Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: State of Origin 2023- All Chat here

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default State of Origin 2023- All Chat here

All chat in here for those wanting to avoid spoilers. Both squads named, Queensland have named their line up.

Queensland
    1. Reece Walsh
    2. Selwyn Cobbo
    3. Valentine Holmes
    4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
    5. Murray Taulagi
    6. Cameron Munster
    7. Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
    8. Thomas Flegler
    9. Ben Hunt
    10. Lindsay Collins
    11. Tom Gilbert
    12. David Fifita
    13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Harry Grant
    15. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
    16. Reuben Cotter
    17. Jai Arrow

18. Tom Dearden
    19. Christian Welch

New South Wales (line up seen suggested)
    1. James Tedesco (c)
    2. Josh Addo-Carr
    3. Tom Trbojevic
    4. Latrell Mitchell
    5. Brian To’o
    6. Jarome Luai
    7. Nathan Cleary
    8. Junior Paulo
    9. Apisai Koroisau
    10. Payne Haas
    11. Tyson Frizell
    12. Cameron Murray
    13. Isaah Yeo

14. Nicho Hynes
    15. Liam Martin
    16. Tevita Pangai Junior
    17. Hudson Young

18th man named - Campbell Graham

A few NSW fans complaining about no Edwards, Cook or De Belin. Queensland fans complaining about no Gagai or Ponga. A fair few eyebrows raised on both sides but that Blues backline looks absolutely fire! Last time Tedesco, Trbojevic and Mitchell lined up together they were unplayable, looking forward to see if they can do it again.
    Last edited by Div; 6th June 2023 at 13:52.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    All chat in here for those wanting to avoid spoilers. Both squads named, Queensland have named their line up.

Queensland
    1. Reece Walsh
    2. Selwyn Cobbo
    3. Valentine Holmes
    4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow
    5. Murray Taulagi
    6. Cameron Munster
    7. Daly Cherry-Evans (c)
    8. Thomas Flegler
    9. Ben Hunt
    10. Lindsay Collins
    11. Tom Gilbert
    12. David Fifita
    13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Harry Grant
    15. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui
    16. Reuben Cotter
    17. Jai Arrow

18. Tom Dearden
    19. Christian Welch

New South Wales (line up seen suggested)
    1. James Tedesco (c)
    2. Josh Addo-Carr
    3. Tom Trbojevic
    4. Latrell Mitchell
    5. Brian To’o
    6. Jarome Luai
    7. Nathan Cleary
    8. Junior Paulo
    9. Apisai Koroisau
    10. Payne Haas
    11. Tyson Frizell
    12. Cameron Murray
    13. Isaah Yeo

14. Nicho Hynes
    15. Liam Martin
    16. Tevita Pangai Junior
    17. Hudson Young

18th man named - Campbell Graham

A few NSW fans complaining about no Edwards, Cook or De Belin. Queensland fans complaining about no Gagai or Ponga. A fair few eyebrows raised on both sides but that Blues backline looks absolutely fire! Last time Tedesco, Trbojevic and Mitchell lined up together they were unplayable, looking forward to see if they can do it again.
    Trbojevic doesn't deserve a place in the team this year, picked on past performances only. He's barely kept himself fit enough to last a game over the last year or so and seems to limp through most Manly games this year. Picking him ahead of Graham in the center's is a big mistake if this is the actual team that starts.
    I get why he may go with Luai at 6 because of his club partnership with Cleary, but his form has been up & down this year. Hynes has been an absolute revelation since joining the Sharks and moving into the halves, plus he has a far better kicking game than Luai which would take the pressure off Cleary.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Been away and offline for past week or so, and catching up...

Big surprises in both line ups...

@SaintToppy, I think you're spot on about Hynes. Think he's a better player than Luai. It's probably because he can play at 1 and 9 as well, that's probably why he's down for the interchange. Like he did at Storm.

Turbo got a hat trick yesterday, so may have played himself back in to form at right time.

Not sure why TPJ has been picked, think that's a big gamble. Where is Olakau'atu? I think he's been one of the best second row forwards in the NRL for the past year or so. Frizell has done well to get a recall.

@WeeWaa, I actually think that QLD backline is pretty fearsome too- there's so much speed in there. Maybe why Fitler has brought back JAC despite him only returning from the ankle injury yesterday. This said, and as much as I like the Hammer and think he's been really good at full back for Dolphins, playing in the centres and defending against Latrell is a big ask!

