Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Warrington Thursday

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

Default Warrington Thursday

Doesn't get any easier. Who if anyone can we expect back? Be a long day at the office without some reinforcements in the pack.

We are 4-point favourites with the bookies at the moment, will have to back against us again unless we get some good squad news.

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

With that said there was very little on Warrington's bench to be worried about on Friday night. Be interesting to see their squad too, think Bullock is back for them which will help their pack out somewhat.

I am really concerned about this game and if we are +4 then I am lumping on. Not only because of our form and how they are playing, it sounds like we are not going to have any of our first choice forwards available and they are going to have Bullock and Philbin back meaning that Kasiano can be destructive off the bench rather than having to play big minutes.

Hopefully Lees can avoid his ban and Sironen and Paasi are able to play. If not, I cannot come up with a team that does not start Delaney and have three kids on the bench with Welsby having to move to #13.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Saints by 2

In The South Stand

Hard to make predictions until we find out who is a playing. If they ban Lees and no one returns, you can't win games missing 9 forwards, no club could. If Lees, Paasi and Sironen are all available (I think those are the only possibilities, leaving 6 out) then I'd expect a similar game to the Hull KR one. We'd be competitive but ultimately fall short.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Hard to make predictions until we find out who is a playing. If they ban Lees and no one returns, you can't win games missing 9 forwards, no club could. If Lees, Paasi and Sironen are all available (I think those are the only possibilities, leaving 6 out) then I'd expect a similar game to the Hull KR one. We'd be competitive but ultimately fall short.
    I agree, its a tough call if we have more than 5 first choice forwards out. However I would like to see a repeat of Percival second row and Welsby Loose Forward with Bennison Full Back and Ritson on the left wing. We won't be as predictable with that set up. need a good game from Dodd to show his performance matches his ambitions.

Starting A Programme Collection

It's a big game.

As Saddened has said above if those players are available then it's a big difference but expectations are now so low a team that regularly won games with 6 out last year now have to accept defeat to Wire. Some turn of events.

If we've got:

Welsby
    Makinson
    Hurrel
    Hopoate
    Bennison
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Lees
    Roby
    Paasi
    Sironen
    Percy
    Bell

LMS
    Delaney
    Lussick
    Royle

Then we simply have to be in the game and go close to winning or it's another poor showing.

If we take Lees, Paasi, Sironen out of that then I'll be content losing by 12-18 points with a good effort. Our home atmosphere is normally very poor, they could really do with us Friday.

Wouldn't surprise me if we started a little like how we finished if 1 or two of the 3 mentioned above.

Bennison
    Makinson
    Hurrell
    Hopoate
    Ritson
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Paasi
    Roby
    LMS
    Bell
    Percival
    Welsby

Delaney
    Lussick
    Royle
    Baxter?

Just as an example team if we only get 1 back, can swap and change. That team should lose but the chaos of it could be interesting.

One thing squad wise that annoyed me Friday is why use Roby only for 33 mins if he's fine? Surely could've played some 13 and why use a bench spot on a winger when you're light in the pack as it is.

Then Delaney didn't see the pitch until 50 mins so we used 2 of the 4 subs first half whilst being down on forwards. No wonder they couldn't breathe second half. Give Baxter/Buckley a go and give them 2 10 min spells if needed. No more nonsense with the use of the bench, we can't afford it.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

On current form we haven't a cat in hell's chance.

Can't see the team being much different to the one that went to HKR

So I'll go expecting a loss but be very pleased if we win.

Got A Season Ticket

We will get beat wete not good enough

Learning All The Songs

Warrington by 16

In The South Stand

Not sure how they’ve priced Warrington at 11/8, unless they had about fifteen injuries on Friday.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Difficult to predict without seeing the squads.

If we can get 2 or 3 back and Lees is available we've got a chance. If we haven't and Lees is unavailable it'll be a tough night for us.

Warrington weren't good on Friday though. Wigan battered them for large parts. 13-6 flattered them, on another day Wigan would've scored 30pts but they were very wasteful. If that team and bench plays against us it might not be as bad as we think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

I don’t see how seeing the squads makes much different when tactically, we’re playing as we are at present. I think Warrington win this with relative ease in the end. We might be okay defensively for periods but we’re likely to give away penalties and be punished off the back of these and a side like Warrington will take the chances presented to them, in the same way Wigan did in Good Friday and KR did on Friday night.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Warrington by 14-18

But an improvement in performance from us

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Not sure how they’ve priced Warrington at 11/8, unless they had about fifteen injuries on Friday.
    Bet365 offering 17/10

Too good to miss at that price, methinks.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    One thing squad wise that annoyed me Friday is why use Roby only for 33 mins if he's fine?
    That's either Wellens knowing Roby is injured and not wanting the news to be known, or it's simply because Robes is at a point in his career where consecutive games become too much. We've said for years now he needs to do less minutes and it seems as if our chickens have finally come home to roost.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    That's either Wellens knowing Roby is injured and not wanting the news to be known, or it's simply because Robes is at a point in his career where consecutive games become too much. We've said for years now he needs to do less minutes and it seems as if our chickens have finally come home to roost.
    Its sad to say about the legend but at the moment it looks a season too far for him, hope he gives it one last push for the play offs.

