Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Catalan Away April 24

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Noooobie

Default Catalan Away April 24

Hi, i am after some advice i want to travel to Catalan having never been before with my two Sons 12 and 19. I want to stay for a few days and book a hotel with a pool etc im not looking for anything spectacular just a break. I want to take in the match etc. I have never done this before i don't know if i should be booking now or nearer the time? also the easiest most cost effective way to travel. I also want to enjoy the pubs etc where the Saints fans will be and take in the experience/atmosphere. Can you please let me know the best way? Thank you
    Last edited by Div; 13th January 2024 at 12:53.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Saint1873 View Post
    Hi, i am after some advice i want to travel to Catalan having never been before with my two Sons 12 and 19. I want to stay for a few days and book a hotel with a pool etc im not looking for anything spectacular just a break. I want to take in the match etc. I have never done this before i don't know if i should be booking now or nearer the time? also the easiest most cost effective way to travel. I also want to enjoy the pubs etc where the Saints fans will be and take in the experience/atmosphere. Can you please let me know the best way? Thank you
    Wait till the fixtures are out, unless you know something I don't?

In my experience, east mids to carcassone was the best for flights.

Hotels with pool I can't help as we stayed in an IBIS in Perpignan

Got A Season Ticket

We don't know when the game is yet so it may not be pool weather.

My advice would be to hang on and then get on booking.com or similar and stipulate your requirements in the search filters.

I quite fancy going myself this year, me and my mate were talking about it a couple of weeks ago. 2 dads, 2 lads and get an airbnb for a long weekend if possible. I'm sure there was a handy flight from Liverpool last year although I didn't go so may just have imagined that.

Noooobie

I am sorry i looked on google and have looked at the 2023 fixtures my fault.

Learning All The Songs

I am sorry i looked on google and have looked at the 2023 fixtures my fault.
    Don't bother booking that one, we lost. Not worth it.

Noooobie

Hi, Looking at the Catalan fixture on the 6th April. I have looked at the Holiday Inn as suggested above looks spot on. 3 nights 2 adults 1 child £280. That will do for me. Having looked at flights they seem a fortune. Anyone looked or got any ideas? i am flexible 3/4 nights. Appreciate the advise

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJ View Post
    We don't know when the game is yet so it may not be pool weather.

My advice would be to hang on and then get on booking.com or similar and stipulate your requirements in the search filters.

I quite fancy going myself this year, me and my mate were talking about it a couple of weeks ago. 2 dads, 2 lads and get an airbnb for a long weekend if possible. I'm sure there was a handy flight from Liverpool last year although I didn't go so may just have imagined that.
    Exactly what i am going to do hopefully. Having never been etc i am just looking for pointers, best way to travel, best bars the fans go etc

Got A Season Ticket

Exactly what i am going to do hopefully. Having never been etc i am just looking for pointers, best way to travel, best bars the fans go etc
    No worries at all, I've not been for 11 years myself so not too familiar on the specifics but my plan was just to play it by ear. It's not a big city so you'll find were all the fans congregate fairly easily anyway. A good tip that you can do on skyscanner is to set up an alert for certain flight routes so that may be worth it if you're on a budget.

Noooobie

In terms of pubs, Delirium Bar in the centre is full of saints fans. And round by Le Castillet too

Starting A Programme Collection

If I was going for a few days I'd go to Canet, stay there 2/3 nights get a hotel with a pool etc then head into Perpignan Friday to Sunday. You can get a bus from/to perpignan easy enough, takes 30 mins.

Cost effective flight way would be London Stansted to Perpignan/Beziers or Carcassone I'd imagine but you've got fuel etc.

You can fly from Leeds and Birmingham to Perpignan.

You can fly Manchester to Carcassone as well which would be ideal but depends on price, got to get a train once you're there. There's a bus stop outside the airport that goes to the station on a timetable based around flights. This is the same with Beziers.

Perpignan has livened up now, I've been going there for 10 years and it used to have very little but there's 4/5 bars now so it's a bit better.

Some go to Lloret, It's lively there and you can get a transfer with Catalan Sports Tours to and from the game (2 hours each way). You'd fly to Barcelona or Girona for that and then get a bus. Catalan sports tours used to do airport pick ups, not sure if they still do.

Obviously wait for the fixtures (Nov 23rd) but I'd book straight away if you can.

Couple of rumoured dates knocking about (early April and early July two I've heard) but always best to wait for the fixtures.