Really looking forward to the series getting under way. I think it's too close to call!
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Trbojevic doesn't deserve a place in the team this year, picked on past performances only. He's barely kept himself fit enough to last a game over the last year or so and seems to limp through most Manly games this year. Picking him ahead of Graham in the center's is a big mistake if this is the actual team that starts.
    I get why he may go with Luai at 6 because of his club partnership with Cleary, but his form has been up & down this year. Hynes has been an absolute revelation since joining the Sharks and moving into the halves, plus he has a far better kicking game than Luai which would take the pressure off Cleary.
    Does seem like NSW have picked more on reputations and partnerships rather than form. That obviously has a big potential upside but also gives critics a massive stick to beat the coach with if it backfires. I think everyone knows what Trbo is capable of and they’ve gone back to the backline that tore Queensland apart in 2021. They effectively let Trbo and Mitchell play as 2nd and 3rd fullbacks in attack, popping up all over the place and causing chaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Been away and offline for past week or so, and catching up...

Big surprises in both line ups...

@SaintToppy, I think you're spot on about Hynes. Think he's a better player than Luai. It's probably because he can play at 1 and 9 as well, that's probably why he's down for the interchange. Like he did at Storm.

Turbo got a hat trick yesterday, so may have played himself back in to form at right time.

Not sure why TPJ has been picked, think that's a big gamble. Where is Olakau'atu? I think he's been one of the best second row forwards in the NRL for the past year or so. Frizell has done well to get a recall.

@WeeWaa, I actually think that QLD backline is pretty fearsome too- there's so much speed in there. Maybe why Fitler has brought back JAC despite him only returning from the ankle injury yesterday. This said, and as much as I like the Hammer and think he's been really good at full back for Dolphins, playing in the centres and defending against Latrell is a big ask!

Really looking forward to the series getting under way. I think it's too close to call!
    I think there’s big risks in both selections. As much as the back lines are both exciting it’s usually in the forwards where we see a lot of the brutality and intensity set. Should be a great series.

Latrell Mitchell ruled out through injury. Be interesting to see whether they call up a proper centre or use this to shoehorn in Nicho Hynes or Dylan Edwards.

Got A Season Ticket

Latrell Mitchell ruled out through injury. Be interesting to see whether they call up a proper centre or use this to shoehorn in Nicho Hynes or Dylan Edwards.
    Typical this gets announced just after I had to put my work tipping comp tip in! Stephen Cricton will do a job - but at SOO it's so often down to something extra and thats what Latrell offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny NZ View Post
    Typical this gets announced just after I had to put my work tipping comp tip in! Stephen Cricton will do a job - but at SOO it's so often down to something extra and thats what Latrell offered.
    Agreed Vinny. Crichton is a good option to bring in but he's not got the X-factor that Latrell brings. Big loss for NSW

Also being reported that Cleary is having a dental issue which is causing him some discomfort.

Been a great opening 10 mins!

Nice to see the refs wave away the coming together and just getting on with it.

NSW killing themselves with stupid penalties and QLD very clinical. Blues last tackle options seem to be just to kick it high towards Trbojevic and hope for the best.

NSW killing themselves with stupid penalties and QLD very clinical. Blues last tackle options seem to be just to kick it high towards Trbojevic and hope for the best.
    I think its more of a case of trying to stand up Walsh. They have not had the field position to do anything else.

First time I have ever seen a penalty against a team for having 14 players on the field at the same time.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Ball should have gone out to the fox.

Taulagi having a blinder defensively!

In The South Stand

The play the ball is so clean, almost surgical. Quick play the balls, no hands in, no pushing, no moving forward, no obsession with cheating. It's like watching a different sport entirely.

If NSW can harness the field position their pack are giving them they could win this comfortably. QLD backs currently outplaying their counterparts but there’s only so much they can do if they don’t get the field position.

Got A Season Ticket

It's going like so many SOOs of recent years. Can NSW show composure and control or will Qld hang in and suckered punch toward the end. Great to watch though and thanks to a teacher's strike here in NZ my daughter is sat up watching another great sporting occasion with me!

Queensland’s key players have come up with big plays when it matters. NSW’s pivots have been anonymous and Tedesco looks a shadow of the player he used to be.

Queensland’s key players have come up with big plays when it matters. NSW’s pivots have been anonymous and Tedesco looks a shadow of the player he used to be.
    Tedesco does deserve to cop some flak over that performance... bombed a try in first half and some poor defensive efforts for 3 of QLD's tries. Including being out jumped by a prop!

Thought Hudson Young struggled and don't think he came back on after starting. Been very good for Canberra, but big step up. Gave away needless penalty and the knock on. Liam Martin made a difference when he came on.

TPJ whilst was okay overall, that offload inside own 20m was costly in the build up to the Cobbo try. I'm all for chancing your arm if it's on but can't lose the ball there.

All credit to QLD to come back from behind as they did and with a man less! The Hammer showing why he was picked.

NSW up against it now. Game 2 in Brisbane.

I thought it was a good game and NSW got themselves back into it well. However, for QLD to go down a man in the sin bin, lose some players to head knocks and go on to win it was special. They ended up with Fifita at left centre and Ben Hunt at right centre. QLD forwards were really good and they managed to keep NSW forwards at arms length.

