Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Bell

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    As already mentioned earlier he had some ball handling skills but Woolf coached it out of him to anchor the middles. I noticed in the media that Victor Radley is having the same problem as Knowles with his technique and discipline and coach Robinson has shot a broadside saying Radley is being targeted by the officials, very similar to the situation with Knowles.
    For me that's the key point. Knowles is a tremendous player. He did the job Holbrook wanted him to do brilliantly, then he did the job Woolf wanted him to do brilliantly, but the game moves on. Personally I think he's too good a player to find himself marooned with an outdated skillset, but it's early days in the Wello era so I'll be interested to see what role he has going forward an how he adapts to it. (I would, however, be surprised if he was ever used as prop on a regular basis)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

2 year deal announced. He has certainly earned it!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    2 year deal announced. He has certainly earned it!
    Certainly has. He's been very reliable and has been one of the few players that has improved so far this season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Good news!

In The South Stand

Player of the year for me so far. Richly deserved contract extension.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

This is great news!!
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Chuffed for him, good link between the forwards and the backs, plays to what he sees in front of him so less of a robotic player.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Very patient early on but has shown his worth.

Noooobie

See BBC on the ball reporting a quote from head coach Richie Wellens

Got A Season Ticket

Over the moon for him, I've championed him a lot and always thought he's been great for us. He's a class, intelligent, hard-hitting player who I feel has been unfortunate to miss out a lot in the past, and he fully deserves the extension. Wouldn't have blamed him for leaving though, the fact that he hasn't, to me, shows his strength of character and determination to fight for his shirt.

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Got A Replica Shirt

But does Bell make the first 17 - in the unlikely event everyone is fit and not banned?
    Maybe that doesn't matter because 90% of the time we will be missing one of Batchelor, Knowles, Sione or Sironen

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwai View Post
    But does Bell make the first 17 - in the unlikely event everyone is fit and not banned?
    Maybe that doesn't matter because 90% of the time we will be missing one of Batchelor, Knowles, Sione or Sironen
    He’s a better loose forward than Knowles at the moment in my opinion. The ball is in Knowles court. In any case Bell has excellent flexibility. He can cover second row as well, and hooker and halfback. He won’t be short of games over the next two years.

He’s certainly made the most of his opportunities this season in an under-performing team. Wasn’t he left out of the starting 18 in last year’s GF at the expense of Wingfield on the bench?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    He’s a better loose forward than Knowles at the moment in my opinion. The ball is in Knowles court. In any case Bell has excellent flexibility. He can cover second row as well, and hooker and halfback. He won’t be short of games over the next two years.
    Was talking about this the other day to someone - I think Bell stays at 13 in my strongest 17 now and Knowles becomes part of the prop rotation at the expense of LMS. I don't think you can drop Bell and Knowles needs to work his way back into being first choice 13 in my opinion, if that's what he wants.

Walmsley
    Roby
    Knowles/Lees
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Bell

Lussick
    Matautia
    Paasi
    Knowles/Lees

Alternatively you leave out one of the three 2nd rowers but I can't see him doing that.
    Last edited by The Yellow Giraffe; 2nd June 2023 at 08:17.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Was talking about this the other day to someone - I think Bell stays at 13 in my strongest 17 now and Knowles becomes part of the prop rotation at the expense of LMS. I don't think you can drop Bell and Knowles needs to work his way back into being first choice 13 in my opinion, if that's what he wants.

Walmsley
    Roby
    Kowles/Lees
    Batchelor
    Sironen
    Bell

Lussick
    Matautia
    Paasi
    Knowles/Lees

Alternatively you leave out one of the three 2nd rowers but I can't see him doing that.
    That's my thinking too YG

Got A Season Ticket

Agree. The 13 shirt is Bell's now.

However, no doubt Wellens will put knowles straight back in.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
    Agree. The 13 shirt is Bell's now.