Hope this helps!

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    If I was going for a few days I'd go to Canet, stay there 2/3 nights get a hotel with a pool etc then head into Perpignan Friday to Sunday. You can get a bus from/to perpignan easy enough, takes 30 mins.

Cost effective flight way would be London Stansted to Perpignan/Beziers or Carcassone I'd imagine but you've got fuel etc.

You can fly from Leeds and Birmingham to Perpignan.

You can fly Manchester to Carcassone as well which would be ideal but depends on price, got to get a train once you're there. There's a bus stop outside the airport that goes to the station on a timetable based around flights. This is the same with Beziers.

Perpignan has livened up now, I've been going there for 10 years and it used to have very little but there's 4/5 bars now so it's a bit better.

Some go to Lloret, It's lively there and you can get a transfer with Catalan Sports Tours to and from the game (2 hours each way). You'd fly to Barcelona or Girona for that and then get a bus. Catalan sports tours used to do airport pick ups, not sure if they still do.

Obviously wait for the fixtures (Nov 23rd) but I'd book straight away if you can.

Couple of rumoured dates knocking about (early April and early July two I've heard) but always best to wait for the fixtures.

Hope this helps!
    Brilliant! thanks

Got A Replica Shirt

Anybody recommend the best pubs in Perpignan for Friday night and before the match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loads of places depends on what you are looking for.
    If you want to be in amongst the Saints fans you really won't miss them around the Castille but there are plenty of nice restaurants, bars and wine bars and some lovely squares to sit out in (if the weather suits). I wouldn't try to plan everything it's a nice place play it by ear and enjoy.
    Not booked yet the flights available don't suit.. Hoping more flights released at some point.

We had a great night at The Delirium Cafe the night before the play off with plenty of fans but did our own thing away from the throng on match day with a few bottles of red and it was chilled.

A word of warning there is virtually nothing in the vicinity of the stadium.

Starting A Programme Collection

Delirium is a new bar, a good addition to be fair.

Arena sports bar is alright. OFlahertys Irish bar is also decent. They’re close to eachother.

It’s come a long way Perpignan over the last few years, was very little to do at one point but just around there now there’s a few decent places and there’s another Irish bar near the castle.

There’s a square called Place De La Republique that was restaurants/bars as well.

Finally booked flights yesterday. It can be tricky getting the right flights especially early in the year before the summer routes kick in. Perpignan is not the easiest place to get to and there are very few direct flights- went via Beziers and Carcassonne last year for the two fixtures.

Ryanair had flash sale on Wednesday / Thursday so managed to get Manchester-Girona at reasonable price return. Thursday-Monday. Price has doubled today so glad I didn't think about it too long!!

Deliberating whether to stay the Sunday night in Girona- anyone been and is it worth a night there instead of extra night in Perpignan?

Seems to be plenty of trains and buses between Girona and Perpignan anyway.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Finally booked flights yesterday. It can be tricky getting the right flights especially early in the year before the summer routes kick in. Perpignan is not the easiest place to get to and there are very few direct flights- went via Beziers and Carcassonne last year for the two fixtures.

Ryanair had flash sale on Wednesday / Thursday so managed to get Manchester-Girona at reasonable price return. Thursday-Monday. Price has doubled today so glad I didn't think about it too long!!

Deliberating whether to stay the Sunday night in Girona- anyone been and is it worth a night there instead of extra night in Perpignan?

A few Irish pubs in Girona and plenty of good restaurants. If you take the train it’s worth taking the AVE (high speed). It costs a bit more but is much faster and more comfortable. The normal train takes forever and I think you need to change trains at the border.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post

I spent an unintended day/night there a few years ago because the trains over to Perpignan were on strike (the day before the game luckily).
    The centre is quite nice and old worldy . City walls to walk along. Spanish too, so it was a bit cheaper. I'd stay again if the flights worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    Delirium is a new bar, a good addition to be fair.

Arena sports bar is alright. OFlahertys Irish bar is also decent. They’re close to eachother.

It’s come a long way Perpignan over the last few years, was very little to do at one point but just around there now there’s a few decent places and there’s another Irish bar near the castle.

There’s a square called Place De La Republique that was restaurants/bars as well.
    Had a good night in Delirium with the Gerard lot the Thursday before for the play off game last season.

There are lots of nice places for a drink if you wander the streets. Some nice squares.