Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Throw ball forward to yourself

Learning All The Songs

Default Throw ball forward to yourself

Sounds like a bizarre question

But

In theory could you throw the ball forward, for instance over the defence.. run and catch it ??
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Yes

Learning All The Songs

I just looked it up
    Apparently you can't you can regather before a knock on but if it is adjudged to be thrown on purpose it's a forward pass..
    I assume its a union rule I found becasue it just said rugby but surely the same rule??

Learning All The Songs

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

I think it was Mark Elia (a long time ago) who as a pass came to him, he tipped the ball over a defenders head and regathered to score.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Interesting

Seems like something that could work if its allowed surprised Leeds havnt done it yet

In The South Stand

I've always thought it was classed as a knock on if you did that. Deliberately knocking it forward past an opposition player is classed as a knock on. I could be wrong though, but I think the fact I've never seen it happen in 40 years of watching the game might suggest it is a knock on. Otherwise throwing it over the fullback and catching it would surely have been tried as it's much easier, as they wouldn't be able to tackle you.

Learning All The Songs

Rangi Chase used to pass it to himself, dunno if it was in a forward direction, but he used it a few times and was deemed a magician by the pundits as they scored from it.

Learning All The Songs

If the ball crosses over the a defender (or a defensive line of defenders) the it is technically a forward pass to yourself. If you are juggling the ball but not in complete control a defender can tackle you technically without the ball.

So juggling to catch the ball in open play is OK, once you have touched the ball and are juggling it forward, you are deemed to be in possession until it hits the floor so a tackle can be effected.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    Yes
    NO
    Its classed as a deliberate forward pass and technically the ref can penalise you in place of a scrum.

The only instances you can propel the ball forward with your hand is if its a kick charge down or if your attempting something like an intercept pass and you don't regather it first time around, your permitted to tap it up and then regather because this isn't classed as deliberate.
    Any other attempt to deliberately propel the ball forward is not permitted.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I think it was Mark Elia (a long time ago) who as a pass came to him, he tipped the ball over a defenders head and regathered to score.

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
    I remember that,but it was more of a juggling the pass and then regaining it than a deliberate flip it over the defender.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    If the ball crosses over the a defender (or a defensive line of defenders) the it is technically a forward pass to yourself. If you are juggling the ball but not in complete control a defender can tackle you technically without the ball.

So juggling to catch the ball in open play is OK, once you have touched the ball and are juggling it forward, you are deemed to be in possession until it hits the floor so a tackle can be effected.
    I think i,ve seen Makinson compete for a high ball and touched it forward and then regathered on the way down to score, we also see a couple of interceptions were they juggle the ball forward before it touches the ground. I just hope the RFL don't start looking at these scenarios and santitise our game further.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

I used to think it was legal, but the defender could still tackle you as if you still had possession.

Then again, these days, depending on the team in question (ahem, Warrington attacking) the defender in that scenario would be sin-binned, banned for a couple of games, and have a penalty try awarded against them
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    I just looked it up
    Apparently you can't you can regather before a knock on but if it is adjudged to be thrown on purpose it's a forward pass..
    I assume its a union rule I found becasue it just said rugby but surely the same rule??
    Yes there have been instances when a player has tipped on a loose ball to themselves and it has been called as a knock on.

Obviously technically if the ball is loose a defender can be penalised for taking a player out off the ball. So it is gaining an unfair advantage. That being said typically the tipping player would have been guilty of a knock on first if taken out later. If that makes sense.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Learning All The Songs

That's exactly what I thought. You could possibly do it but would be fair game for a defender.. although these days I would expect the rule has changed to if the player gets touched and fakes an injury you see banned for 10 games

Learning All The Songs

This thread reminds me of the John Harrison / George Mann header try. Thrown backwards but headed forward - banned shortly afterwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1cgQPwf1ng

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post
    This thread reminds me of the John Harrison / George Mann header try. Thrown backwards but headed forward - banned shortly afterwards

Ah, the late, great Mike McClennan and his wonderfully wacky ideas
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Got A Season Ticket grungellamas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by headtackle View Post

That is awesome. Never seen or heard of that one. Thanks for sharing.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

I remember it well!
    Looking at it again after all these years, do you think George Mann was offside?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk