Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 92

Thread: Saints Scholarship > Acadamy

  1. #1
    Got A Season Ticket The Meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    124
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Saints Scholarship > Acadamy

    It was interesting to see the recent group of star graduates from Saints Scholarship being promoted into the Academy - well done lads!

    Apart from Thomas Humphrys from Newton Storm, the rest of these players came from RL Service Areas outside the St Helens borough.

    I’m not criticising our youth recruitment policies in any way - but does this mean we may be missing out on local St Helens born & bred talented youth who are being recruited by other club scholarships or academies? It’s just strange to not see a player coming through from one of the big local amateur clubs like Blackbrook or Thatto Heath.
    ďWith great power comes great responsibilityĒ

  2. #2
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,067
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Meister View Post
    It was interesting to see the recent group of star graduates from Saints Scholarship being promoted into the Academy - well done lads!

    Apart from Thomas Humphrys from Newton Storm, the rest of these players came from RL Service Areas outside the St Helens borough.

    I’m not criticising our youth recruitment policies in any way - but does this mean we may be missing out on local St Helens born & bred talented youth who are being recruited by other club scholarships or academies? It’s just strange to not see a player coming through from one of the big local amateur clubs like Blackbrook or Thatto Heath.
    It just depends what's happening with the teams in that age group. You can get age groups where all the St Helens sides are in the Premier Division and have outstanding teams. You can also have years where they are mostly in the lower divisions and the better players have moved to Prem teams in Wigan or Warrington. Before scholarship age a lot get twitchy and move to what they perceive is the best team. There is usually one or two mega teams by scholarship age that vacuum up all the best talent in that age group. You also get clubs getting a link into a certain junior setup and suddenly all their players will sign for one team, like we did with Rylands a few years ago.
    Last edited by Saddened!; 14th September 2023 at 12:48.

  3. #3
    really is sorry Reacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wigan
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,891
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Saints Scholarship > Acadamy

    Quote Originally Posted by The Meister View Post
    It was interesting to see the recent group of star graduates from Saints Scholarship being promoted into the Academy - well done lads!

    Apart from Thomas Humphrys from Newton Storm, the rest of these players came from RL Service Areas outside the St Helens borough.

    Iím not criticising our youth recruitment policies in any way - but does this mean we may be missing out on local St Helens born & bred talented youth who are being recruited by other club scholarships or academies? Itís just strange to not see a player coming through from one of the big local amateur clubs like Blackbrook or Thatto Heath.
    I said the same on the official Facebook page. Wigan have signed about 8 from Thatto Heath. I know a couple of years ago we signed about 13 from Rylands but I couldnít believe there was no one from Blackbrook or another St Helens based club.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Reacher; 14th September 2023 at 12:17.

  4. #4
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    8,599
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Matthew Evans looks like George Delaney and Oliver Stankevitch looks a big unit already.

  5. #5
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,067
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    I said the same on the official Facebook page. Wigan have signed about 8 from Thatto Heath. I know a couple of years ago we signed about 13 from Rylands but I couldn’t believe there was no one from Blackbrook or another St Helens based club.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Makes you wonder what's gone on at Thatto. It shows the importance of getting in quickly to each age group and establishing a relationship. It can often be a coach is a mate of someone at a certain club and that kind of thing, but not good if we were interested in those 8.

  6. #6
    Got A Season Ticket
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    410
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Meister View Post
    It was interesting to see the recent group of star graduates from Saints Scholarship being promoted into the Academy - well done lads!

    Apart from Thomas Humphrys from Newton Storm, the rest of these players came from RL Service Areas outside the St Helens borough.

    Iím not criticising our youth recruitment policies in any way - but does this mean we may be missing out on local St Helens born & bred talented youth who are being recruited by other club scholarships or academies? Itís just strange to not see a player coming through from one of the big local amateur clubs like Blackbrook or Thatto Heath.
    Wigan and Warrington signed all the best players from that age group. A lot which were from the St Helens area. We were left with the rest.

