Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Injury Update

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Wigan’s pack are nothing to worry about. Especially if the info I’ve got about another serious hamstring injury to Havard is true.

Catalans look nailed on for top spot and a home semi final against the “worst” team left so I think they’re highly likely to be in the final. But 2nd place is very much up for grabs and I think realistically we can get that spot and fancy our chances at home against whoever is left. If we can keep the pack that I posted earlier in this thread fit and available for the crunch games then I’d still back us. But we can’t afford to lose any more now.
    Got told that Havard is out for three months, probably the same for Isa and obviously Cooper gone for the season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    If he gets the opportunity of more games it might be possible for him to go up a notch if he does that he will be very useful. At the moment he very much reminds me of how Ashurst's career panned out.

Matty Foster was a great prospect before he got all those injuries, I should imagine the club will weigh up the contracts of Foster and Royle if things are getting tight on the salary cap.
    I think that Royle has gone up a notch the past couple of games and is a useful backup on the right money. My problem with both of them, is my bias toward big athletic forwards. Both of those two are under 5’ 10. Our first choice 3 SR’ are all between 6’1 and 6’4. I haven’t seen much of Foster, but I think that you get 100% out of Royle. I think it will depend on him does he want to be low down the pecking order at a top club, or go to a lower club and be a regular starter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Got told that Havard is out for three months, probably the same for Isa and obviously Cooper gone for the season.
    When I messaged you about it the other day I knew there waiting for the outcome but feared the worst. Big blow for you that he's gone for the season.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

WARNING! PIE EATER!

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    When I messaged you about it the other day I knew there waiting for the outcome but feared the worst. Big blow for you that he's gone for the season.
    The number of hamstring injuries this season for a lot of clubs is insane, never known so many. I wonder if the 3-4G pitches they train on has any effect?

Starting A Programme Collection

The number of hamstring injuries this season for a lot of clubs is insane, never known so many. I wonder if the 3-4G pitches they train on has any effect?
    Fatigue in a the common denominator for many injuries particularly lower limb . I have absolutely no doubt that the extended season for Many players in terms of the World Cup will be taking its toll.

It would be very interesting to see some data and a break down of injuries and comparing them year on year .

From Saints perspective , I’ve
    Never known a year like it

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

We see a lot more calf/hamstring injuries when we train on 4G as opposed to grass and that's just amateur union. I certainly wouldn't want to be on it every day!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    Fatigue in a the common denominator for many injuries particularly lower limb . I have absolutely no doubt that the extended season for Many players in terms of the World Cup will be taking its toll.

Many on here have banged the drum for years about player rotation to keep the team fresh and peaking at the right time.

Plenty of opposing opinion, though.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    Many on here have banged the drum for years about player rotation to keep the team fresh and peaking at the right time.

Wigan used to rotate O"loughlin with good effect and Saints could do with the same with some of the senior players.
    But we've had injuries and suspensions from day one this season so any planned rotation would have been shot to pieces before it began

Unfortunately now every game matters and there's no easy games.

I guess we've all been assuming that the game in hand is a guaranteed 2 points but Hudds have hit a little bit of form recently.
    HKR the week after Wembley maybe a little but easier but we're playing Wakey and Cas at the worst time.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    Wigan used to rotate O"loughlin with good effect and Saints could do with the same with some of the senior players.
    But we've had injuries and suspensions from day one this season so any planned rotation would have been shot to pieces before it began

Unfortunately now every game matters and there's no easy games.
    I was going to make the point that we've been a lot hampered by injuries (often the same players) which restricts our ability to rotate and rest.

Disagree that we now have to go full available every game now, though. No point in busting a gut to get second then be running on vapours with a load of patched-up players come Grand Final.

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    I guess we've all been assuming that the game in hand is a guaranteed 2 points but Hudds have hit a little bit of form recently.
    HKR the week after Wembley maybe a little but easier but we're playing Wakey and Cas at the worst time.
    I made the same point to my dad yesterday that Hudds went through a 2/3 month patch of not being able to conjure a performance, yet our game is rearranged now when they've been playing well, getting results, and the chase for a top 6 place is back on.

Same with Wakey & Cas. Although both should be playing it smart and keeping their powder dry for games they have the best chance of winning. No point going all out with a full team against the likes of Saints or Catalans and bravely only going down by 6-8 points, if the players are busted and knackered for when they play other teams at the wrong end or off form the following week.

