Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Halifax

Posted this on the CC thread. I thought it was worth posting here too...

The Quarter Final Draw is on after the TV game on Sunday on BBC 2. The numbers are as follows...

1 – St Helens

2 – Leigh Leopards

3 – Hull KR

4 – Leeds Rhinos or Wigan Warriors

5 – Catalans Dragons or Warrington Wolves

6 – Salford Red Devils or Huddersfield Giants

7 – Castleford Tigers or Hull FC

8 – York Knights or London Broncos
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    Was poor that tonight. 10 points in the last 50 mins, 2 tries to 1 second half against a part time outfit.

Ben Davies stood up by their half on the try, couldn’t resist biting in.

It’s hard for the players in game like this so I suppose it is what it is but we need to be 10x better next week.
    In Davies defence, he and Ritson were covering a good 40m on their own. We got our numbers so ridiculously wrong which started when Welsby flew out the line and hurt himself and we never recovered any sort of defensive structure from there

Got A Season Ticket

Utterly embarassing. All the hard work that Holbrook and woolf have done is being undone by a coaching team that don’t have a clue. Every single team in super league have a better attacking structure than we do. Unless you think a drop off to a second rower into a set defensive line or put it through hands with no dummy runners are both good attacking structures.

Learning All The Songs

The guy ducked into it.. we have some brilliantly tough players like Sironen and Knowles.. They need to smarten up and stay switched on when players can make that sudden movement..
    I feel for him on that one

Love that Wello played him as a prop how did he look at prop???
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    In Davies defence, he and Ritson were covering a good 40m on their own. We got our numbers so ridiculously wrong which started when Welsby flew out the line and hurt himself and we never recovered any sort of defensive structure from there
    But what you’ve said there shows why you would never bite in that position. You push them wide and hope cover defence comes back. To jump in when you’re seriously low on numbers but have 30 metres to play with just makes it even worse. On your line etc fair enough you’ve no time to rectify.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    Utterly embarassing. All the hard work that Holbrook and woolf have done is being undone by a coaching team that don’t have a clue. Every single team in super league have a better attacking structure than we do. Unless you think a drop off to a second rower into a set defensive line or put it through hands with no dummy runners are both good attacking structures.
    I don’t want to be too critical tonight but they’re literally part timers and we won the second half, when they should tire, 12-6.

I think if we’d been good in the league you can let that slide but on a night we wanted to build on Salford it’s disappointing. KR putting 50 on Batley is what we should be doing at 16-0 on 26.

I have moaned at Davies for their try but felt sorry for him and Ritson tongiht. Never saw a sniff of any good ball. Lussick looked like he couldn’t go left ambut even Hopoate saw nothing either.

Makinson got a good pass for his try and finished well but we’re playing Halifax away and our backline can’t get a sniff. Just a very subdued display.

We win next week how we played tonight means nothing, though.

Billinge, on the front line with the enemy.

Anyone defending Knowles needs their bumps felt IMO. Rightly or wrongly it's his first game back from a big ban, he needed to be squeaky clean. There are 20 seconds left in a game long since won.
    There is no benefit whatsoever in smashing the player even if he gets its right, there is no need to chase him across the pitch and belt him. I appreciate he is aggressive in defence and you want the team to give everything for the full 80, but that was idiotic.
    Knowles is a senior international player, he was captains armband material for me a few years ago but the last 2 years he has regressed performance wise and is now a liability with his discipline, he just doesn't learn.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Posted this on the CC thread. I thought it was worth posting here too...

The Quarter Final Draw is on after the TV game on Sunday on BBC 2. The numbers are as follows...

1 – St Helens

2 – Leigh Leopards

3 – Hull KR

4 – Leeds Rhinos or Wigan Warriors

5 – Catalans Dragons or Warrington Wolves

6 – Salford Red Devils or Huddersfield Giants

7 – Castleford Tigers or Hull FC

8 – York Knights or London Broncos
    The RFL make it up as they go along, they really do. Absolute idiots.

