Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Salford

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Default 21 man squad v Salford

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/2023/05/1...-with-salford/

In: Ben Davies, Dan Norman
    Out: Konrad Hurrell, Lewis Baxter

1.Jack Welsby, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Will Hopoate, 5. Jon Bennison, 6. Jonny Lomax, 7. Lewis Dodd, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Matty Lees, 12. Joe Batchelor, 14. Joey Lussick, 15. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 16. Curtis Sironen, 18. Jake Wingfield, 19. James Bell, 20. Dan Norman, 21. Ben Davies, 22. Sam Royle, 25. Tee Ritson, 30. George Delaney, 34. Wesley Bruines

Welsby
    Ritson
    Hopoate
    Davies
    Makinson
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Lees
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Bell

Lussick
    Wingfield
    LMS
    Delaney

Bennison, Bruines, Norman and Royle to miss out.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Hurrell is a big loss.

I’d like to see Bruines given a shot at centre ahead of Davies.

Option to play Makinson at centre too with Bennison on the wing.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

1.Jack Welsby, 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Will Hopoate, 5. Jon Bennison, 6. Jonny Lomax, 7. Lewis Dodd, 8. Alex Walmsley, 9. James Roby, 10. Matty Lees, 12. Joe Batchelor, 14. Joey Lussick, 15. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 16. Curtis Sironen, 18. Jake Wingfield, 19. James Bell, 20. Dan Norman, 21. Ben Davies, 22. Sam Royle, 25. Tee Ritson, 30. George Delaney, 34. Wesley Bruines

Welsby
    Ritson
    Hopoate
    Davies
    Makinson
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Lees
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Bell

Lussick
    Wingfield
    LMS
    Delaney

A side that has already been lacking punch, loses the main attacking threat so far this season. Been some year this!

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Hurrell is a big loss.

I’d like to see Bruines given a shot at centre ahead of Davies.

Option to play Makinson at centre too with Bennison on the wing.
    Me too but I think he will go for the more experienced Davies. He got 80 mis under his belt for Swinton last week too so fitness wise should be fine. I'm not a fan of his personally though.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Me too but I think he will go for the more experienced Davies. He got 80 mis under his belt for Swinton last week too so fitness wise should be fine. I'm not a fan of his personally though.
    Only positive I can cling to on Davies is he had a good game vs Hull before injury. But that might have been because it was easy to stand out that day

Learning All The Songs

Welsby
    Ritson
    Hopoate
    Davies
    Makinson
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Lees
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Bell

Lussick
    Wingfield
    LMS
    Delaney

I think that will be the team.

However, I would rather see Bennison at fullback, Bruines instead of Davies, Welsby at stand off. However, pigs might fly!

Disappointing that Paasi isn't in the squad. Wellens mentioned the Salford game as his comeback a while ago so he must be there or therabouts.

Agree.

Likely to be Davies and Hopoate.

Personally I would prefer Bruines and Makinson and bring Bennison to left wing.

If Wellens doesn’t play Bennison I will despair. But after his comments re going back to basics I see us reverting to up the middle all afternoon. Wingers won’t see any ball to speak of and Salford will just run round us. Saturday will be a grind.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

I would agree with YGs team.

We could go with Makinson at centre to get Bennison back in. Norman probably needs a game or two to decide if he warrants a deal next year.

Side question, is Hurrell injured or dropped? His sin bin vs Catalans was pretty stupid and avoidable. Maybe Wellens is sending a message regarding disappline?
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Starting A Programme Collection

Not ideal to lose Hurrell, he's been our best in a few of the games. The centres look weak.

Thankfully they've got Sio, Lafai out and Brierley has been named but is 50/50 apparently.

So they're missing 2 key backs at least so evens up Hurrell and Percival to an extent.

Pack looks stronger with Sironen back, no Paasi a shame but we should be strong by the time Leeds comes around.

They're in form but with both sides having a few out we really need to be winning this one, no excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I would agree with YGs team.

We could go with Makinson at centre to get Bennison back in. Norman probably needs a game or two to decide if he warrants a deal next year.

Side question, is Hurrell injured or dropped? His sin bin vs Catalans was pretty stupid and avoidable. Maybe Wellens is sending a message regarding disappline?
    Is strange they haven't said it's an injury but he was seen to a few times by the doctors on Friday.

He's won us games on his own such as Hudds away (created all points pretty much) so be crazy to leave him out for this I think given our current league standing.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Disappointing that Paasi isn't in the squad. Wellens mentioned the Salford game as his comeback a while ago so he must be there or therabouts.
    Didn't he then have an operation and we were told he'd be out 'for some time'. Or was that Percival?

In The South Stand

Davies and Hopoate at centre. Dreary me today. We'd be far better putting Bennison fullback and Welsby at centre or Makinson at centre and Bennison on the wing. It'd give us some attacking threat at least.

I thnk we are putting too much faith in Bruines. He is still a young kid and despite some decent performances in the Reserves, the step to SL is huge. My understanding is that defensively he still has a lot to work on. Granted you can argue the same can be said about Hurrell but he is so destructive in attack he compensates for this.

Halifax in the CC may well be a good game to give Bruines a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Didn't he then have an operation and we were told he'd be out 'for some time'. Or was that Percival?
    Paasi was a minor knee clean out. Percival was a hamstring but whilst he is out with that he has also had some minor knee surgery (clean out)

I will be joining them myself soon, have a knee clean out in a few weeks, a sure sign of getting old.

I thnk we are putting too much faith in Bruines. He is still a young kid and despite some decent performances in the Reserves, the step to SL is huge. My understanding is that defensively he still has a lot to work on. Granted you can argue the same can be said about Hurrell but he is so destructive in attack he compensates for this.

Halifax in the CC may well be a good game to give Bruines a chance.
    I haven't seen him play but if there's a team in the comp that will find out a poor defensive edge it's Salford.

Got A Season Ticket

Paasi was a minor knee clean out. Percival was a hamstring but whilst he is out with that he has also had some minor knee surgery (clean out)

I will be joining them myself soon, have a knee clean out in a few weeks, a sure sign of getting old.
    Will expect to see you back to full match fitness 2 or 3 weeks later then :-)

Davies did enough before his injury to earn a crack at the centre spot. This team should be good enough to win, if the players are up for it. If we struggle again, then the questions will start to mount up.

Got A Replica Shirt

I'm struggling to see why Lussick and Dodd are still in the 17. Play Wingfield as a replacement hooker, and for pity sake put Bennison in the team.

In The South Stand

As bad as Hopoate you, I think we need to trade you in. Breaking down all the time, over 40, live in Wigan...

Quote Originally Posted by winno 67 View Post
    I'm struggling to see why Lussick and Dodd are still in the 17. Play Wingfield as a replacement hooker, and for pity sake put Bennison in the team.
    This is how standards slip across the board.

Underperforming players keep on getting picked, it gives no incentive for the backups to work harder in training and it gives the message to the "better" players that no matter how they play they are guaranteed to be picked.

Lussick knows that he is undroppable, regardless of how he plays - so where is his incentive to operate at 100%

Bennison had to sit and watch Hopoate and Dodd stink the place out last week, when with a bit of re-organisation he could have been playing. They get rewarded for that performance by being picked again this week, and he gets to sit on the sidelines watching again.

Wingfield has spent the last 12 months or so playing effectively as a prop, occasionally at 13. I don't think it would wise to suddenly call on him to play 9. If Lussick was to be dropped then Pemberton or Bell would be at 9 before Wingfield.

In The South Stand

Quite. Lussick is stealing a shirt and Dodd is either not back to full fitness or has his head elsewhere or both. A spell out of the team would do Dodd good, a spell out of the club re Lussick would do the team good. Whilst the transfer window is open we need a new hooker!

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Davies and Hopoate at centre. Dreary me today. We'd be far better putting Bennison fullback and Welsby at centre or Makinson at centre and Bennison on the wing. It'd give us some attacking threat at least.
    That's what I'd go for, I've argued it before.

The problem we have with Welsby (an it's a nice problem) is that he's probably the best full back, centre and stand off we have. I understand we might lose some of his creativity at centre, hence the reluctance to play him there, but in the current situation that would be his best position in terms of other players available. I've never been sold on Davies, nor Makinson when he's at centre, and Bruines needs time to develop.

Learning All The Songs

Dreading this one
    Insta @christianjamescreative