Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 21 man squad v Warrington

Thought the whole team played well, didn’t see anyone put in a poor performance or show a lack of desire/ effort.
    I know Dodd has struggled since his magnificent performance in the WCC but this was a massive improvement and he should continue to improve week on week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The old adage half backs can't play behind a beaten pack.. The forwards have struggled for weeks. Dodd has invariably been kicking out of our own 40.
    The pack themselves have been used to go forward from Tommy and Percy and that has not been there either.
    Most teams have figured our pattern and kicked to Tommy negating his first carry. Consequently big Al not had space to gallop into, etc.

Starting A Programme Collection Mr.Yat's Avatar

I rate Ashton, he's an absolute flyer but pleased to see him get on the outside of Ritson in the early minutes of 1st.half, only for Ritson to turn, catch and tackle him into touch! Great confidence booster for him.

Starting A Programme Collection

Bewareshadows mentioned the Hull KR game. We were right in at at half time, but I always had the feeling we would drop off in 2nd half. As it was they scored a couple of kick through tries and we struggled to get on front foot. I was expecting similar against Wire, but the performance was up a notch from the previous week. Coaching? The players determined to perform? A great result that fills everyone with confidence going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Yat View Post
    I rate Ashton, he's an absolute flyer but pleased to see him get on the outside of Ritson in the early minutes of 1st.half, only for Ritson to turn, catch and tackle him into touch! Great confidence booster for him.
    I think he could fill the role left by Grace comfortably. Its that sort of pace that we have missed. You saw Lomax chip a kick into the corner for him to chase and he nearly got there. However, that is no diss to either Makinson or Bennison.

This team could be really exciting with pace and power and it could be a new era of Brazil style RL. We need to fit Ritson, Bell and Delaney into this team.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    I think he could fill the role left by Grace comfortably. Its that sort of pace that we have missed. You saw Lomax chip a kick into the corner for him to chase and he nearly got there. However, that is no diss to either Makinson or Bennison.

This team could be really exciting with pace and power and it could be a new era of Brazil style RL. We need to fit Ritson, Bell and Delaney into this team.
    It’s up to Delaney to push himself into the 4th prop spot ahead of the (presumably retiring) LMS.

Ritson played well. Don’t know when Makinson is back but it looks like a straight shoot out between Bennison and Ritson for the other slot, he can only do with best with the game time offered. Please god let us never see Hopoate on the wing again.

Bell has a chance to stake a claim on the 13 shirt following Knowles’ suspension and below par form before that. Up to him to give Wellens that headache.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    It’s up to Delaney to push himself into the 4th prop spot ahead of the (presumably retiring) LMS.

Ritson played well. Don’t know when Makinson is back but it looks like a straight shoot out between Bennison and Ritson for the other slot, he can only do with best with the game time offered. Please god let us never see Hopoate on the wing again.

Bell has a chance to stake a claim on the 13 shirt following Knowles’ suspension and below par form before that. Up to him to give Wellens that headache.
    I would keep Bell at 13 and move Knowles to prop. I think that is a position that he will flourish in, and Bell gives us far more attaching options.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Walmsley, Makinson and Sironen expected back for Catalans.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Walmsley, Makinson and Sironen expected back for Catalans.
    Would presume Wingfield will return too

Harsh on Ritson and Bennison for either of them to step down to accomodate Makinson ( not a knock on Tommy).

Sometimes the notion of meritocracy is bugled by coaches and sometimes just quitely ignored.

Makinson comes back in soon no doubt but the extra week has been earned by both wingers IMO.

In The South Stand reliable sauce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    Harsh on Ritson and Bennison for either of them to step down to accomodate Makinson ( not a knock on Tommy).

Sometimes the notion of meritocracy is bugled by coaches and sometimes just quitely ignored.

Makinson comes back in soon no doubt but the extra week has been earned by both wingers IMO.
    Disagree.

If Makinson is available he comes back in, we are playing one of the better sides in the league and need our best available. Makinson is the best winger in the competition, has been for years. A good performance last week from 2 squad players doesn’t dispel him from the team when he’s needed.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Disagree.

If Makinson is available he comes back in, we are playing one of the better sides in the league and need our best available. Makinson is the best winger in the competition, has been for years. A good performance last week from 2 squad players doesn’t dispel him from the team when he’s needed.
    Agree with you. Makinson more than has enough credit in the bank and is still the best winger in SL.

He'd been carrying a knee injury most of the season and hopefully the couple of weeks off has helped him get over the injury and he's now fully fit and can show his best form. If there is any doubt in sure Ritson will step in and do a great job. We're in a good position with those 3 wingers (Makinson, Bennison and Ritson) currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

He’s also our goal kicker which could be the difference in a tight game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by reliable sauce View Post
    Disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Agree with you. Makinson more than has enough credit in the bank and is still the best winger in SL.

He'd been carrying a knee injury most of the season and hopefully the couple of weeks off has helped him get over the injury and he's now fully fit and can show his best form. If there is any doubt in sure Ritson will step in and do a great job. We're in a good position with those 3 wingers (Makinson, Bennison and Ritson) currently.

It might be considered a subtle or overly sensitive point regarding possession of the shirt and I completely get the opposite opinion.

I'm also not a fan of needling up stars (always catches up with you) when you have capable replacements who by the coach's words have been "chomping at the bit" and "training the house down" etc.

Makinson will start no doubt and the next star will play busted until they physically can't.

There are arguments for and against but at this stage of the season and the way
    the league is geared to Aug and playoffs, I'm just not a fan of this approach on both counts.

Starting A Programme Collection

Lees & Dodd are doubtful they've not trained this week

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    Lees & Dodd are doubtful they've not trained this week
    Lees would be a huge miss. Any idea what the Dodd injury is?

Should shut a few moaning Wiganers up if they don't play given we were disrespecting the England side by withdrawing them with nothing wrong with them . . . .

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    Lees would be a huge miss. Any idea what the Dodd injury is?

Should shut a few moaning Wiganers up if they don't play given we were disrespecting the England side by withdrawing them with nothing wrong with them . . . .
    Lees has a rib knock and Dodd has been nursing his hamstring for a while. Last I heard they weren't sure if the problem was the hamstring itself or something referred from his lower back.

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    Lees has a rib knock and Dodd has been nursing his hamstring for a while. Last I heard they weren't sure if the problem was the hamstring itself or something referred from his lower back.
    That would certainly explain Dodd's relatively muted performances so far this season. If he is missing at least it will give us a chance to try out the Bennison f/b, Welsby s/o, Lomax s/h many have been suggesting (and solve the problem of who to drop in favour of Makinson)