  7. #7
    Starting A Programme Collection Brian Nazareth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Posts
    956
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    Wigan and Warrington signed all the best players from that age group. A lot which were from the St Helens area. We were left with the rest.
    Was that when Warrington decided to throw money at kids? No doubt when the tactic doesn't reap instant rewards, they'll change tack onto another gimmick.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

  8. #8
    In The South Stand
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    4,067
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    Wigan and Warrington signed all the best players from that age group. A lot which were from the St Helens area. We were left with the rest.
    Why is that? Lack of effort? Or are Wigan and Warrington offering them something we're not currently? We used to do well because we trained more often than the other scholarship programs and had the Australia tour setup. I notice Warrington have copied that blueprint for this year with their academy.

  9. #9
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    509
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Our academy is top of the league with several outstanding prospects

  10. #10
    really is sorry Reacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wigan
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,891
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Saints Scholarship > Acadamy

    Quote Originally Posted by cheify View Post
    Our academy is top of the league with several outstanding prospects
    Yes this team is but this team is the scholarship team from two years ago.

    Itís looking likely that this current crop wonít be anywhere near as good as Wigan and Warrington now seem to be getting first dibs.

    Iím hoping that we havenít taken our eye off the ball in this area as it was something that we (along with Wigan) were one of the best clubs around at recruiting top talent.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Noooobie wilfio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St Helens - South Central
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I've been lucky to be involved with this group and yes Wigan have signed 8, 7 from Thatto first team and 1 from the second team. Saints have signed 4 including the whole front row and a centre/fullback with a further signing for Bradford. There are also about another 10 from both Thatto teams not signed yet playing in the 'prospects' teams at Saints, Wigan and Warrington.

    Thatto have the best coaches in the league imho and whilst other teams have been trying to be the best at 11/12/13 Thatto have played the long game and developed the players and not chased results, culminating in winning the BARLA national cup a few months ago against Shevington, the other dominant team at this age group, both face each other again in the Lancashire Cup final on the 24th at Clock Face 3PM, well worth a watch if you get chance.

    Thatto beat local rivals Blackbrook away 0-54 last night in an absolutely dominant performance, whilst Thatto second team have worked up from division 5 to division 2 probably ending up in 4th and just missing promotion which is an outstanding achievement in itself.

    Just on the scouting side and in all credit to Wigan they have scouts everywhere, even watching the lower league games, and have been watching Thatto since U11, Saints less so with Warrington not seeming to venture out of Warrington.
    Providing quality temporary and permanent recruitment to the good people of WA postcode. warrington@driverhire.co.uk

  12. #12
    Starting A Programme Collection Mr.Yat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    St.Helens - where else?
    Age
    71
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wilfio View Post
    I've been lucky to be involved with this group and yes Wigan have signed 8, 7 from Thatto first team and 1 from the second team. Saints have signed 4 including the whole front row and a centre/fullback with a further signing for Bradford. There are also about another 10 from both Thatto teams not signed yet playing in the 'prospects' teams at Saints, Wigan and Warrington.

    Thatto have the best coaches in the league imho and whilst other teams have been trying to be the best at 11/12/13 Thatto have played the long game and developed the players and not chased results, culminating in winning the BARLA national cup a few months ago against Shevington, the other dominant team at this age group, both face each other again in the Lancashire Cup final on the 24th at Clock Face 3PM, well worth a watch if you get chance.

    Thatto beat local rivals Blackbrook away 0-54 last night in an absolutely dominant performance, whilst Thatto second team have worked up from division 5 to division 2 probably ending up in 4th and just missing promotion which is an outstanding achievement in itself.

    Just on the scouting side and in all credit to Wigan they have scouts everywhere, even watching the lower league games, and have been watching Thatto since U11, Saints less so with Warrington not seeming to venture out of Warrington.
    I'm also involved at Thatto Club and I support your comments with regards the Coaches at both Swords and Shields..... very talented and experienced coaches, which is were any success starts

  13. #13
    Got A Season Ticket Voll au Vent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    369
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    On the scouting front, I know of an ex-Thatto player who was, and may still be, a Wigan scout. He was definitely scouting for Wigan in 2020.

  14. #14
    WARNING! PIE EATER!

