Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dual Registration Update

Default Dual Registration Update

For one reason or another, I have started to follow Swinton Lions this year and it is quite useful that they are our dual registration partners for the year.

I thought it would be useful to keep fans up to date with who has played and how they have got on, etc

By way of context, George Delaney played about 5 or 6 games for Swinton at the start of the year and now he is becoming a regular given recent injuries and it was clear how good he was as a kid coming in and playing at that level against some really seasoned rugby league players.

I do not necessarily want to start a debate as to whether or not DR is a good/bad thing, but I think it is really useful with both sides of the agreement finding use from it. However, if that is where the discussion goes, so be it...

Swinton this weekend played Bradford Bulls at Odsal.

On DR this week was Lewis Baxter, Dan Norman and Wesley Bruines.

It was actually the first time I had been to Odsal for a good 10 years and it was in an absolutely disgraceful condition. How the pitch conforms to RL rules on width and length I do not know and in the corner there looked like AstroTurf mats to fill in to allow the corners of the in goal to be marked out. There is a dusty track around the pitch and they have stock car racing. Some genius had also placed concrete blocks down the side of the pitch on both sides to separate the race track with the pitch. One of the stewards told me that only last weekend one of the cars came off the track and was doing 'doughnuts' in the in goal area. However, you would not have known to be fair.

Turning to the match and Swinton were really low on numbers this week. They had around 12 players out so were reliant on loans and DR. They had some young lads from Salford (Amir Bourouh) and Warrington (Thomas Whitehead) too.

It was a crazy match finishing 44-38. Bradford were 26-8 up at HT and then after 10 mins of the second half it was 26-26. Bradford had just sacked their coach and Brian Noble was back helping out with Lee Greenwood who was in interim charge. Just as an aside he said in the week that he is not interested in the full time position of HC as it would not pay him enough to leave his full time job...

Turning to our players and how they went: -

- Wesley Bruines - He played at left centre yesterday. He had a solid game, but did not really do anything exceptional as you would have expected at that level. He was also at fault for one try with a poor defensive error with Dec Patton put through one of the Bradford second rowers on a short flat face ball and he mis-read it. On what I have seen (and I have seen him 3 or 4 times now for Swinton this year) I am not in the camp of putting him in the saints first team yet. He did not really help out with getting out of yardage (which you are expected to as a Saints 3/4) and he needsd to clean up his defence.

- Lewis Baxter - He started at prop. I thought he was one of Swinton's better players. He played well and played until around 65/70mins before he came off. Swinton were struggling for forwards so it may have been forced this, but he did not look out of place even after such a long stint. He seems to be a bit heavier than the last time I saw him. He give me enough confidence to think he deserves a new deal and to see how he develops.

- Dan Norman - He started at prop. I was a little disappointed with him. He has played for Swinton earlier this year but he did his leg within the first couple of minutes being on. I think this was his first game back since then and you could tell. Bradford's forwards dominated him and he did not really get his nose through at all. However, given how depleted Swinton were you would expect that he was targeted and this was the reason for it. Did two spells and got through some work, but he never looked like he could bust a tackle.

The next Swinton game is against Widnes in the Summer Bash at York. I would imagine that there will be a few more saints players playing in that game given Swinton's injuries. I heard that the plan was for Matty Foster to play there this year so he may feature in the next one. I know people have big hopes for him.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post

It was actually the first time I had been to Odsal for a good 10 years and it was in an absolutely disgraceful condition. How the pitch conforms to RL rules on width and length I do not know and in the corner there looked like AstroTurf mats to fill in to allow the corners of the in goal to be marked out. There is a dusty track around the pitch and they have stock car racing. Some genius had also placed concrete blocks down the side of the pitch on both sides to separate the race track with the pitch. One of the stewards told me that only last weekend one of the cars came off the track and was doing 'doughnuts' in the in goal area. However, you would not have known to be fair.

Turning to the match and Swinton were really low on numbers this week. They had around 12 players out so were reliant on loans and DR. They had some young lads from Salford (Amir Bourouh) and Warrington (Thomas Whitehead) too.

It was a crazy match finishing 44-38. Bradford were 26-8 up at HT and then after 10 mins of the second half it was 26-26. Bradford had just sacked their coach and Brian Noble was back helping out with Lee Greenwood who was in interim charge. Just as an aside he said in the week that he is not interested in the full time position of HC as it would not pay him enough to leave his full time job...