On Tadesco he was off the pace defensively, which is very unlike him. The try in the first half with the kick from Munster, he was caught up behind the play the ball and was so far out of position, he got out jumped for the bomb which Collins caught and he slipped (not his fault) so couldn't make a cover tackle on Tabuai-Fidow. With the ball he was involved and busy but could not catch a break like he usually does.

All set up for game 2

Tedesco does deserve to cop some flak over that performance... bombed a try in first half and some poor defensive efforts for 3 of QLD's tries. Including being out jumped by a prop!

Thought Hudson Young struggled and don't think he came back on after starting. Been very good for Canberra, but big step up. Gave away needless penalty and the knock on. Liam Martin made a difference when he came on.

TPJ whilst was okay overall, that offload inside own 20m was costly in the build up to the Cobbo try. I'm all for chancing your arm if it's on but can't lose the ball there.

All credit to QLD to come back from behind as they did and with a man less! The Hammer showing why he was picked.

NSW up against it now. Game 2 in Brisbane.
    Is it time to move away from the Penrith duo at half back? I can’t see them dropping both but maybe bringing Hynes in for Luai would add a bit of spark into the spine, I’m assuming they won’t drop Tedesco.

It’s got to be frustrating for Blues fans who had more than enough territory and chances to win the game. What they couldn’t seem to match is Queenslands heart and desire though, origin is supposedly the pinnacle of rugby league and NSW just didn’t seem to want it as much as their opposition, not for the first time either. QLD seem to consistently be able to get more than the sum of its parts from whichever 17 take the field.

Got A Season Ticket

Is it time to move away from the Penrith duo at half back? I can’t see them dropping both but maybe bringing Hynes in for Luai would add a bit of spark into the spine, I’m assuming they won’t drop Tedesco.

It’s got to be frustrating for Blues fans who had more than enough territory and chances to win the game. What they couldn’t seem to match is Queenslands heart and desire though, origin is supposedly the pinnacle of rugby league and NSW just didn’t seem to want it as much as their opposition, not for the first time either. QLD seem to consistently be able to get more than the sum of its parts from whichever 17 take the field.
    Luai and also Crichton are the biggest "system" players I have ever seen. Trying to make them play outside of the system they are used to and they are headless chickens.

The biggest difference between NSW and Queensland is the coaching set up. If Slater was NSW coach there is no way he would have played Tedesco given his form this season, he would have played Edwards and if Edwards plays, NSW win that game

Cleary is out of origin 2 and 3 with a hamstring tear so going to have to be some sort of shake up for the Blues. Question would be that if Cleary is out, should Luai be out too? Hynes is first cab off the rank in the halves but would someone like Mitchell Moses or Cody Walker be a more effective partner than Luai without his club partner.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Cleary is out of origin 2 and 3 with a hamstring tear so going to have to be some sort of shake up for the Blues. Question would be that if Cleary is out, should Luai be out too? Hynes is first cab off the rank in the halves but would someone like Mitchell Moses or Cody Walker be a more effective partner than Luai without his club partner.
    Luai is seriously overrated.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    Luai is seriously overrated.
    As Euroboy pointed out previously, Luai is a great ‘system player’. For NSW and Samoa when he’s been surrounded by Penrith players he’s looked good. Not a halfback who is going to take control though, more of a running half. I hope he’s dropped.

Adam Reynolds could come into the equation as well... game 2 is at Suncorp. Reynolds knows that ground well of course, now being at Broncos. That could mean bringing in Walker to partner him in the halves. Rekindle the old Souths partnership.

For me though, Hynes deserves the 7.

If Latrell is fit, he comes straight back in to the centres.

The question is then what to do with the 14 shirt? Would Wighton come out of his retirement? Covers a lot of positions and is a quality player in any position he's picked.

Learning All The Songs

Adam Reynolds could come into the equation as well... game 2 is at Suncorp. Reynolds knows that ground well of course, now being at Broncos. That could mean bringing in Walker to partner him in the halves. Rekindle the old Souths partnership.

For me though, Hynes deserves the 7.

If Latrell is fit, he comes straight back in to the centres.

The question is then what to do with the 14 shirt? Would Wighton come out of his retirement? Covers a lot of positions and is a quality player in any position he's picked.
    I'd imagine Burton would play 14 before Wighton comes out of retirement. There's also the option for them to play an out and out 9 like Cook off the bench.

I do think Reynolds is a good shout for 7 and I'd definitely look at that personally, NSW have plenty of edge strike and a good pack so Reynolds is a very good 7 to play behind them. I'd probably pair him with Hynes and give him a bit of freedom to take the line on.

Tedesco
    To'o
    Trbojevic
    Mitchell
    Addo-Carr
    Hynes
    Reynolds

With the back 5 they have all the halves need to do is create some space. I've said for some time Luai is heavily overhyped, good at his role for Penrith but Burton is a far better player. I think in the above set up Burton would play 14 incase Reynolds & Hynes doesn't work. There's also a fair argument to play Hynes and Burton together.