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,774
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Voll au Vent View Post
    On the scouting front, I know of an ex-Thatto player who was, and may still be, a Wigan scout. He was definitely scouting for Wigan in 2020.
    One of Wigans scouts is Johnny Jackson whose grandson plays for Thatto, also Ste Dudley whose daughter is Jack Welsbys girlfriend.

  15. #15
    really is sorry Reacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wigan
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,891
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Saints Scholarship > Acadamy

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    One of Wigans scouts is Johnny Jackson whose grandson plays for Thatto, also Ste Dudley whose daughter is Jack Welsbys girlfriend.
    Was introduced to Ste Dudley at the Wigan v Saints U16s game at St Judes last year. I couldnít understand why a Wigan scout was talking about Welsby so much and loved him. Then I was told about his daughter


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    In The South Stand Noel Cleal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,412
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    I think you have to sign the best players available. If the next big star is further afield then you have to get them.

    I know you can't write of young talent too early but form and ability now is all the club can really go on.

    You have to say the club seem to keep on getting better and better at finding the best young players. Our academy seems to go from strength to strength.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

  17. #17
    Starting A Programme Collection
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sthelens
    Posts
    589
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Saints play Wigan academy grand final next weekend at home

  18. #18
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    8,599
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    Saints play Wigan academy grand final next weekend at home
    Tough game for us, last time out we struggled with the wigoon lads in the second half, their scrum half difference between the 2 teams.

  19. #19
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    May 2023
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Tough game for us, last time out we struggled with the wigoon lads in the second half, their scrum half difference between the 2 teams.
    We lost key players halfway through the match, some of the lads had never lost before and and weren't ready for a dog fight. I'm sure Derek Traynor will have them ready. Some outstanding potential first teamers there today.

    https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2023/09/1...y-grand-final/

  20. #20
    really is sorry Reacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wigan
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,891
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Tough game for us, last time out we struggled with the wigoon lads in the second half, their scrum half difference between the 2 teams.
    We also beat them well at Robin Park when they couldnít handle Noah Stephens.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #21
    Noooobie
    Join Date
    May 2023
    Posts
    19
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    We also beat them well at Robin Park when they couldnít handle Noah Stephens.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Both Stephens and Sinclair were dominant today, both running hard and controlling the ruck. Roberts looked assured at full back, and Dagnall looked much better on the left edge scoring one and setting up another. Vaughan had an outstanding game scoring three and setting up one (plus two more that were wrongfully disallowed). They definitely missed Will Roberts and George Whitby in the halves and that will be tough for the final against Jack Faramond. However as far as utilising players from St Helens, I'm sure both Stephens and Vaughan will both feature for the first team soon, with Dagnall and Whitby still having a year left at academy level. if I'm not mistaken all came from St Helens teams.

  22. #22
    really is sorry Reacher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Wigan
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,891
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaming View Post
    Both Stephens and Sinclair were dominant today, both running hard and controlling the ruck. Roberts looked assured at full back, and Dagnall looked much better on the left edge scoring one and setting up another. Vaughan had an outstanding game scoring three and setting up one (plus two more that were wrongfully disallowed). They definitely missed Will Roberts and George Whitby in the halves and that will be tough for the final against Jack Faramond. However as far as utilising players from St Helens, I'm sure both Stephens and Vaughan will both feature for the first team soon, with Dagnall and Whitby still having a year left at academy level. if I'm not mistaken all came from St Helens teams.
    Iíve heard some amazing reports about Vaughan, that he is going to be an exceptional player


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    The final is on Sunday at 2pm.

    Question: If your a season ticket holder do you just turn up and you scan in as normal? Or do you need a ticket?

  24. #24
    In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Kingdom of Wigoon
    Posts
    8,599
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    The final is on Sunday at 2pm.

    Question: If your a season ticket holder do you just turn up and you scan in as normal? Or do you need a ticket?
    No you don’t need to scan or get a ticket, there will be someone on the gate you just show them your season ticket.

  25. #25
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,851
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    No you don’t need to scan or get a ticket, there will be someone on the gate you just show them your season ticket.
    Thanks Stiddy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •