Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Testimonials

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Got A Season Ticket

Default Testimonials

I am a bit confused - I have just read that Josh Charnley has been granted a 12 month testimonial. I was always under the impression that a testimonial was awarded for 10 years at a single club. It strikes me as strange that a player should get this reward when he has also left the game to play RU in the middle of gaining any 10 year continuous run anywhere.

Is this the RFL now attempting to make it easier for players to earn a testimonial by now granting it to anyone who has played 10 years in the last 13 - 14 years? How does that reward loyalty?

Learning All The Songs Two Wheeled Saint's Avatar

I saw that this morning, one for the boys

In The South Stand

Is it much different to Amor getting one ? He didn't do 10 years at a single club but no one was jumping on that

Got A Season Ticket grungellamas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Is it much different to Amor getting one ? He didn't do 10 years at a single club but no one was jumping on that
    I believe that it is 10 years, not that they must be at one club. Pretty sure Jordan Turner got his in 2021.

I think it is done when a player has done great service to the game and most importantly, the club he is currently at does not have a player that has done 10 years for them.

So Leigh don't have a good candidate for a testimonial so Charney has taken the free space which is fair enough. He has been a long term fixture at Wigan and Warrington, so it isnt like he has been a journeyman.

How much enthusiasm Leigh fans will have is questionable but I am sure Wigan and Warrington fans will show their support.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Amor did 9 years at Saints though and (I think) him being a Cumbrian heritage player came into it as well as his achievements so could argue he deserves it more than certain others...but fundamentally I agree with the post. A testimonial is (as far as I understand) there as a reward of loyalty to a player who achieves 10 years at one club. Seeing as the majority of players will have senior careers of 10 years or more (maybe with drops into lower leagues), are Super League now saying 10 years in Super League qualifies you?

Either way - as the OP said - Charnley left rugby league to pursue a career in RU so hasnt even done 10 consecutive years in the sport so baffles me he is awarded one

Learning All The Songs

Its rare that players spend 10+ years at a single club, we have been blessed with the number we have had. I have no issue with players receiving a testimonial based on 10+ years consecutive service to the sport with multiple clubs, but Charnley hasnt done that, he left for a period of time so i dont think he deserves one.