It's sod's law - and typical of our luck this season.

*** double post ***

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

We,ve done reasonably well over the last 4 years. Woolf had us playing in blocks of 6 games then made a couple of changes. With so many injuries and suspensions this season rotation goes out of the window. But once we get to the back end of the regular season the likes of Dodd, Lomax and Welsby will need a week off if we qualify for top 4 early and 2nd place is a bit out of reach.

Its very difficult to find one specific reason for all these hamstring injuries, some will be the artificial training pitches, some too much weight training load, some will be fatique. For me it could be the training intensity that was the legacy from Woolf, I remember Wane saying the England team training intensity went up a few gears when the Saints players joined the team and Knowles said thats how we train at the club.

Update after the open training today.

Batchelor did everything and looked fully fit so would expect him to play Sunday.

LMS was part of a group with Knowles, Roby and Lees who didn’t train properly with the group. They did some running and light work. Would be surprised if he’s back Sunday. I’d assume the others just resting a little.

Bennison was back in full training with the squad as well.

No sign of Hopoate - rumours of 6 weeks+ on him.

Sironen nowhere to be seen either but St Helens Star did say end of the month yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post

Batchelor did everything and looked fully fit so would expect him to play Sunday.

LMS was part of a group with Knowles, Roby and Lees who didn’t train properly with the group. They did some running and light work. Would be surprised if he’s back Sunday. I’d assume the others just resting a little.

Sironen nowhere to be seen either but St Helens Star did say end of the month yesterday.
    Long shot but was there any update on Wingfield?

Quote Originally Posted by saint-spoiler View Post
    Long shot but was there any update on Wingfield?
    He was working on his own with a trainer, mainly doing running and the odd bit of passing during it.

Hopefully be back this year.

He was working on his own with a trainer, mainly doing running and the odd bit of passing during it.

Hopefully be back this year.
    Thanks, fingers crossed for him

Cheers

In The West Stand

So that would be

Welsby
    Makinson Percival Davies Bennison
    Lomax Dodd
    Lees Roby Delaney
    Mata’utia Batchelor
    Knowles

Mbye Royle Norman Baxter

For Huddersfield, with LMS and Bell coming in for Royle and Baxter the following week vs HKR?

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    So that would be

Welsby
    Lomax Dodd
    Lees Roby Delaney
    Mata’utia Batchelor
    Knowles

Mbye Royle Norman Baxter

For Huddersfield, with LMS and Bell coming in for Royle and Baxter the following week vs HKR?
    That starting pack is still as good as any in the league, frightening given the players missing from it.

So that would be

Welsby
    Lomax Dodd
    Lees Roby Delaney
    Mata’utia Batchelor
    Knowles

Mbye Royle Norman Baxter

It’ll be Ritson before Bennison but aside from that I’d agree

Got A Season Ticket

I made the same point to my dad yesterday that Hudds went through a 2/3 month patch of not being able to conjure a performance, yet our game is rearranged now when they've been playing well, getting results, and the chase for a top 6 place is back on.
    On the other hand, we were quite fortunate to play them at Magic when they were at pretty much rock bottom.

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

So that would be

Welsby
    Lomax Dodd
    Lees Roby Delaney
    Mata’utia Batchelor
    Knowles

Mbye Royle Norman Baxter

Think Royle will start, he's not exactly going to come on and give impact and we will need a bit more punch from the bench given Wellens has been unwilling to use Baxter. Sione off the bench for me, maybe through the middle as he's supposedly doing next year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport...rn/?ref=twtrec

Hopate 4-6 weeks confirmed.

LMS, Batchelor and Bennison could all return Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport...rn/?ref=twtrec

Hopate 4-6 weeks confirmed.

LMS, Batchelor and Bennison could all return Sunday.
    When Wellens names players that might be ready to return for the next game (followed by ‘But we won’t take any chances’) they generally don’t play. So will be surprised to see any one of LMS, Batch or Bennison…
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    When Wellens names players that might be ready to return for the next game (followed by ‘But we won’t take any chances’) they generally don’t play. So will be surprised to see any one of LMS, Batch or Bennison…
    Sironen suffering a reoccurence will have spooked him too.

Bell was an idiot copping a ban, leaves us still really short even with Matautia returning. If the 3 don't play then that's a weaker side than against Salford. Not sure how Hudds are doing with injuries

Getting really tough this now