Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: 6 again

Learning All The Songs

Default 6 again

Have we ever had a worse rule in rugby league?

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    I think it's a cop-out for the refs. When there is a penalty, fans have a pretty good idea why the penalty was given. The amount of times a ref has given 6 again and I'm not sure why it's been given and then there's been moments when I've thought that must be a 6 again and nothing is given.

The idea behind the rule is good, I think the way it's been reffed has completely messed it up. They should either get rid of it altogether or have it that the captain is allowed to signal they don't want a 6 again but a penalty instead.

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Supposed to make the game quicker but rewarding the offending side by not giving any Feild position to the opposition. We’d see less penalties if you were at risk of being pushed 30-40m closer to your own line with a kick to touch.

We had an instance yesterday where ball was kicked dead, a 7 tackle set on the 20, player held down on first, then ref called a six again. Which really should have been 7 again. Teams are exploiting and slowing teams down on tackle 1 and 2. The killer is tackle 4 or 5. It could be a penalty on tackle 1/2/3 with a kick to touch with a set restart on 4/5/6 to keep the game quicker.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    I think it's a cop-out for the refs. When there is a penalty, fans have a pretty good idea why the penalty was given. The amount of times a ref has given 6 again and I'm not sure why it's been given and then there's been moments when I've thought that must be a 6 again and nothing is given.

The idea behind the rule is good, I think the way it's been reffed has completely messed it up. They should either get rid of it altogether or have it that the captain is allowed to signal they don't want a 6 again but a penalty instead.

The first couple of games under the rule I thought were really exciting, and I was reall in favour of it. But, the inconsistency in decision making has made it a farce

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    The first couple of games under the rule I thought were really exciting, and I was really in favour of it. But, the inconsistency in decision making has made it a farce

Learning All The Songs SaintJon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post
    Supposed to make the game quicker but rewarding the offending side by not giving any Feild position to the opposition. We’d see less penalties if you were at risk of being pushed 30-40m closer to your own line with a kick to touch.

We had an instance yesterday where ball was kicked dead, a 7 tackle set on the 20, player held down on first, then ref called a six again. Which really should have been 7 again. Teams are exploiting and slowing teams down on tackle 1 and 2. The killer is tackle 4 or 5. It could be a penalty on tackle 1/2/3 with a kick to touch with a set restart on 4/5/6 to keep the game quicker.
    I like that

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by SaintJon View Post
    I like that
    I think 6 agains should only come into play when your in the opposition’s half if it’s in your own half it should be a penalty as normal and allow you to kick to touch for more territory

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chief View Post

There was one particular tackle yesterday a saints player clamped the Salford player for just a few seconds and Kendall waived a 6 again, that one looked as though he gave it for an infringement on a tackle he missed previous.

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Southport Saint View Post
    Perfectly good rule to keep the flow of the game moving.

Imported from the NRL (and how many times have we complained that the same game has different rules in different competitions?).

Coaches have used cynical tactics to use the rule to the benefit of the offending team. The NRL have spotted this and amended the rule so 6 again is only called when the ball is outside the attacking team's 40 meters. Otherwise it's a penalty.

Give it another six or seven years and the RFL will cotton on.

As for the referees' consistency in interpretation, well that's a different matter...

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Lomax gets tackled , we have quick play of the ball, but Lomax is held down THEN Sneyd flops on top. Think we only get a 6 again but it should have been a penalty.

I get it if a player is held down a bit to long or a bit of messing round in the tackle, but stuff like that should result in a penalty.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

How many penalty's have you seen given for a late flop this season. Seems to have become a thing of the past.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

Starting A Programme Collection

As mentioned above, the NRL version is probably the best balance where you receive a penalty in your own 40 and a 6 again if it's out of there.

Doesn't seem right you can get a 6 again on your own line then knock on next play etc and they've got the field position.

The Sneyd one was ridiculous but the ref gave the right call, he's just following the rules.

I am in favour of it, but it needs modifying like the NRL have done when it is given for you in your own half. It is not enough of a deterrent on tackle 1 when you have the other team on their own line.

However, I would also be in favour of giving it its own signal as it is a little confusing. When the ref gives six again people sometimes around me say 'what happened then? It must have hit the other team' as the hooter is not always used.

Please can we also ask the refs to stop shouting 'you are too slow six again' in the most sarcastic, smug and patronising tone.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    As mentioned above, the NRL version is probably the best balance where you receive a penalty in your own 40 and a 6 again if it's out of there.
    This. Very simple to apply, addresses the issue.

Starting A Programme Collection Mr.Yat's Avatar

I thought I liked it when pressing opposition line and get slowed down on last tackle.... virtually a repeat set but flip side on Saturday, Lomax on tackle 1 coming out from our line, tackled and held on then Sneyd comes in as Lomax gaining his feet! 6 again but no real advantage to Saints.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Lomax gets tackled , we have quick play of the ball, but Lomax is held down THEN Sneyd flops on top. Think we only get a 6 again but it should have been a penalty.

I get it if a player is held down a bit to long or a bit of messing round in the tackle, but stuff like that should result in a penalty.
    I think in that situation the Ref should have treated it as a professional foul and give a penalty.
    Similarly if a team is repeatedly doing it on the first tackle the ref should penalise them.

But I don't know if they are allowed to use their discretion.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    The first couple of games under the rule I thought were really exciting, and I was reall in favour of it. But, the inconsistency in decision making has made it a farce

It was brought in to lower the bar on what was to be deemed a slowing of the PTB (due to Covid, of course), without having to give a load of penalties.

As you say, though, it was quickly 'sussed out' by coaches. I'd scrap it full stop to return to giving penalties - but with a much stricter enforcement and shortened time for the tackle to be completed and defenders to clear the ruck.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    It was brought in to lower the bar on what was to be deemed a slowing of the PTB (due to Covid, of course), without having to give a load of penalties.

As you say, though, it was quickly 'sussed out' by coaches. I'd scrap it full stop to return to giving penalties - but with a much stricter enforcement and shortened time for the tackle to be completed and defenders to clear the ruck.
    It is hard for teams because ref's apply ruck speed and what should/should not be penalised very differently and some refs are too easily pressured into giving them by the home crowd.

My rule would be that if the attacker 'wins' the tackle and fall on his front, any delay to clear should be penalised. Conversely, any tackler who is dominated, the defenders should be able to hold down for an extra couple of seconds. I am not sure how else you can bring in a black and white rule that will be used the same in every game. Its kinda like the surrender call but I would just scrap that.

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

If it is tackle 1 or 2 penalty +10 meters + kick to touch. In itself gets you out of your half and out of trouble, they would soon stop doing it.

If they absolutely must keep some version of it then I would go for the NRL idea where it only comes into play outside your own 40. But given the choice I would just get rid of it altogether. First of all, I don't think another layer of complexity in the rules is helpful, and secondly I don't really see what purpose it serves. It was brought in to speed the game up, and for a while it worked, but for quite a while now it has been having precisely the opposite effect.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post

Doesn't seem right you can get a 6 again on your own line then knock on next play etc and they've got the field position.

The Sneyd one was ridiculous but the ref gave the right call, he's just following the rules.
    I’m not against the concept I just think it’s not fit for purpose in its current form. Either make it a penalty if it’s inside your own half or on the first 3 tackles. Teams are abusing the current rules but they are there to be abused so can’t exactly blame them.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    I’m not against the concept I just think it’s not fit for purpose in its current form. Either make it a penalty if it’s inside your own half or on the first 3 tackles. Teams are abusing the current rules but they are there to be abused so can’t exactly blame them.
    You can blame the teams and you could punish them

Remember the team warnings we had a few seasons ago, simply if a team repeatedly offends, ref issues a team warning and next time the player gets a yellow card.

No point in bringing rules in to speed up the game if we let teams deliberately flout them

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Infamous Grouse View Post
    You can blame the teams and you could punish them

Remember the team warnings we had a few seasons ago, simply if a team repeatedly offends, ref issues a team warning and next time the player gets a yellow card.

No point in bringing rules in to speed up the game if we let teams deliberately flout them
    I’m saying you can’t blame the teams because the system is there to be exploited. Until there is a change in how the rules are enforced or changed altogether teams will keep exploiting them.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Season Ticket Billinge Bren's Avatar

Scrap it and return to a penalty. Plus kicking practice so a penalty hurts the offending team by losing 40m of ground. That's 5 tackles worth of ground lost on average which increases the attacking team's chances of scoring hugely. Boils my •••• kicking it 10m over the line but to the back of row z.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk