Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Wigan

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Nickles Forearm View Post
    Knowles too much quality and will be back in the side irrespective of the armchair folk of Twitter begging PW to drop him as further punishment… give me strength..
    Believe Bell has a knock from last week and will likely drop out. If he would have been fit Knowles to the bench to play rotation of prop and LF with the same team as magic (with Knowles obviously replacing wingfield on the bench)
    Good problems to have to PW. COYS
    If Bell is injured I agree that Knowles should play loose forward and let's see if he can mange not to be sin binned for anything! He is a good player but needs to rethink his game. He is bound to be a marked man by the officials. It is the best squad we've had all season and I hope we play well and blow Wigan off the field. I hope Lussick starts and Roby comes off the bench when the Wigan pack is getting tired. It would be great if Dodd continues his current improvement in form and kicks on a bit again. It could be great, or not....

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Knowles too much quality and will be back in the side irrespective of the armchair folk of Twitter begging PW to drop him as further punishment… give me strength..
    Believe Bell has a knock from last week and will likely drop out. If he would have been fit Knowles to the bench to play rotation of prop and LF with the same team as magic (with Knowles obviously replacing wingfield on the bench)
    I agree Knowles has too much quality.

However, the difficult thing is that Wingfield didn’t play at magic so he isn’t the one to be replaced, an in form player will need to come out. The contenders to be dropped are LMS who’s playing well, Matautia who has too much quality and then Lussick who is stringing some good performances together and for me is needed as Roby isn’t the player he was.

If Bell is injured the decision is easy as it’s a straight swap with Knowles, if Bell is fit it’s a tough one.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post

However, the difficult thing is that Wingfield didn’t play at magic so he isn’t the one to be replaced, an in form player will need to come out. The contenders to be dropped are LMS who’s playing well, Matautia who has too much quality and then Lussick who is stringing some good performances together and for me is needed as Roby isn’t the player he was.

If Bell is injured the decision is easy as it’s a straight swap with Knowles, if Bell is fit it’s a tough one.
    I hope that if Bell is fit he plays in which case Knowles misses out or takes LMS's place as a bench prop, which is very hard on LMS. Knowles' quality isn't much use if he is sin binned, sent off or banned and in my opinion he needs to work on his tackle technique and develop a greater sense of calm game management. He is good and I think he will do that.

Learning All The Songs theres only one stan wall's Avatar

Wingfield likely needs a shoulder op & out 8-10 weeks.

10/12/1989 12-12 v Dewsbury (H) Regal Trophy.
    Att:5,847 (Loyal supporter ever since).

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Weetabix View Post
    That means Knowles will play, clean somebody out, get banned. Let's hope it's Smithies

In jest but may also be true so let's also hope Bell is only out a week.
    You can bet your life that Smithies will be under instructions to wind up Knowles to get him to react for another card, yellow or red.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Expect a fair bit of tolerance with the Goons tackling high and laying on, Kendall is referee and he won’t be too happy at the moment with Saints thrashing his team last Sunday.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by theres only one stan wall View Post
    Wingfield likely needs a shoulder op & out 8-10 weeks.
    was it a training injury?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Les View Post
    You can bet your life that Smithies will be under instructions to wind up Knowles to get him to react for another card, yellow or red.
    You can imagine most clubs will do that kind of thing. Rattling players like Smithies, Knowles, Danny Brough etc to get them off their game isn’t an isolated Wigan thing and I think you’d be daft not to try and wind up people with short fuses.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    You can imagine most clubs will do that kind of thing. Rattling players like Smithies, Knowles, Danny Brough etc to get them off their game isn’t an isolated Wigan thing and I think you’d be daft not to try and wind up people with short fuses.
    Which is why we need LMS on the pitch. Full time WUM to get under the goons skin.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Expect a fair bit of tolerance with the Goons tackling high and laying on, Kendall is referee and he won’t be too happy at the moment with Saints thrashing his team last Sunday.
    Kendall, that'll be a couple of yellow cards for Saints players and endless six agains and penalties for the Pies. Who appoints these buffoons? Did they not see his appalling anti Saints bias in the Leeds fixture? If not, what were they watching? Personally can never forget the final two minute penalty award in the "Covid" GF which should've sealed it for the Pies, unfortunately for Mr Kendall, it didn't quite work out like that, did it?

Learning All The Songs bewareshadows's Avatar

For me it's the same team again. Sends the right messages that performance earns your place.

I'm not sure why anyone would pick Knowles over LMS. Knowles is not a prop. You don't drop a front row for a loose forward.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by bewareshadows View Post
    For me it's the same team again. Sends the right messages that performance earns your place.

I'm not sure why anyone would pick Knowles over LMS. Knowles is not a prop. You don't drop a front row for a loose forward.
    Agreed, same team unless we have an injury to last week's 17.

Learning All The Songs St Willy's Avatar

If Bell is fit, maybe Lussick to drop out with Knowles spelling Roby and Bell.

I'd certainly go with the same team as magic. For me, Knowles has to earn the shirt back.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor
    RFL Championship / Super League (17) - 1931–32, 1952–53, 1958–59, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1974–75, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2006, 2014, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022

Challenge Cup (13) - 1955–56, 1960–61, 1965–66, 1971–72, 1975–76, 1996, 1997, 2001, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2021

World Club Challenge (3) - 2001, 2007, 2023

League Leader's Shield (9) - 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2022

Learning All The Songs

Irrespective of league position or current form this is a derby match and they're nearly always tough, niggly affairs with the result being decided by which pack gets on top for the majority of the game.
    For this reason Knowles has to get a place in the 17 just for his physical presence and the ability to dish it out when the pies start with their 'bully boy' tactics.
    Knowles, Lees, Mata'utia, Sironen & Bell are all the kind of players who thrive in the really physical games and have the ability to put in some big shots to unsettle the opposition.

For me Lussick should be the one to drop out with Knowles starting on the bench. Bell to then spell Roby at 9 with Knowles going to 13.

I just hope Wellens doesn't do anything really stupid like drop one of the 3/4's to bring Hopoate back in !!

Welsby
    Makinson
    Hurell
    Percival
    Ritson
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Lees
    Sironen
    Batchelor
    Bell

Knowles
    Paasi
    LMS
    Mata'utia

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Irrespective of league position or current form this is a derby match and they're nearly always tough, niggly affairs with the result being decided by which pack gets on top for the majority of the game.
    For this reason Knowles has to get a place in the 17 just for his physical presence and the ability to dish it out when the pies start with their 'bully boy' tactics.
    Knowles, Lees, Mata'utia, Sironen & Bell are all the kind of players who thrive in the really physical games and have the ability to put in some big shots to unsettle the opposition.

For me Lussick should be the one to drop out with Knowles starting on the bench. Bell to then spell Roby at 9 with Knowles going to 13.

I just hope Wellens doesn't do anything really stupid like drop one of the 3/4's to bring Hopoate back in !!

Welsby
    Makinson
    Hurell
    Percival
    Ritson
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Lees
    Sironen
    Batchelor
    Bell

Knowles
    Paasi
    LMS
    Mata'utia
    There is a possibility that Knowles would get a card of some colour and Wigan are so fast outside that would give us a big problem. In this match with this ref it’s a bit of a risk.

I think we need Lussick on the bench or he should even start. Their game plan is going to be to get Roby to do a lot of defensive work so to leave Lussick out completely is a huge risk. However, I am not sure who you then leave out. I think it would need to be either LMS or Mata'utia to drop out, but both have been playing well.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Really hope Wello doesn't have a relapse and include Hopoate......
    I think Knowles will be back in, quality player - and let's be honest, the tackle he was given 5 matches for was a typical MRP fiasco.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

Kendall doesn't need any excuses.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Starting A Programme Collection

Last time we had Kendall he should've at least given Lees 10 off if not a red given he got a 2 game ban so I don't think he's "against" us as some think...

We'd have probably lost that game if he does either as think it was 12-0 at the time.

Like every ref he'll give decisions for us sometimes and against us others.

Learning All The Songs

Surely someone will have some kind of niggle which will make it an easy choice

Otherwise that Is a tough call. You would have to put Knowles ahead of LMS.. but it would be harsh
    Last edited by CGSaint; 9th June 2023 at 09:45.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post

If Bell is fit, then he should play.

Knowles is tough as teak, but he's very non-descript on attack, and I think Bell just offers a little bit more with the ball. Whilst Knowles will contribute more to our defence, Bell will will still tackle all day long. He's earned his spot.

For me, assuming everyone is fully fit, I don't really see how we can justify dropping a man who is playing well for somebody who's played one game against a Tier Two team in the last two months, who was bang out of form, and has had a lot of disciplinary issues. He will be a marked man in the thinking of the opposition and the officials, and he himself will subconsciously probably play a little bit within himself for fear of knowing that one slightly mistimed tackle will end up magnified. Add to that, surely match fitness is key in a game like this.

If Knowles is picked, but Bell is fully fit, my hunch is that Sione will drop out of the seventeen. Discipline is key in a match like this and three penalty machines in our seventeen is too much.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD View Post
    If Bell is fit, then he should play.

Knowles is tough as teak, but he's very non-descript on attack, and I think Bell just offers a little bit more with the ball. Whilst Knowles will contribute more to our defence, Bell will will still tackle all day long. He's earned his spot.

For me, assuming everyone is fully fit, I don't really see how we can justify dropping a man who is playing well for somebody who's played one game against a Tier Two team in the last two months, who was bang out of form, and has had a lot of disciplinary issues. He will be a marked man in the thinking of the opposition and the officials, and he himself will subconsciously probably play a little bit within himself for fear of knowing that one slightly mistimed tackle will end up magnified. Add to that, surely match fitness is key in a game like this.

If Knowles is picked, but Bell is fully fit, my hunch is that Sione will drop out of the seventeen. Discipline is key in a match like this and three penalty machines in our seventeen is too much.
    Let's be honest, compared to not too many weeks ago these are nice headaches

Have read today that both Bell and Welsby are struggling with knee injuries but both believe they can be managed through the next few games

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Let's be honest, compared to not too many weeks ago these are nice headaches

Have read today that both Bell and Welsby are struggling with knee injuries but both believe they can be managed through the next few games
    And I thought it was all starting to come together.

I think we need to get Knowles back into the team even if it is on the bench. I know sticking with a winning term is how modern coaches work but Knowles is too good to not be involved.

LMS is the obvious player to drop out. He is 37 so expecting him to play every week is unreasonable. The other is Lussick but given Joey is playing reasonable minutes that is feeling increasingly unlikely.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Season Ticket

Just a very quick OT (apologies) but what's the situation with parking on Tesco these days? I know it was stopped but has that restriction been lifted or can you pay to park there on the day?

Again, apologies for the OT question but am taking someone who's not too mobile tomorrow and looking for the best place to park. Thanks.