Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Hull FC

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Good win, given our form and injuries.

Went as expected, we controlled the tempo of the game and went set for set because we can handle doing that.
    And someone asked if I was on drugs. You have to be shitting the entirety of this forum?

Noooobie

Not seen the game live or on Sky.Was anything said about the player sliding in and connecting with Bennison as he scored his second try?.It was a penalty under the sticks for Wire a couple of weeks back!.

Learning All The Songs

No it was ignored.. again its another case of player didn't stay down so its not looked at.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Noooobie

Cheers

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by saintcozy View Post
    Not seen the game live or on Sky.Was anything said about the player sliding in and connecting with Bennison as he scored his second try?.It was a penalty under the sticks for Wire a couple of weeks back!.
    Don't watch it back mate you will want to fall asleep? BORING ONE UP RUGBY.............Come back Mick Potter

Got A Season Ticket

If (an extremely dubious one at that) Lomax gets a ban for that high tackle, then surely it would be Welsby to SO and Bennison to FB giving Jonny another week of rest. Also Hurrell back in at centre and Percival if he's fit. Not wishing or expecting Lomax to be punished but it wouldnt be a disaster if he was.

Got A Season Ticket

Still out of sorts. 2 points in the bag. Job done. Onto next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    Don't watch it back mate you will want to fall asleep? BORING ONE UP RUGBY.............Come back Mick Potter
    Saw the tries on Twitter,won’t bother watching the recording.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The.Reverand View Post
    And someone asked if I was on drugs. You have to be shitting the entirety of this forum?
    Not at all. They played our game and went set for set with us, we defended well in the first half and second half they created little and only scored off our errors. With both sides of the ball affected by a three quarter line up of Ritson, Davies, Bennison and Makinson, we managed that game well, overall, and controlled the momentum of it.

I’d be livid if I were a Hull fan that for such a good performance (allegedly but Carney and co talk shite), they’ve created next to nothing and got one questionable try (Welsby’s hand) and off an error (Wingfield dropping the ball). They were ordinary, as were we but we had the quality to win the game.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Huge hit! Andre Savelio smashes Matty Lees to force knock-on!

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...force-knock-on

This is the Sky headline for the clip of Savelio's illegal shoulder charge on Lees that should have been a yellow and penalty to us.

This is what we're up against. Most of the RL world wants us to fall on our face. Wire now seem to be the darlings and getting every soft decision go their way.

It's open season on some of our players, and the muppets love it. On the other side of the coin, we get pinged for everything.

Let's get the seige mentality back that served us so well under Woolf. Feck everyone else.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Learning All The Songs yogi bear's Avatar

They came with a clear game plan to slow our tackle 1 and 2 as much as possible - even at the expense of giving a set restart, which we got 5 - but should have been every set, or certainly a team warning for persistent offences.

We then missed Makinson' kick returns massively - got no momentum going all night. Whilst Ritson and Bennison did nothing wrong, both are lightweight in this area. No Hurrell and Percival taking strong carries also didn't help.

2 points in the bag - but big improvement needed next week

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    Huge hit! Andre Savelio smashes Matty Lees to force knock-on!

https://www.skysports.com/watch/vide...force-knock-on

This is the Sky headline for the clip of Savelio's illegal shoulder charge on Lees that should have been a yellow and penalty to us.

This is what we're up against. Most of the RL world wants us to fall on our face. Wire now seem to be the darlings and getting every soft decision go their way.

It's open season on some of our players, and the muppets love it. On the other side of the coin, we get pinged for everything.

Let's get the seige mentality back that served us so well under Woolf. Feck everyone else.
    I don’t think Savellio used his arms all night

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I hope tonight has settled the Bennison vs Ritson debate for a while.
    Your kidding right? We will have the same debate next week.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Krappy game overall not helped by the referee not allowing any quick ball with lots of lying on and offside. As mentioned most of our pivots not creating anything, still losing composure, the only positive is that we didn't miss 40 to 50 tackles this week.

For Hull it looked as though Tony Smith wanted to play defence first, in attack they had a lot of scraps and bad execution. I thought we mighr have pulled away early in the second half by going 3 scores in front, but we are still very clunky.with that weak back line.

Got A Season Ticket ChippingSodburySaint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OoOGazOoO View Post
    How on earth has Dodd got MotM. Was just thinking through that game, we are getting nothing from J-Lo or Doddy at the moment, and our kicking game on the last bar 1 or 2 decent kicks, has been crap.

Not sure that really papers over any cracks, we are way, way off where we should be.

Wello has got a job on to get us turned around if you ask me, there are too many players way below their best, so he's got plenty to get sorted.

