Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: powell

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by clintsmate View Post
    The toxic culture at Wire is such that I can't see any coach wanting to put his neck on the line there now, except someone with deep emotional ties to the club, or someone with a massive ego. Briers would be crazy to leave Brisbane, top of the NRL, at this point in time.
    To be fair, you would have said the same about Saints in 2017 - we all assumed whomever came in needed to deliver a mass clearout

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by retro74 View Post
    Incredibly harsh that, it was only March when Wire won SL and now heís got the sack?

Crazy
    Fantastic post

Got A Season Ticket

No surprise he has left after his comments about the players but I guess he must of known he was gone at the point and it indicates there is still a problem with the culture at the club. They have thrown money at it several times and no nearer being a top team. It appears the rumours about a split in the camp due to the McGuire incident are true with many Warrington players allegedly to have supported Charnley. They must have someone lined up to come in and hopefully itís not Holbrook as he would do a great job there.

Looking from the outside and what a mess that club looks to be in culturally, I say this seriously as well, the best thing for Warrington would have been for them to get relegated last season. They could have had a total club reset at that point a la Leigh and come back with a different set of players and ethos.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Laner View Post
    Looking from the outside and what a mess that club looks to be in culturally, I say this seriously as well, the best thing for Warrington would have been for them to get relegated last season. They could have had a total club reset at that point a la Leigh and come back with a different set of players and ethos.
    Survive relegation, then cut off the infected bits, big style.

Got A Season Ticket

I can't see any decent coach worth their salt applying for the job.
    The vast majority of the new signings for next season will have already been agreed.
    Existing players on decent contracts that you can't terminate without paying them off (which counts towards the cap) or trying to get another club to take them off your hands.
    So no seeming change to the culture within the club, so what could a new coach do when his squad for next season has already been decided- hopefully change the ethos of the current squad (which Powell seems to have tried - thus having a public go at the players)? Good luck with that one.

Learning All The Songs

Warrington really clicked beginning of the year. They were great to watch actually.
    I'm convinced Powell could have turned it around. Must be more to it
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

We need to do a mass nomination of Paul Cullen returning as head coach for Wire, that would mean the disciplinary will be less corrupt and we might be treated with a bit more parity.

Learning All The Songs

What exactly is his role is he the head of the disciplinary?

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    We need to do a mass nomination of Paul Cullen returning as head coach for Wire, that would mean the disciplinary will be less corrupt and we might be treated with a bit more parity.
    The disciplinary would be even busier if he coached them to play like he used to, a right dirty scumbag!
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    What exactly is his role is he the head of the disciplinary?
    He scours Saints games to check for any player in a red vee even farting at an opposition player.... then bans them
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Got A Season Ticket

Warrington really clicked beginning of the year. They were great to watch actually.
    I'm convinced Powell could have turned it around. Must be more to it
    From what I've been told, his man management isn't as good as he likes to make out and his arrogance is overwhelming. Not really a good combination.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzy rascal View Post
    From what I've been told, his man management isn't as good as he likes to make out and his arrogance is overwhelming. Not really a good combination.
    I remember hearing some of his interviews when they were on that winning opening to the season. He was saying the right things to try to sound like he had his feet on the ground and was humble, but you could see/hear his utter smugness shine through, so all you got was the impression of a self-satisfied bloke at risk of drowning in his own hubris. And lo it came to pass...

Got A Season Ticket

Those players have shit on him in a big way in my opinion. No other excuse for them losing by that score yesterday.

Never nice to see people losing their job in sports where financial security is not guaranteed even though I’m not a big Powell fan.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    I remember hearing some of his interviews when they were on that winning opening to the season. He was saying the right things to try to sound like he had his feet on the ground and was humble, but you could see/hear his utter smugness shine through, so all you got was the impression of a self-satisfied bloke at risk of drowning in his own hubris. And lo it came to pass...
    He was the same at Cas when they started doing well, difference at Wire is they have plenty of egos in the playing squad so there's been some personality classes.

Arrogance and self awareness seldom go hand in hand, so once they lost a few matches it was inevitable that the wheels would come off.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    He scours Saints games to check for any player in a red vee even farting at an opposition player.... then bans them
    Well can I be the first to say he does a marvellous job

Starting A Programme Collection

Back to Cas for Powell maybe

Learning All The Songs

I must say I dont get that impression from Powell he is overly arrogant.

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Was fairly arrogant when he was walking across the pitch during a match.

To be fair, there's not been that many times he's had the reason to be

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by paraman View Post
    No surprise he has left after his comments about the players but I guess he must of known he was gone at the point and it indicates there is still a problem with the culture at the club. They have thrown money at it several times and no nearer being a top team. It appears the rumours about a split in the camp due to the McGuire incident are true with many Warrington players allegedly to have supported Charnley. They must have someone lined up to come in and hopefully itís not Holbrook as he would do a great job there.
    I'd forgotten about those rumours. That would explain a lot of the drop of. You can't lose to Wakefield by that score with those players if everything is in normal working order. It's either that or they'd completely refused to play for Powell.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    Back to Cas for Powell maybe
    Aren't they in enough crap already?
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand

I'm not sure arrogant is the right word, but a miserable so-and-so who appears genetically incapable of accepting responsiblity for the performance and attitude of his team is probably close.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post

I was just going to post something along the same lines before I read yours.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Was fairly arrogant when he was walking across the pitch during a match.
    Something that should have been referred to the RFL.