain point. However, Bennison is a professional sportsman, so if he can’t handle being given the shirt number that allies with his “position” in the squad, then maybe he’s in the wrong profession, or are the club being so woke that they don’t want to hurt his feelings?
    Yep, fair point

Got A Season Ticket

With the vacant No 3 shirt, I feel the club have dug themselves a bit of a hole.
    If they’d really gone after the man they wanted and got him early, it could have had a decent impact and supporters would have been onside with it, believing that the club recognised the need for a replacement and got the best in that they could afford.
    To me, the feeling now is that whoever they sign, it’ll more than likely be one of the names already touted about (Hunt, Olam, etc) and when announced, everyone will be totally non-plussed, especially as it’s been known that these players would be off contract months and months ago. It could also be viewed that we were the last resort for the player as no one else wanted him.
    I can understand the need to get the right player at the right price, but it now seems as though we’re shopping in the bargain basement because that’s all that’s left to buy.

I think you’re probably reading too much into what is really a superficial indication of where things stand before pre-season has even started. Bennison ended the season in possession of the shirt ahead of Ritson so it’s only fair that he get the number. But my suspicion is that neither of them will be first choice and whoever ends up wearing no. 3 will start the season on the wing. Even if that’s the case, Ritson provides decent back up and will have the opportunity to prove that he’s something more than that.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think you’re probably reading too much into what is really a superficial indication of where things stand before pre-season has even started. Bennison ended the season in possession of the shirt ahead of Ritson so it’s only fair that he get the number. But my suspicion is that neither of them will be first choice and whoever ends up wearing no. 3 will start the season on the wing. Even if that’s the case, Ritson provides decent back up and will have the opportunity to prove that he’s something more than that.
    I’m probably old fashioned but why reserve a centre’s number for a potential winger? Why sign Ritson from Barrow if we’re not going to select him as a first choice winger? As Samphire has posted, he’s going to be 28 at the start of the season and can’t be viewed as a project.

I’d be happy to think that a fully fit and unsigned Regan Grace may be on his way back but a poster on the rumours thread has discounted that.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Is this the 1st time we've announced squad numbers with no number 3?

Can't recall it happening before. Mad when you think of some of the number 3s we've had down the years - Gibbs, Iro, Gleeson, Lyon, Gidley, Naiqama etc etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Is this the 1st time we've announced squad numbers with no number 3?

Can't recall it happening before. Mad when you think of some of the number 3s we've had down the years - Gibbs, Iro, Gleeson, Lyon, Gidley, Naiqama etc etc.
    Seem to recall when we signed sean Long in 97 he was given the number 3 shirt, can't remember whether it was due to it being vacant at the start of season or because we had moved someone on. Hunte maybe ? Long time ago but no its certainly a rare occurance .

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I’m probably old fashioned but why reserve a centre’s number for a potential winger? Why sign Ritson from Barrow if we’re not going to select him as a first choice winger? As Samphire has posted, he’s going to be 28 at the start of the season and can’t be viewed as a project.

I’d be happy to think that a fully fit and unsigned Regan Grace may be on his way back but a poster on the rumours thread has discounted that.
    I think we’ll sign a player (or at least will be looking for a player) who can play across the back line. They’ll get the number 3 because that’s the number vacated by Hopoate. I don’t think it needs to be any more complicated than that - squad numbers are basically meaningless and have been for years.

Ritson isn’t and shouldn’t be guaranteed a first team place just because we signed him from Barrow. Like almost all championship recruits it’ll take time either for him to prove that he’s our best bet or that he can’t cut it at this level. Yes, he’s 28 soon but has relatively low mileage for his age and if he comes good this year we could still get a good four or five years out him.

Got A Replica Shirt

It seems fairly clear to me, if Hurrel is happy with his squad number then no need to give him No 3 if another Centre is also being looked at to come in. The same with Ritson who at 28 is maybe happy enough to keep his squad number and as it seems that another winger isn't coming in then why not let Bennison keep it and not upset things by being viewed as a demotion. It does not mean who will actually be seen as the starting winger or in Hurrels case the starting centre. Pre season training and fitness may determine who gets the nod.

Learning All The Songs Blue Harvest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
    Seem to recall when we signed sean Long in 97 he was given the number 3 shirt, can't remember whether it was due to it being vacant at the start of season or because we had moved someone on. Hunte maybe ? Long time ago but no its certainly a rare occurance .
    Hunte left at the end of the season but was squad number 21 iirc. I can only presue it was left empty after Gibbs departure.
    Wasn't it 96/97 that we had both Martyn and Hunte out for prolonged periods hence they both ended up with numbers in the 20s?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Could Bennison be given first shot at Centre?
    Learned comment from The Don

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    Could Bennison be given first shot at Centre?
    I would be amazed if this happened. Assuming Percival is 1st choice then I would still have Hurrell, Whitley, Davies, Batchelor all ahead of Bennison as the other centre option.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I would be amazed if this happened. Assuming Percival is 1st choice then I would still have Hurrell, Whitley, Davies, Batchelor all ahead of Bennison as the other centre option.
    Mmmm not sure we are seeing the best of him on the wing.I think he would be better used at centre which may allow him to use his all round abilities other than getting bashed bringing the ball out ,catching bombs and getting cold waiting for a pass?

