Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Players leaving the club...

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

Not massively surprised by any of these given their general lack of progress throughout the season.

It's a shame that Hopoate hasn't been fit enough to show us a bit more, I really rate him and he's a great bloke.

Was impressed with Pemberton and Baxter's brief cameos in the team (Cas and Dragons respectively) but clearly not rated highly enough. Not crazy about Baxter's treatment this season tbh, more than once he's been left unused on the bench which doesn't sit right with me but again there may be good reason.

Norman I still feel has potential but missing a bit of mongrel, he's still got plenty of time to prove us wrong but needs a change in attitude to do it and if he can't get motivated to play for us you have to wonder who will get it out of him.

Can't say I've seen enough of the rest but I hope above all that Foster can finally get fit and make a go of it in the game, he's had some awful luck over the past few years.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by StTony View Post
    Sam Royle too, think he was off contract.
    That's an interesting one. He's alright for cover now and again and seems a consumate professional, but you wouldn't want him starting in any big games. I wonder how long he's been given. It'd be nice if the club told us about these things wouldn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by theres only one stan wall View Post
    It confirms the re-signings of Wingfield & Ritson too.
    Does it confirm Ritson though? As he is only on loan would they count him as a departing Saints player? If he is staying heíll be announced as a new signing I think.
    I am angry, I am ill and I'm as ugly as sin ...

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMo View Post
    Does it confirm Ritson though? As he is only on loan would they count him as a departing Saints player? If he is staying he’ll be announced as a new signing I think.
    https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post...departure-list

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by NSL View Post
    Was impressed with Pemberton and Baxter's brief cameos in the team (Cas and Dragons respectively) but clearly not rated highly enough. Not crazy about Baxter's treatment this season tbh, more than once he's been left unused on the bench which doesn't sit right with me but again there may be good reason.

Norman I still feel has potential but missing a bit of mongrel, he's still got plenty of time to prove us wrong but needs a change in attitude to do it and if he can't get motivated to play for us you have to wonder who will get it out of him.
    Couldn't see anything in Baxter at all. Not mobile enough for the back-row and way too small for the front row. He's a similar size to Lees but without the hard ball running and aggressive tackling.
    As for Norman, can't think of anyone who runs so weakly for such a big guy. Someone his size should be scattering defenders but it almost like he stops and braces himself just before impact. If he ran as hard as a Lees, Delaney or Percival he could have been one of the best props in the comp but he lacks the aggression. This is a fundamental must have for a front rower and its something he'll just never have.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMo View Post
    Does it confirm Ritson though? As he is only on loan would they count him as a departing Saints player? If he is staying he’ll be announced as a new signing I think.
    It says Wingfield & Ritson will remain at the club beyond 2023

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Couldn't see anything in Baxter at all. Not mobile enough for the back-row and way too small for the front row. He's a similar size to Lees but without the hard ball running and aggressive tackling.
    As for Norman, can't think of anyone who runs so weakly for such a big guy. Someone his size should be scattering defenders but it almost like he stops and braces himself just before impact. If he ran as hard as a Lees, Delaney or Percival he could have been one of the best props in the comp but he lacks the aggression. This is a fundamental must have for a front rower and its something he'll just never have.
    All true. Hard to think who they would displace too and there is plenty of competition ahead of them. If Eseh comes in he's younger and got more about him than both and it allows a clearer run for the likes of Stephens too.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    I’d like to say Norman was an disappointment, but he had basically failed everywhere he had been. Big frame small heart.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    I’d like to say Norman was an disappointment, but he had basically failed everywhere he had been. Big frame small heart.
    It's a shame because he's obviously got the fitness,but heart is something you can't coach, either have it or you don't.

Got A Season Ticket

Wish you'd stop all slating Norman for a small heart crap!

Just because your physically big does not mean you can naturally run through walls.

His not a world beater and he'd be the first to know that but all thi no heart crap ? Have some respect. His pulled out jersey on and gone to battle for this club

I don't know him personally but it really get my back up when I see people saying his got no heart.

It's not lik the lad moves out the way of making tackles etc...

Got A Season Ticket grungellamas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Titan Saint View Post

Just because your physically big does not mean you can naturally run through walls.

His not a world beater and he'd be the first to know that but all thi no heart crap ? Have some respect. His pulled out jersey on and gone to battle for this club

I don't know him personally but it really get my back up when I see people saying his got no heart.

Thank you for saying this - I couldn't agree more.

In The South Stand

Well said. I donít rate the lad but the no heart / soft stuff is too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Totally agree.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

With his size and his fitness he should have been able to run a lot harder than he did.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane sums him up. He doesn't run with anything like the same intensity or aggression that the likes of Lees or Delaney do. That's all on him and his attitude; hence why Saints have shown him the door.

He's far better on instagram than he is on a rugby field.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Well said. Itís complete claptrap.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane sums him up. He doesn't run with anything like the same intensity or aggression that the likes of Lees or Delaney do. That's all on him and his attitude; hence why Saints have shown him the door.

He's far better on instagram than he is on a rugby field.
    I still don't know why he doesn't go full-time with his PT business. He's clearly doing well with it and if he went full-time he'd do even better. Quitting the sport means he looks after his body better which is relevant for his business. Its not as though he's going to play International or end up in the NRL.

Of course he may love the sport and enjoy playing but I know what I would do.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I think the club have been fairly patient with him trying to convert him from a "Project Player" to a Superleague Player. He just doesn't seem to show any heart and passion to lift the team, I don't know if he is a quiet lad of the field but he needed to show some agression on it. The club are right in letting him go, standards are high at Saints and Norman will just be a Championship player.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I dont think it's a lack of heart, I just don't think he's at our level. He'll probably play lower SL / Championship level for the rest of his career. He'll be at Leigh next year and suspect he'll be a squad player for them and nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

I think people underestimate the kind of psychology that's required for a top prop. It's not just a matter of effort - you basically have to be a bit mentally unhinged. IMO it's a bit like pace or cool-headedness or a great sidestep: it's something you've either got or you haven't, and if you haven't then no amount of coaching or effort is going to bring it out on a consistent basis. Just because someone is big doesn't necessarily mean that they'll have this quality, just as being small doesn't necessarily make you able to control a game from half-back.

Norman is clearly blessed with the physical attributes for the position but just completely lacks the mental side of it. But that doesn't for me mean that he's got no heart or is lazy or anything like that. He's just not a top SL prop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I think people underestimate the kind of psychology that's required for a top prop. It's not just a matter of effort - you basically have to be a bit mentally unhinged. IMO it's a bit like pace or cool-headedness or a great sidestep: it's something you've either got or you haven't, and if you haven't then no amount of coaching or effort is going to bring it out on a consistent basis. Just because someone is big doesn't necessarily mean that they'll have this quality, just as being small doesn't necessarily make you able to control a game from half-back.

Norman is clearly blessed with the physical attributes for the position but just completely lacks the mental side of it. But that doesn't for me mean that he's got no heart or is lazy or anything like that. He's just not a top SL prop.
    He's not lazy but you're right he lacks the mental side of it which is what people are talking about when they mention lack of heart/bottle. It's attitude/bravery/courage whatever you want to call it; he doesn't have it. He simply isn't tough enough to be a top player.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post

Itís just frustrating to see the likes of Lees and Delaney throw themselves at the defensive line with no thought of their own personal safety, then you have someone 6í5 and built like a brick shithouse who doesnít do the same. Itís a shame it didnít work out.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

Prop is the most Psychological position in the game. Very few have the mental ability to be a top prop. We have been very lucky over the last few years with some stellar performers.
    Learned comment from The Don

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    It’s just frustrating to see the likes of Lees and Delaney throw themselves at the defensive line with no thought of their own personal safety, then you have someone 6’5 and built like a brick shithouse who doesn’t do the same.
    Exactly. He doesn't commit himself wholeheartedly on the field, that's clear to see. I don't get why people are defending him to be honest. I've played and coached the game for 35 years and I know a pea heart when I see one. I've spoken to people who have played with and against him and they've all said the same.

Got A Season Ticket grungellamas's Avatar

Exactly. He doesn't commit himself wholeheartedly on the field, that's clear to see. I don't get why people are defending him to be honest. I've played and coached the game for 35 years and I know a pea heart when I see one. I've spoken to people who have played with and against him and they've all said the same.
    IMO I think that you can say that someone is not good enough to play for Saints without saying they have a pea heart or are lazy. I personally find it's rude. The players put on the shirt and work hard for the club. Whether or not they are deemed good enough they still put the effort in. I've not read any comments saying that we're making a mistake by letting him go. He was signed as a project and it's not worked out. It's possible to just say 'Thanks and good luck'.