Got A Season Ticket

Hopefully

Leigh vs Hull KR

Leeds vs Catalans

Salford vs Castleford

Saints vs York

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default 21 man squad v Halifax

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    Bore off with your ‘ as long as we win by a point ‘ shite. We’ve been awful. Some don’t like to accept world champs can be awful. It feels ungrateful?
    You said if we won the Warrington game to delete your account, shame none of the mods took you seriously. You complain when we win complain when we lose. When was the last time you posted something positive about our team? Have you ever thought about not just sitting behind a keyboard and whinging?
    Last edited by The Wee Waa Womble; 20th May 2023 at 02:31.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Knowles will know now he'a a liability and at the same time he's way down the pecking order Sironen. Matautia, Bachelor, Bell and Wingfield are better options as backrowers. Sironen back next week and Bell is much better at 13.
    Sending off was fair enough I think. Given his record he get a two game ban but it could be three. He’s heading for the possibility of missing half a season. He needs a major rethink about how he plays the game. Unless he can do that he could find himself transferred out. As you say, Bell is better and so is Wingfield.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    Just to point out that the Holbrook team beat Halifax in 2019 by 26-2. So if you were expecting a large score take that into account.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    But what you’ve said there shows why you would never bite in that position. You push them wide and hope cover defence comes back. To jump in when you’re seriously low on numbers but have 30 metres to play with just makes it even worse. On your line etc fair enough you’ve no time to rectify.
    Tough positon to defend second man in and you can easily get exposed but not sure it was all down to him.

Good play from Halifax noticing how narrow we were. No pressure from inside meaning that their half could bite into the line and once the pass comes out the back Davies has 4 Fax players outside him. He panics and protects his inside shoulder which you should do but gets himself in the wrong positon so he cannot make the tackle.

I think it was a breakdown in system and good read from Fax rather than anything Davies did but he didn’t help the situation.

Got A Season Ticket

How did Lomax get on with his HIA?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

I’m sorry but it was very very stupid from Knowles and I’d have no complaints or sympathy with a 3-4 game ban.

He’s slowly turning his reputation from being comfortably the best 13 in Super League 18 months ago to a good player but an expensive liability at the moment.

He needs a long hard look at himself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I’m sorry but it was very very stupid from Knowles and I’d have no complaints or sympathy with a 3-4 game ban.

He’s slowly turning his reputation from being comfortably the best 13 in Super League 18 months ago to a good player but an expensive liability at the moment.

Agree 100%.. Knowles has been my fav player so I say this with no joy. If he played for one of our rivals we would label him a grub because that is what he is now. I would also say I don’t think he’s actually been that good or as effective as he used to be for some time. I wonder if that is part of the issue. He can’t continue in this vain. Wello needs to give him an ultimatum. Although losing a player isn’t great I’m pretty chilled about him not playing as I don’t think we miss him that much (unless we have a stack of players out).

Regarding the game I thought it was another laboured performance. I’m sticking with my thoughts re Wello. He isn’t good enough. Yes players have to step up, but it’s his responsibility. Last night was glaringly obvious Dodd (again) needs resting (although I don’t hold him solely responsible for out poor performances). Though I did notice Wello in post match say he intended to bring Bennison on as FB and put Welsby in halves but not replacing Lomax, but had to due to HIA. So maybe he’s going to change it.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