I think we have to take this and the Catalans game with a pinch of salt. I would never write off a game but maybe it is worth trying some things out.

After shouting down the "Give Ritson a go" squad it does feel like maybe it is a sensible time to give him a small run. Wello said post match that he liked our structure more once he came onto the field so maybe he will want to keep going with that on Thursday.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    I think we have to take this and the Catalans game with a pinch of salt. I would never write off a game but maybe it is worth trying some things out.

After shouting down the "Give Ritson a go" squad it does feel like maybe it is a sensible time to give him a small run. Wello said post match that he liked our structure more once he came onto the field so maybe he will want to keep going with that on Thursday.
    Lets see who is back first.

If Paasi and Sironen are back we could have 12/13 of the side who beat Penrith out there.

If we lose the next 2 games it'll be the joint worst start in Saints SL history I believe. The previous 2 seasons we had 4 wins from 10 we'd sacked the coach.

Catalan should be a different story.

By that point Paasi, Sironen,Walmsley and maybe even Batchelor should be back.
    Last edited by JamesSL; 17th April 2023 at 14:35. Reason: edited as misread the post above about not writing off games.

Lets see who is back first.

If Paasi and Sironen are back we could have 12/13 of the side who beat Penrith out there.

If we lose the next 2 games it'll be the joint worst start in Saints SL history I believe. The previous 2 seasons we had 4 wins from 10 we'd sacked the coach.

I'm not sure we can just be writing off games particularly not Catalan.

By that point Paasi, Sironen,Walmsley and maybe even Batchelor should be back.
    That was why I said we shouldn't write off the games. Part of the regular season is to be ready for the playoffs regardless of suspensions and injuries. If we can get some of our fringe players ready or even trusted by the coaching team to do a job then it is worth doing.

So if we, completely for example, put Ritson on the wing, Makinson to fullback, Welsby to 13. If we were forced to do a similar change during a cup or play off game due to injury we would know if that line up worked.

Equally if Baxter or Buckley got game time we would know what they had to offer. Again, if we had a change enforced before a big game.

Equally, Wigan made Warrington look pretty beatable. Throwing something a little different at them could get us the win.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its sad to say about the legend but at the moment it looks a season too far for him, hope he gives it one last push for the play offs.
    I don't think it needs to be, with proper rotation and not flogging him every week I'm sure we'd see a lot more out of him. For all the stick Lussick has got, I think when he has a chance to play consistent minutes he'll do well for us. Give them roughly 40 minutes a game each and we'll see a better output from both.

Wellens' rotations leave a lot to be desired at this point for a number of reasons. Hopefully this is something he addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    That was why I said we shouldn't write off the games. Part of the regular season is to be ready for the playoffs regardless of suspensions and injuries. If we can get some of our fringe players ready or even trusted by the coaching team to do a job then it is worth doing.

So if we, completely for example, put Ritson on the wing, Makinson to fullback, Welsby to 13. If we were forced to do a similar change during a cup or play off game due to injury we would know if that line up worked.

Equally if Baxter or Buckley got game time we would know what they had to offer. Again, if we had a change enforced before a big game.

Equally, Wigan made Warrington look pretty beatable. Throwing something a little different at them could get us the win.
    I'm fully on board with the Baxter/Buckley stuff. I can't believe they didn't get a game Friday.

I get your idea, just seems using Wire at H as a trial game to some extent is a recipe for disaster.

On the other side, the coaches plan at the minute doesn't seem to be working either.

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I don't think it needs to be, with proper rotation and not flogging him every week I'm sure we'd see a lot more out of him. For all the stick Lussick has got, I think when he has a chance to play consistent minutes he'll do well for us. Give them roughly 40 minutes a game each and we'll see a better output from both.

Wellens' rotations leave a lot to be desired at this point for a number of reasons. Hopefully this is something he addresses.
    We also haven't seen Pemberton yet which is a bit of a mystery to me. Wello said he was if the frame at the beginning of the year. You would hope that both Lussick and Pemberton could and should spell Roby more than they currently are.

I'm fully on board with the Baxter/Buckley stuff. I can't believe they didn't get a game Friday.

I get your idea, just seems using Wire at H as a trial game to some extent is a recipe for disaster.

On the other side, the coaches plan at the minute doesn't seem to be working either.
    I have heard people saying that we should have given Ritson a run vs the likes of Wakey, Hull and Leigh.

Let's be honest if Ritson had played vs Leigh a lot of us would be saying Wello was trying to fix something that wasn't broken. Making changes for a team we should beat has the risk of looking very stupid if we lose.

Wire at the moment is a game we are probably expecting to lose, so if Wello tries something different and we lose we have actually lost nothing. The risk in trying something is much lower.

Infact, Wello showing the home fans he is his own man and willing to try different tactics and players to the home fans is more likely to win people over. Rather than acting like a stubborn WW1 general, telling the boys to run out of the trenches again.

If we we can bloody Wires nose, even in defeat, we could at the very least get a moral victory. "You did win, but only just. Wait until we have our first choices back."
    Last edited by Noel Cleal; 17th April 2023 at 15:03.