Paul Loughlin made the move successfully?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Mmmm not sure we are seeing the best of him on the wing.I think he would be better used at centre which may allow him to use his all round abilities other than getting bashed bringing the ball out ,catching bombs and getting cold waiting for a pass?

He's never a Centre in a million years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

What are the "all round abilities" that make you think he could be a centre? He doesn't have the size, strength, power for a start. He's never shown any evidence of particularly good passing skills and he's hardly known for great footwork and the ability to beat a man. Could he get on the outside of his opposite man and draw in the winger and get a pass away? Never seen anything to suggest he could.

He's a solid enough back up option on the wing but I'm sorry, that's all he ever will be. He's not good enough to be a starting full back or centre in this team. Should the time come that he's starting at 1 or 3 regularly, it would mean he's improved in most areas of his game at an alarming rate or there's something gone seriously wrong with our team.

In The South Stand

What are the "all round abilities" that make you think he could be a centre? He doesn't have the size, strength, power for a start. He's never shown any evidence of particularly good passing skills and he's hardly known for great footwork and the ability to beat a man. Could he get on the outside of his opposite man and draw in the winger and get a pass away? Never seen anything to suggest he could.

He's a solid enough back up option on the wing but I'm sorry, that's all he ever will be. He's not good enough to be a starting full back or centre in this team. Should the time come that he's starting at 1 or 3 regularly, it would mean he's improved in most areas of his game at an alarming rate or there's something gone seriously wrong with our team.
    Yeah, I'm with you. He's seems to have come through more by chance than by him putting pressure on the first team players, then taking his opportunity. If we had a fit Regan Grace and he hadn't moved to Union, we might have only seen Bennison once or twice. I don't see any natural ability there that makes me think he's a likely prospect. He seems uncomfortable on the wing, he was always being criticised for not passing when he played fullback too. He gets obliterated running the ball back from the wing, I don't see what good moving him inside will do. It would even largely negate the one good attribute he has shown, his ability to take the high balls.

He's one of those young players who is fine for cover for multiple positions until he decides he wants a first team starter's salary. If we have him and Davies playing the majority of games anywhere in the 17, it's a failing of the squad.

Learning All The Songs

With the vacant No 3 shirt, I feel the club have dug themselves a bit of a hole.
    If they’d really gone after the man they wanted and got him early, it could have had a decent impact and supporters would have been onside with it, believing that the club recognised the need for a replacement and got the best in that they could afford.
    To me, the feeling now is that whoever they sign, it’ll more than likely be one of the names already touted about (Hunt, Olam, etc) and when announced, everyone will be totally non-plussed, especially as it’s been known that these players would be off contract months and months ago. It could also be viewed that we were the last resort for the player as no one else wanted him.
    I can understand the need to get the right player at the right price, but it now seems as though we’re shopping in the bargain basement because that’s all that’s left to buy.
    Olam isn't OOC so if he is Saints main target (as has been reported both over here and in the NRL) then it makes sense to leave the 3 shirt vacant. I suspect there's lots of discussions going on behind closed doors with Olam and the Storm. They've said publically that they'll only let him go to another NRL team if they get a player in return that they want (like Bloor from the Tigers) so I do think Saints signing Olam is very much dependant on whether the Storm get a deal they want. If not then he'll likely be heading to SL and hopefully to Saints.
    I can't see many Saints fans being non-plussed if we do land Olam, he's been one of the best center's in the NRL for several years. He would be without doubt one of the best centers in SL if he came.

If Saints don't manage to land Olam then they probably do have some 'back-up' players in mind and its likely the club will already have held discussions with those players, or at least their agents, to sound them out about a possible move over here.

I like him.Not prepared to slag him off before he's had a proper chance.

I like him.Not prepared to slag him off before he's had a proper chance.
    Not slagging him off, just giving an honest opinion of him. As for not having a chance he's played 40 games.

Not slagging him off, just giving an honest opinion of him. As for not having a chance he's played 40 games.
    He's not a winger.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you. He's seems to have come through more by chance than by him putting pressure on the first team players, then taking his opportunity. If we had a fit Regan Grace and he hadn't moved to Union, we might have only seen Bennison once or twice. I don't see any natural ability there that makes me think he's a likely prospect. He seems uncomfortable on the wing, he was always being criticised for not passing when he played fullback too. He gets obliterated running the ball back from the wing, I don't see what good moving him inside will do. It would even largely negate the one good attribute he has shown, his ability to take the high balls.

He's one of those young players who is fine for cover for multiple positions until he decides he wants a first team starter's salary. If we have him and Davies playing the majority of games anywhere in the 17, it's a failing of the squad.
    How would a player with only 'one good attribute' (your words) be fine to 'cover multiple positions' ?

Learning All The Songs

I would like to see what he’s like at fullback, but clearly Welsby rightly owns that, so I don’t see how he will play there. The only chance is an injury to Welsby and are Lomax and hopefully that won’t happen. I really like his attitude and bravery but sadly, I’m not sure he can regularly command to priority place in the near future.