Have to say, I agree with this. The Halifax half was looking to pass, granted he didn’t, but had he done, it would have been another late hit (standard card and ban) for one of our back rowers anyway under current rules. Knowles will be disappointed with that, but I hate to say it, I just don’t see it the same as others, who claim he’s one of the best 13’s in the world. Considering his likely salary, he does all the “effort areas” well granted, but let’s be honest he’s no Paul Sculthorpe or Andy Farrell. His defence has been naive all season and for a 13 as young and fit as him to only do limited minutes every week, being rotated like a prop, leaves me wondering why. Jammer used to play 80mins in a similar role, take the ball to the line and play out of the back. He hasn’t really kicked on in recent years and for me, like has been said already, can’t really be trusted now not to have a brain explosion. Refs are aware and disciplinary certainly is. The tackle last night was a high swinging arm, with head contact, on a player who it could be argued was looking away from the contact. Don’t be surprised if he gets another 3 games at least. To be red carded in your first game back after a 5 match ban is frankly ridiculous. Especially in a game like that against championship opponents in the final mins of the game, when it’s already won. You could say he was doing what he always does and putting max effort into his effort areas, but come on. Nobody is going to be replaying that in the video analysis the day after when it’s so inconsequential.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Regarding the game I thought it was another laboured performance. I’m sticking with my thoughts re Wello. He isn’t good enough. Yes players have to step up, but it’s his responsibility. Last night was glaringly obvious Dodd (again) needs resting (although I don’t hold him solely responsible for out poor performances). Though I did notice Wello in post match say he intended to bring Bennison on as FB and put Welsby in halves but not replacing Lomax, but had to due to HIA. So maybe he’s going to change it.
    Bang on. How many times are we going to hear the phases “we need to fix that up” or “we need to improve in that area” let’s be honest now we are pretty much half way through the SL season and we are getting the same sound bites. I don’t want to know after a game which areas need improvement this week, id rather know what has been done to address all the areas that needed improvement from the previous 12. Our discipline has been a problem for 12 weeks, with the same 3 players, why hasn’t that been recitified already. You can’t just hate the new rule interpretations and not play to them out of spite without being seriously disadvantaged. As for Dodd, you could see from round 2 or 3 that he’s a shadow of the former self as he appears to be elsewhere in his head. I’d like for Wello to come out and say that instead of publically challenging Jake Wingfield to be more consistent. Where is Dodds consistency? It’s there actually, consistently disappointing.

Wasn't the best tackle but it was hardly the worst.

He will cop 3 to 4 games because of previous.

Competing on every play & he's got it wrong.

We were moaning for years that we were too soft & now we are moaning when one of our forwards dishes it out.

Take the ban, move on

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post

We were moaning for years that we were too soft & now we are moaning when one of our forwards dishes it out.

Take the ban, move on
    But when we have players at the higher end of our salary cap spending more time off the field than on it we can’t just dismiss it mate.

We can be tough without being indisciplined. I understand there’s a fine line at times but we just need to be so much smarter in certain situations. For him to literally go out of his way and chase down their half back and put that shot on at that height was just reckless and stupid. If you’re going to sprint out at such intensity then you’re going to get everyone’s attention so you have to make sure the tackle is spot on, so why go in at that height? Bend your back and aim for the ribs if he wants to leave a mark and play tough. If he had done that then it would’ve been a fair tackle and no problem. As I said; it comes down to being smarter and keeping a cooler head in certain situations.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Take the ban, move on
    It's fair game to put a big hit on your opponents playmaker early in the match to put him off his game but at that time in that match was dumb

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Take the ban, move on
    That's how I see it too.

We play the game in an aggressive manner and our players go after teams. It's what has made us the best these last 4 years, because of our competitiveness from minute 1 to 80.

Knowles has got it badly wrong unfortunately and he will face the consequences. There was no need to do if and sometimes you've just got to use your brain. It was a stupid thing to do and once again puts the microscope on him. He's earned himself a reputation which only he can repair with time. Its very frustrating and Knowles will be feeling it today. He needs to sort himself and get back to doing what he does best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Looking at Blobby's, YG's & IG's replies, I'm with all three of you in that I completely understand your points, particularly YG's about the constant bans.

Perhaps I'm being a bit generous to Knowles, I don't know. I just didn't think it was that bad.

I do however, think he's got a bit of mongrel in him that spills over & he's going to get banned, no doubt.

I'm trying to mellow a bit in my old age and I'm not in the least bit surprised he's done it.

Looking at Blobby's, YG's & IG's replies, I'm with all three of you in that I completely understand your points, particularly YG's about the constant bans.

Perhaps I'm being a bit generous to Knowles, I don't know. I just didn't think it was that bad.

I do however, think he's got a bit of mongrel in him that spills over & he's going to get banned, no doubt.

I'm trying to mellow a bit in my old age and I'm not in the least bit surprised he's done it.
    The tackle wasn’t particularly bad if judged on its own merits but it won’t be, rightly or wrongly.

This will be his 3rd ban of the year, he’s just back off a 5 game ban and his previous record is poor. That will go against him.

Then from a Saints perspective when you consider the fact there was 20 seconds on the clock and with Leeds next week and Lees already banned….if you add it all up it was just a ridiculous and stupid thing to do.