Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matt Whitley

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    There are a few on Twitter saying to expect an announcement on that over the coming days. Also centre/winger a week or two later. Whether they're just old rumours going round in the wash, who knows.
    I mean, after the Wigan rumours died down, theres not really much more to say about it until the club announce it. There were plenty starting to doubt the Whitley rumours given how long it took the club to announce it and its no different with Eseh.

Hopefully the current rumours are right with announcements over the coming weeks, so we can got into the Christmas period with a good understanding of the squad we will be working with.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    Whitley is just a replacement for Mata'utia who is moving up to prop to replace LMS so I am not sure why there is such an issue over Whitley signing and where he fits in.

I really like him and he offers a different type of line threat than Batchelor and Sironen. Those three rotating in the back row is quite exciting with Knowles and Bell taking up LF.

We just need a winger/centre and another prop to plug the Paasi gap and I think that covers us.
    Taking away the MRP when are Batch, Sironen and Whitley likely to rotate though?

Batch and Sironen are both 80 minute modern day back-rowers.
    Knowles and Bell share the 13 responsibilities.
    I can only see Whitley being on the bench each week. It strikes me as though Whitley was signed when we thought Sione was going, still a really good player but the money in all honesty would have been best spent in the backs, new centre or new left winger if Sione had made his decision sooner.

We’ve shown our hand and we’re going up the middle again in 2024.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Posters on here blamed Wellens for not sorting out the discipline. It was hard for Wellens to stamp down on it. The best way to set an example was to drop one of the regular offenders. The MRP and injuries made this hard to do without running the risk of it causing lost points. Now with Whitley as the extra cover for Sironen and Matautia, Bell can cover for Knowles and players can be moved around to cover for Lees. This will give Wellens a chance to stamp down on indiscipline.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Taking away the MRP when are Batch, Sironen and Whitley likely to rotate though?

Batch and Sironen are both 80 minute modern day back-rowers.
    Knowles and Bell share the 13 responsibilities.
    I can only see Whitley being on the bench each week. It strikes me as though Whitley was signed when we thought Sione was going, still a really good player but the money in all honesty would have been best spent in the backs, new centre or new left winger if Sione had made his decision sooner.

We’ve shown our hand and we’re going up the middle again in 2024.
    I would imagine Matautia, Sironen and Knowles would be rotated at prop until Passi returns. It looks as though we are going with a fast mobile pack with Clark and Mbye now in the mix. We really need another back up centre but that could now be Whitley and Batchelor as Vaughn gets gradually introduced into the side.

I also think if the disciplinary doesn't change then I don't expect Matautia, Sironen and Knowles playing many consecutive games together. Whitley like Batchelor is quite disciplined so I expect plenty of games from them.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    Posters on here blamed Wellens for not sorting out the discipline. It was hard for Wellens to stamp down on it. The best way to set an example was to drop one of the regular offenders. The MRP and injuries made this hard to do without running the risk of it causing lost points. Now with Whitley as the extra cover for Sironen and Matautia, Bell can cover for Knowles and players can be moved around to cover for Lees. This will give Wellens a chance to stamp down on indiscipline.
    Wellens doesn't really have a choice. The pressure to ban players and the length of ban is only going to rise as the insurance companies continue to jack up the premiums as a way of mitigating potential head injury liabilities on the back end. If players are picking up 2, 3 & 4 matches for X, Y & Z respectively today then tomorrow it's going to be 3, 4 & 6 matches. The trend is upwards and will continue to be so. This is the undeniable reality full collision and contact sports face in a post-CTE world. If Wellens can't get a grip of the usual offenders (Matautia, Knowles, Lees) we are going to have major problems on our hands next season. It might even end up costing him his job.

It does raise an important question: What is the purpose of banning players?

You might say, "That's easy - as a punishment and a deterrance". OK, I accept that. But if players are getting referred to the MRP and then two weeks later they go out and do the same thing again - what's the deterrance?

It would be interesting to find out what the stats are on recividism in RL. What is the liklihood that player X will pick up another ban after serving one. I think if you could draw up a table containing every professional player it would yield some fascinating results.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

The MRP and RFL have already created a problem for themselves with insurance companies. I don't think there is a fan of Superleague who wouldn't say that the play off games were refereed to a differing standard of player protection. Head contact was dealt with far more leniently in these games, making it very hard to argue that player welfare was being taken into account to the same degree as throughout the regular season.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Learning All The Songs

Good 2nd rower Whitley. He will do well for us.

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

Whitley a very good player and pleased he has finally been announced. We've got some pack for next season, Clark should have a field day if we can maintain the territorial dominance we have enjoyed this season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    Good 2nd rower Whitley. He will do well for us.
    When there was talk of him coming here from Widnes I was against it. Now I think hes one of the best SRs in SL

Got A Season Ticket

Am I dreaming or was Whitley at saints as a junior? Just wondering if this helps on the cap if true?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    Am I dreaming or was Whitley at saints as a junior? Just wondering if this helps on the cap if true?
    No you are right he was. He is a local lad. His family live in Haydock I think.

The assistance on the cap you are referring to is the Club Trained exemption. To apply, a player must have, for any 3 full seasons before the end of the season in which he ceases to be eligible by age to play at Under 21 level, been on the club's register. No idea if he qualifies.

However, it is probably not something that will help because you can only apply it to take 100k off your cap. You can apply 5k to each player who has played 10 matches in that particular season. Something that needs looking at.

Starting A Programme Collection