Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Lewis Dodd

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by V_v_V View Post
    Its not his injury and recovery I have any issue with, its having an eye on the NRL already - so early in his career and while his playing standard is way off. Its like a slap in the face. "Look at me, I'm awesome, better than SL" but not actually showing it on the field. If he was having a big impact on the game (as Welsby was), then he'd be partly justified. At the moment its very pretentious and because overall Saints aren't performing well, its irritating.
    I don't want to be too pointed, but whenever anyone who has issue with any young professional with ambition in any field of work it probably says a lot more about them than the person it's aimed at.

If that's what he wants to achieve good on him for chasing it.

The whole he's not playing because he wants to go to the NRL is nonsense, it directly harms his chance of earning a good deal if he doesn't perform

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I don't want to be too pointed, but whenever anyone who has issue with any young professional with ambition in any field of work it probably says a lot more about them than the person it's aimed at.

The whole he's not playing because he wants to go to the NRL is nonsense, it directly harms his chance of earning a good deal if he doesn't perform
    If this was just about wanting to go to the NRL he would be playing his socks off! It's something else. In any case, if wants to play in Australia, that's his prerogative. On this form he won't have much chance in my view so it's in everyone's interest to get it sorted out.

Got A Season Ticket

About me - I'm looking at retirement after a very enjoyable career, in fact, I'm hoping to continue what I do as long as I live, just because I like it.

I don't envy anyone having ambition, you must have that to become better. Its pretentious and irritating when someone is ambitious for something they have very little realistic chance of achieving. That only leads to frustration and disappointment. Reach for the next step and keep going I believe is a better mantra.

Maybe getting an NRL agent now (maybe it is Mike Rush as has been suggested already) is to help Lewis along his career path by directing and controlling his growth? In practical terms, I mean by warding off early interest rather than encouraging a move too early for him.

I haven't said anything to prompt your last sentence. Its plain to see he is still in recovery from a very nasty injury. I hope he recovers 100% and after many years of service, becomes a Saints legend.

Learning All The Songs

Like all fans, I want to see Dodd doing well. However, it is clear that, at present, he is not playing as well as we know he can, for whatever reason.

If he continues in the vein of form, I can't see an NRL side being interested for the foreseeable future.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    One or two on here should be taken to the airport.

I'm going to repeat myself here, but I don't care.
    IMO he's still getting his head around a serious, potential career ending injury, and needs time to do this. Lots of time.
    For what it's worth, he can have the whole season from me to do this. I want to see him in a red v next year and beyond.

Get off his back!
    I'd also like to support Dodd in his re-emergence into the team. Who knows how last seasons injury has healed or is affecting confidence - or what other injuries and issues have cropped up from this season. I feel he is a quality player, still very young and with a lot of potential still to fulfil. Who know's if he'll get there - but he has my support while he remains a Saints player for sure.

I remember Welsby (to name one of many players) getting stick from certain parts of our fanbase for scratchy performances earlier in his development. I'm not comparing the two but I feel Dodd is suffering a similar criticism. Another challenge is that the scrum half role is not adequately covered in the current squad - and this puts extra pressure on. When we had the option of Fages a couple of years back, there was both heathy competition for the scrum half spot and cover for injuries.

It's not easy to balance the squad with the salary cap - though i think there's scope for a utility that could be good cover for scrum half and another position (maybe hooker). I don't know if Lussick could do a job there or Bell... but it's something we should be working on, because right now Dodd is in patchy form and could do with supporting through this phase and having the option for some time out / in the subs to aid his recovery and find form again.

I'm with KentishBarry that if it takes the whole season for Dodd to recover and we only see his form come back consistently next season - I'm okay with that. Of course we'd all like to see him come good for the end of this season - but he needs time and encouragement after such a bad injury. I think the WCC game was a false dawn in many ways and i don't think anyone expected Dodd to be back to top form so soon. The coaching team should find some alternatives and not expect Dodd to carry the weight of expectation of our supporters, nor for the team to carry his dip in form... I believe and hope he'll come good in time if he's well managed.

Learning All The Songs

About me - I'm looking at retirement after a very enjoyable career, in fact, I'm hoping to continue what I do as long as I live, just because I like it.

I don't envy anyone having ambition, you must have that to become better. Its pretentious and irritating when someone is ambitious for something they have very little realistic chance of achieving. That only leads to frustration and disappointment. Reach for the next step and keep going I believe is a better mantra.

Maybe getting an NRL agent now (maybe it is Mike Rush as has been suggested already) is to help Lewis along his career path by directing and controlling his growth? In practical terms, I mean by warding off early interest rather than encouraging a move too early for him.

I haven't said anything to prompt your last sentence. Its plain to see he is still in recovery from a very nasty injury. I hope he recovers 100% and after many years of service, becomes a Saints legend.
    That's why I tried to make it more general - I don't know anyones story on this forum.

I dont think it's fair to say he's being pretentious and has very little chance of achieving an NRL side. He's a talented young player who's been tipped to play at the very top at every stage of his development, he's now hit a bad run of form and the wolves are circling.

Realistically he's not been in form for what? 10 weeks? 2 and a half months of a 15 year career is nothing. I'm sure in your career you've had periods of time where you've not performed well, particularly early in your career, did that mean you just settled for staying where you were? Don't forget that this agent is in place for 2 years in the future. Would you decide that because you'd had little over 2 months of bad work that you couldn't move on to other avenues in 2 years time? Mike Rush has told him not to go to Wests as he's good enough to get better clubs.