However, no doubt Wellens will put knowles straight back in.
    I think it will be horses for courses, if he needs more attack then Bell at 13 if he needs more defence then Knowles at 13. Both will probably be automatic choice in the first 17. It s up to Wello re coach Knowles towards the Holbrook era, the way the game is going then Bell is a ready made fit.

Got A Season Ticket

Very good news, watched him in Warriors (NZ) juniors he was a standout. Waimarie James.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

I like Bell, he’s a good player.

However the 13 shirt still belongs to Knowles for me, Knowles has been one of our top performers and one of if not the first name on the team sheet for me the past few years. I would always worry if he was missing given his ridiculous engine, strength, steel and defence which seems to have been somewhat forgotten. You can see what we miss when he’s not playing. Regularly touted as a man of steel by rugby league pundits.

Bell can make an impact off the bench at 13 and if Matautia is heading back home then he can also provide SR cover for Sironen and Batchelor from next season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post

However the 13 shirt still belongs to Knowles for me, Knowles has been one of our top performers and one of if not the first name on the team sheet for me the past few years. I would always worry if he was missing given his ridiculous engine, strength, steel and defence which seems to have been somewhat forgotten. You can see what we miss when he’s not playing. Regularly touted as a man of steel by rugby league pundits.

Bell can make an impact off the bench at 13 and if Matautia is heading back home then he can also provide SR cover for Sironen and Batchelor from next season.
    I don't disagree with anything you've said. However he can use his engine, strength, steel, defence at prop. Defensively, 13 and prop do the identical job as part of the middle unit. But with ball in hand Bell has more skill as a ball playing 13. Plus, until Knowles can sort out his disciplinary problems I don't think we can count on him to string a run of games together so for the sake of consistency and continuity I would keep Bell where is personally.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    I don't disagree with anything you've said. However he can use his engine, strength, steel, defence at prop. Defensively, 13 and prop do the identical job as part of the middle unit. But with ball in hand Bell has more skill as a ball playing 13. Plus, until Knowles can sort out his disciplinary problems I don't think we can count on him to string a run of games together so for the sake of consistency and continuity I would keep Bell where is personally.
    I totally appreciate the other side to the debate and suppose it’s personal preference.

I just feel Knowles still offers more for the team at 13 than Bell, and Bell can have a bigger impact off the bench.

We have some real good props in Walmsley, Lees, Paasi. LMS is still performing really well and could be included in that, then there’s Wingfield who needs to do better for me (Appreciate he’s still only 21) and Delaney who looks a real prospect.

I wouldn’t be totally against the idea of starting Knowles at 13, then at 30mins bring Bell on for Knowles, second half bringing Knowles back on at prop. However this would probably only be if we were down one of Walmsley/Lees/Paasi.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post

Yes, fair enough. A lot of this is just personal preference. For me Knowles needs to sort out his discipline because he is a liability at the moment. He was perfect for Woolfe ball but things have moved on and I think Bell is a better all round loose forward. Knowles defence is awesome when he is able to stay on the field but he can do that from prop just as well I reckon. He is a possiblel successor to LMS, playing 50 to 60 minutes each match. I hope next season Bell gets the no 13 squad number. I think when our pack starts firing again, and if Dodd can fully recover, our pivots with Bell at 13 would be very dangerous. Then we just need a bit more pace in the centres in due course. With all that has gone on this year, I don't think we are far away from winning the thing again and for me Bell is a key piece of the jigsaw.

In The South Stand

Default James Bell

An on form Knowles is our 13. Current form Knowles is an interchange prop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got A Season Ticket

Bell to stay at 13 for me, Knowles needs to earn the 13 shirt back and should be used off the bench or starting in the second row. Bells defence is as good as Knowles and his passing is excellent.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by paraman View Post
    Bell to stay at 13 for me, Knowles needs to earn the 13 shirt back and should be used off the bench or starting in the second row. Bells defence is as good as Knowles and his passing is excellent.
    Are you dropping Batchelor or Sironen to start him at 2nd row