- Wesley Bruines - He played at left centre yesterday. He had a solid game, but did not really do anything exceptional as you would have expected at that level. He was also at fault for one try with a poor defensive error with Dec Patton put through one of the Bradford second rowers on a short flat face ball and he mis-read it. On what I have seen (and I have seen him 3 or 4 times now for Swinton this year) I am not in the camp of putting him in the saints first team yet. He did not really help out with getting out of yardage (which you are expected to as a Saints 3/4) and he needsd to clean up his defence.

- Lewis Baxter - He started at prop. I thought he was one of Swinton's better players. He played well and played until around 65/70mins before he came off. Swinton were struggling for forwards so it may have been forced this, but he did not look out of place even after such a long stint. He seems to be a bit heavier than the last time I saw him. He give me enough confidence to think he deserves a new deal and to see how he develops.

- Dan Norman - He started at prop. I was a little disappointed with him. He has played for Swinton earlier this year but he did his leg within the first couple of minutes being on. I think this was his first game back since then and you could tell. Bradford's forwards dominated him and he did not really get his nose through at all. However, given how depleted Swinton were you would expect that he was targeted and this was the reason for it. Did two spells and got through some work, but he never looked like he could bust a tackle.

The next Swinton game is against Widnes in the Summer Bash at York. I would imagine that there will be a few more saints players playing in that game given Swinton's injuries. I heard that the plan was for Matty Foster to play there this year so he may feature in the next one. I know people have big hopes for him.
    Interesting read. Thanks for the update.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Appreciate the reports & updates - thanks
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Good report. Bruines is a big lad so you would expect him to have an impact at that level with ball in hand. You kind of expect some defensive frailty but there needs to be enough attacking output to outweigh those, a bit like with Hurrell.

Norman is frustrating. For such a big unit he never seems to run his weight. Be shocked if he signed another deal, he’ll be 26 this year so still time for him to drop down a level for a couple of years and work his way back to super league. Delaney and Baxter by the sounds of it will both be better options at prop, hopefully along with a signing to replace LMS.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Good to hear what is going on. It is funny how the best players in the squad are the ones no one has ever seem play. I am sure Bruines is a longer term project and Saints will want to work on his skill set. It doesn't surprise me that he has defensive issues. Centre is tricky position to defend at especially for a big lad.

Good to hear that Baxter is doing well. He just looks like a physical prop. I think he did some time in the back row in the academy but looks like your modern "middle".

Norman feels like he has missed his window which is a shame. Definitely seems to have the raw ingredients but with Delaney and others coming through maybe his time has passed?

Some of our lads like Buckley and Moss have been on loan at Crusaders. This week they had the bye or as they were previously called West Wales. So no action for these boys last weekend.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

The highlights have now been posted to youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ilwARfH1j4

Having watched back, I feel like I have done Bruines a bit of a dis-service. He was not actually at fault for that try I blamed him for (it was the #6 Olds inside him who missed the tackle) and I also omitted that he scored two tries at the end too.

Also Baxter missed a couple of tackles on Appo which I also omitted that led to two tries.

I will blame Odsal and the fact I did not have my binoculars with me for that!

Ebon Scurr had a really good game for Bradford BTW. I am sure we were linked with him a couple of years ago. He looks overweight and not your typical RL professional but he makes a lot of yards.

In The South Stand

Having watched back, I feel like I have done Bruines a bit of a dis-service. He was not actually at fault for that try I blamed him for (it was the #6 Olds inside him who missed the tackle) and I also omitted that he scored two tries at the end too.

Also Baxter missed a couple of tackles on Appo which I also omitted that led to two tries.

Ebon Scurr had a really good game for Bradford BTW. I am sure we were linked with him a couple of years ago. He looks overweight and not your typical RL professional but he makes a lot of yards.
    I see what you mean about the pitch and the corners,what a shambles.

I think Bruines only got one, he was in the 32 jersey and number 22 scored the other one

Looking at that both Norman and Bruines have the physical frame to stand out at that level but the rugby ability I'm not sure. I don't like criticising players but Norman really needs to work on his tacking technique and his defensive positioning, even on that short video you can see he has a lot to learn

Looks like an entertaining game from the highlights.

All three lads look like big physical units. Bradford aren't a small side. It is hard to read too much into highlight or loan performances so let's just say it is good all three got game time.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Some of our lads like Buckley and Moss have been on loan at Crusaders. This week they had the bye or as they were previously called West Wales. So no action for these boys last weekend.
    They both played for Saints Reserves this weekend and from what i've seen both had pretty good games.

Got A Replica Shirt

Watching this short video confirms what I thought about Dan Norman. He's just not got the heart for the game. It was around the 24th minuet he was gassed with his hands constantly on his knees, and on a couple of occasions he was trying to tackle like an under 15. I saw on other tackles he was third or fourth in and making very little effort to be an effective tackler. Disappointing when given his size and stature.

On dual reg for Swinton from Saints this week is Dan Norman, Sam Royle and Ben Davies.

So Davies not going to be playing for us tonight.

On dual reg for Swinton from Saints this week is Dan Norman, Sam Royle and Ben Davies.

So Davies not going to be playing for us tonight.
    The Tongan twosome in the centres tonight then

It finished 38-6 to Widnes.

I have been trying to come up with something to say about the three DR players, but I cannot say anything substantive about any of their involvements. Royle did score, but it was a bit of a mess on the Widnes line and from where I was looked like he crashed over and somehow managed to get it down.

Swinton just made far too many mistakes and had two players sin binned for comments made to the ref. However, apparently the second incident was a Swinton player telling his own player to 'f' off and ref thought he had said it to him.

On a side note, the York stadium is a great championship venue and is much better than a lot of SL grounds.

It is a shame about the lack of crowds at the Summer Bash. It seems the event was held at a loss. Given the noise about wanting clear ways into Superleague there is a lack of interest from clubs and fans alike at that level.

It is a shame about the lack of crowds at the Summer Bash. It seems the event was held at a loss. Given the noise about wanting clear ways into Superleague there is a lack of interest from clubs and fans alike at that level.
    They're too busy whining about SL clubs and expansion and it being so not fair on heartland clubs to actually go and watch their clubs.

I would not read too much into the crowd tbh.

The problem with the event was the location. It is a great stadium but unless you are driving (which luckily we were) it was too difficult for most to get to/from. It is located just outside York on a retail park and it was also York races on the Saturday, which I think put most people off with traffic.

It had great (relative) success when it was held at Blackpool because of its location. In blackpool they were getting combined weekend crowds of 15k in 2019. It was at leeds last year and that got nearly 11k but in York it got nearly 7k.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I would not read too much into the crowd tbh.

The problem with the event was the location. It is a great stadium but unless you are driving (which luckily we were) it was too difficult for most to get to/from. It is located just outside York on a retail park and it was also York races on the Saturday, which I think put most people off with traffic.

It had great (relative) success when it was held at Blackpool because of its location. In blackpool they were getting combined weekend crowds of 15k in 2019. It was at leeds last year and that got nearly 11k but in York it got nearly 7k.
    I'm guessing York will have been horrifically expensive for bank holiday weekend too, not to mention with the races.

I think York is a great current success particularly in the women's and community game, but this was just marketed completely wrong. I think the RFL did it's traditional no marketing campaign

I saw a suggestion online of playing the Summer Bash at the Etihad Campus (if that's what it's called) on the same weekend of Magic Weekend - could be a great idea

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulscnthorpe View Post
    I'm guessing York will have been horrifically expensive for bank holiday weekend too, not to mention with the races.

I think York is a great current success particularly in the women's and community game, but this was just marketed completely wrong. I think the RFL did it's traditional no marketing campaign

I saw a suggestion online of playing the Summer Bash at the Etihad Campus (if that's what it's called) on the same weekend of Magic Weekend - could be a great idea
    We went to the Summer Bash a couple of times at Blackpool and had a great time.
    Didn't even consider going last year, Leeds an awful choice for a venue for it.
    We were away this year, otherwise may have considered going to York.
    Sounds a typically shambolic event though with usual lack of promotion and forethought.
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

Got A Season Ticket

I live in Blackpool and know people involved with the football club. Whilst not definitive, it is more than likely to return to Blackpool next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    I live in Blackpool and know people involved with the football club. Whilst not definitive, it is more than likely to return to Blackpool next season.

Blackpool is, to paraphrase Joel Tomkins, the armpit of the world. Especially on a night. My idea of hell.

All tattoos, shaved heads and drunken aggression. And the men are even worse.

Will Roberts playing on DR for Swinton this weekend vs Batley.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Will Roberts playing on DR for Swinton this weekend vs Batley.
    Thats excellent news, next step up for him, making similar progress to when Lewis Dodd came onto the scene. Will Roberts scores plenty of tries and goals good support player and attacks the line very well. I had Roberts and Robertson to be in the first team squad late 2024 early 2025.

I watched him for the Reserves last week against Wigan and he looked really good in parts. Tough kid given he's not the biggest. Hard to believe he's only 17