I get what you're saying about reach for the next step but he's 21 years old, he's got two Grand Final rings, he's kicked the winning drop goal in a World Club Challenge and he's been a key part of a champion side (injuries aside). He's well within his right to look at the NRL with his forecast career path over the next 2 years.
    Again, the last sentence is a general point, as was the post hence not being pointed.

Ultimately the only gripe that people can possibly have is they want him to stay at Saints. Which is fair enough, we're all fans and we all want that. This is his job, he can earn a much better living over there and may prefer the lifestyle, he isn't a St Helens fan and will make the decision that is best for him.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    I see your point, there have been some over the top comments and Dodd is still a great prospect, But this isn't the NHS and it's not a charity and he is not playing well. Bennison is doing everything he can and I think he deserves a shot at fullback where I think he would do well, better than Welsby is at the moment, who also hasn't been at his imperious best. Perhaps we would be better served with Lomax and Welsby in the halves and stand off is Welsby's natural position.

Then give Dodd all the time he needs in the reserves. He would not be paid any less than he is currently being paid, and I assume he is on good money. It is a job after all. When he is ready he can fight his way back into the first team
    Maybe that's what he needs Pasty. I don't have an issue with that.
    I just think it's far too premature for those suggesting that we show him the door.

Learning All The Songs

I just think it's far too premature for those suggesting that we show him the door.
    Yes, he is still a potential super star but I don't think he is there yet and his injury must have had an impact, physically, mentally or both. I don't want to see him go. That said if he got a chance in the NRL good luck to him. I think there is too much pressure on him at the moment and yesterday he looked like he has lost some pace, either that will come back or he will adapt. Booting him out would be crazy. He is better than that and he was injured playing us so we owe him a duty of care too.

In The South Stand

I agree with this, although his kicks were 100% better in the second half yesterday, allowing the chasers to pressure Salford and hence the mistakes they made. It was a return to the intensity that has brought us success and in the heat that was pretty impressive. It showed Dodd has a part to play and he may yet have a return to form.

Got A Season Ticket

That's why I tried to make it more general - I don't know anyones story on this forum.

I dont think it's fair to say he's being pretentious and has very little chance of achieving an NRL side. He's a talented young player who's been tipped to play at the very top at every stage of his development, he's now hit a bad run of form and the wolves are circling.

Realistically he's not been in form for what? 10 weeks? 2 and a half months of a 15 year career is nothing. I'm sure in your career you've had periods of time where you've not performed well, particularly early in your career, did that mean you just settled for staying where you were? Don't forget that this agent is in place for 2 years in the future. Would you decide that because you'd had little over 2 months of bad work that you couldn't move on to other avenues in 2 years time? Mike Rush has told him not to go to Wests as he's good enough to get better clubs.

I get what you're saying about reach for the next step but he's 21 years old, he's got two Grand Final rings, he's kicked the winning drop goal in a World Club Challenge and he's been a key part of a champion side (injuries aside). He's well within his right to look at the NRL with his forecast career path over the next 2 years.
    Again, the last sentence is a general point, as was the post hence not being pointed.

Ultimately the only gripe that people can possibly have is they want him to stay at Saints. Which is fair enough, we're all fans and we all want that. This is his job, he can earn a much better living over there and may prefer the lifestyle, he isn't a St Helens fan and will make the decision that is best for him.
    I think the only place our opinion differs is you're assessing Lewis over a 15 year period into the future whereas I'm looking at where he's at now and his achievements so far. Yes, I agree and saw last year why he is tipped to be at the top but its premature (in my opinion) to be setting his sights on an NRL move right now. His performance so far doesn't justify it. I'd love nothing more than for Lewis to have a storming 2023-24 and then consider his best offer. After doing that he'd be able to back up his claims, he'll have earned the right and hopefully the respect of us fans to do that, but still, I'd like him to stay at Saints. So you're right, that is the only gripe - providing he lives up to the hype.

Learning All The Songs

I think the only place our opinion differs is you're assessing Lewis over a 15 year period into the future whereas I'm looking at where he's at now and his achievements so far. Yes, I agree and saw last year why he is tipped to be at the top but its premature (in my opinion) to be setting his sights on an NRL move right now. His performance so far doesn't justify it. I'd love nothing more than for Lewis to have a storming 2023-24 and then consider his best offer. After doing that he'd be able to back up his claims, he'll have earned the right and hopefully the respect of us fans to do that, but still, I'd like him to stay at Saints. So you're right, that is the only gripe - providing he lives up to the hype.
    I think you're misunderstanding his position in that case.

He isn't assessing his position for right now. Players negotiate their contracts a season ahead in SL, in the NRL clubs often do this 2 years ahead as they are allowed to do so. By appointing an Australian agent now, they can be negotiating any potential move for the 2025 season.

If he did have a storming 23/24 and wait as you say, NRL clubs will have already done their business and he'd be left picking up crumbs at bottom feeders. His agent has to be working on it now, not in August next year.

Got A Season Ticket

I think you're misunderstanding his position in that case.

He isn't assessing his position for right now. Players negotiate their contracts a season ahead in SL, in the NRL clubs often do this 2 years ahead as they are allowed to do so. By appointing an Australian agent now, they can be negotiating any potential move for the 2025 season.

If he did have a storming 23/24 and wait as you say, NRL clubs will have already done their business and he'd be left picking up crumbs at bottom feeders. His agent has to be working on it now, not in August next year.
    Thank you, thats what I wanted to read. Although I have been watching NRL games for the last few years, it was only as a side interest so I wasnt aware of so much foreplanning. Respect.