Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Andy Ackers

Starting A Programme Collection

Default Andy Ackers

Signed 4yr deal chalk him off replacing Roby

I'm not sure anyone had him pencilled in.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    Never thought he would. The club obviously have a plan in place. Lussick is here, he's the obvious choice,who will be second choice though isn't that clear yet

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Ackers would be a serious step down from even a veteran Roby.

Let's see what Lussick can do (he's been disappointing so far, but not much opportunity to play himself into form)

Pemberton was the big hope. Does anyone know how he's progressing?
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    A very good player who has had a Batchelor like rise last season.

I like div didn't see him as a target.

The future initially lies in the hands of current players.

Lussick has another year but needs to step up.
    Will Pemberton progress to be one of a pair of hookers for 2024?

If Saints needs to recruit beyond those two for 2024 then an islander "jack in the box" ala Edwin Ipape
    and perhaps someone who can cover half or FB as well.

First crack to Lussick and Pemberton.

Let's see how it goes.

Learning All The Songs

You say "even" a veteran Roby like he isn't still the best Hooker in the league
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

feels like a bit of a house of cards at Salford, they have no money but are dishing out high value long term contracts all over the place.

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo8 View Post
    feels like a bit of a house of cards at Salford, they have no money but are dishing out high value long term contracts all over the place.
    The are hoping that the current spate of big contracts will encourage more fans.

I hope it works. Although Salford have been a particular thorn in our side the last couple of seasons, its only better for the game in general to have more competitive sides.

Just read that Salford have been given a £350k "liquidity loan" from the council to stop them from going bust. Those long term big money deals for Croft, Ackers and Watkins look even stranger now.

In The South Stand

To be honest, apart from his "dart over the line" tries from close range, I've seen nothing to indicate that we should persevere with Lussick. He always looks gassed and his distribution is at best avrerage. He's a mile away from Robes (there again who isn't?) so I could be b being over critical, but I think he's been a disappointment. Ackers looks to have upped his game and I'm sure if we'd snapped him up we could get the very best out of him. He seems a more "natural" fit for our style. I guess only time will tell but Lussick hasn't doen anything of real note for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo8 View Post
    Just read that Salford have been given a £350k "liquidity loan" from the council to stop them from going bust. Those long term big money deals for Croft, Ackers and Watkins look even stranger now.
    I can’t remember his name but there’s a wealthy bloke who’s been rumoured to be investing in them for a while. I can only assume that something like that is happening behind the scenes (and might actually be the reason the council were willing to give them a loan to help with cash flow). If I’m wrong then it does seem incredibly rash.

Got A Replica Shirt

Joey Lussick, spends more time stood in the oppositions line than behind the play the ball. This has a knock on effect (literally) when randoms go the the PTB and distribution is then erratic and not as per the usual good distribution Roby gives.
    For me I would let him go, and look for somebody else if Pemberton is not ready or deemed good enough.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I can’t remember his name but there’s a wealthy bloke who’s been rumoured to be investing in them for a while. I can only assume that something like that is happening behind the scenes (and might actually be the reason the council were willing to give them a loan to help with cash flow). If I’m wrong then it does seem incredibly rash.
    That investment isn't happening. Salford are in a bad way and I'm surprised they've managed to make payroll this far.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    That investment isn't happening. Salford are in a bad way and I'm surprised they've managed to make payroll this far.
    It does seem that way doesn't it. But the Salford fans on Twitter are confident they are now very well run and will have absolutely no issues. The contracts they've given to Croft and Ackers are just odd aren't they.

Learning All The Songs

thank heaven we have our own stadium and are not tenants like Wigan and Salford so we get the full cash flow benefit of hospitality etc

In The South Stand

Salford are after another loan, this time from their local council as their chairman says they need it to survive. That on top of not knowing where they will pay, defaulting on their previous loan and most recently, asking musicians to work for free. If I were a fan, I wouldn’t be confident on the future when finances and stadia make up 40% of the criteria IMG are setting out.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

There was probably an element of Salford protecting their assets with the deals though. If they have to make sacrifices for money, they are tied down and would require a decent fee.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    It does seem that way doesn't it. But the Salford fans on Twitter are confident they are now very well run and will have absolutely no issues. The contracts they've given to Croft and Ackers are just odd aren't they.
    I know a couple of people within the Salford club and it's a mess financially. The long term contracts are more paving the way for transfer fees if they can cash in than actually securing a long term playing roster, especially with Croft.

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    I know a couple of people within the Salford club and it's a mess financially. The long term contracts are more paving the way for transfer fees if they can cash in than actually securing a long term playing roster, especially with Croft.
    I guess it also applies to getting things such as loans. If they claim that at a pinch they could get a few £100k from selling players they have collateral.

Generally Salford do feel like a ticking time bomb. It just feels like a matter of time until they run out of cash and disappear similar to Bradford
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Going back to the OP. I wouldn't see Ackers as a serious target by Saints. He is just hitting his stride as a player but he is pushing 30 so can't really be taken as a long term investment.

We either need a proven commodity as a short term fix i.e. Daryl Clark, or someone with some milage still in them that could potentially hold down the position for a few years to come.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.