Ritson's experience (or lack of) is coming to the fore too, looks a bit lost defensively and all at sea.
    We burst out laughing when Dodd got motm

How did they come up with that. I was advocating putting welsby back alongside Lomax (to get lomax’s confidence up again and to inject some spark) with Bennison going at full back

The game was really poor, both sides lacking confidence. The sky pundits saw it as Hull playing better? If they play like that week in week out they will get several hammerings. We were pretty awful and still won, just!

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Big let off there! Any time a team has played off the cuff rugby against us this season we’ve been all over the place defensively.
    That’s the idea !

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk DD's Avatar
    Newton-le-Willows; East Side of the Fence.

There are two ways of looking at this. One is that a tired side won the game despite having all three available centres missing, as well as our first two choice second-rowers, and with a number of walking wounded towards the end. The other is that we scraped a win against a •••• poor side, and we could so easily have lost it had they not dropped the ball inches short when unopposed at 16-12 with just a few minutes to go.

I suppose that when we've been as bad as we have recently, we just needed a win and there is no doubt that we had lost virtually all of our attacking potential down the edges. With Hurrell, Mata'utia and maybe Percival back at Huddersfield, we should have much more to offer.

On the negative side, I can't remember the last time a Saints side lacked so much intensity both with and without ball. We didn't fall off as many tackles today, but we were playing one of the worst sides in the competition, who also had three of their first choice three quarter line missing. Walmsley, Paasi and Lees were barely noticeable all night. Three weeks after returning to Australia, we have to start putting this fatigue idea to bed.

Whilst you do need the pack to lay a platform, both halves were garbage tonight. I think Lewis Dodd is going to be a really great player, but I think he needs to take games by the scruff of the neck more and be a little bit more influential. Just be a little bit busier and more dynamic. What those last tackle kicks were in the first half, I'm not sure, but repeatedly lofting the ball for the full back to have catching practice serves no purpose. I'm not blaming him for that. He's clearly playing to orders, but it's a concern. We looked so much better on attack in late 2021 and early 2022 because Dodd offered more variety on the last set, but it seems that has been taken away from him.

Overall, it was lethargic and we got away with one. Three defeats from four against the rubbish we've played so far would have been unthinkable, but now the harder games are starting to come. We will have to play much, much better than this if we are to go to Huddersfield and Wigan and take anything from those games.
    THIS YEAR LENDING SUPPORT TO:- St. Helens RLFC, Manchester City, Celtic, Alemannia Aachen, Steps 1 to 6 Non-League Football

Glad to get 2 points. I'm not panicking but it is obvious that we are struggling.

Doesn't help with blatantly obvious shoulder charges being either ignored or missed by the officials. Savelio should have been sat on his bum in the dug out for 10 minutes.

Pity he never showed that aggression when he played for us

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Mixture of everything for me, too much chopping and changing in the back row/centres through injury and suspension to get any sort of cohesion going out wide, we've had Hurrell, Percival, Makinson, Davies and Sironen in the centres so far (over here) Sironen, Matautia, Bell, Wingfield and Royle all in the back row..

As mentioned on here Dodd and Lomax have been poor, and lacking a bit of punch at the moment.. I do wonder if teams are starting to work us out a bit in attack, I suppose the proof will be when we get some bodies back on the field.

Hurrell and Matautia back next week, maybe even Hopoate, and hopefully Percival was precautionary..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    Read my comment again. I'm saying nothing is decided. Ritson did fine but had no chance to show his ability in attack.

If the wings had been the other way round, it's likely Ritson would have got those two tries. And it would have been just as silly for anyone to declare "hope the argument is now settled".
    Ritsons defence did bend a lot but didn't particularly break. I do feel like he jammed in on the centre too much. If Hull had done a cut out pass we could have been in trouble. I am not sure Ritson didn't have any chances. He made a break and got tackled then he just got tackled out near the corner.

However, one winger scored two tries, caught everything and looked solid as a rock. The other looked a little wobbly but didn't make a fool of himself and didn't score. It is clear who had the better game and should be the preferred option.

This won't stop the same people asking why Ritson isn't playing every week.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Season Ticket

The important thing is that we got the win. There are a number of variables which are affecting our performance such as absentees, having a huge target on our back with being world champs and also as awful as it sounds, a psychological hangover from being crowned world champs. We've got a new coach who wants to apply his own ideas on top of that. Call them excuses but they're definitely reasons. A bit of luck and bags of graft got us the 2 points. Now they have to build on that next week and hopefully have a few bodies back.

Think you have to be happy with the two points tonight. A lot of mitigating factors with the lack of centres and second rowers. We could have easily caved in out wide. I think the biggest concern is the apparent lack of energy. The players look like they are running in treacle the last few weeks. Maybe this win will inject a bit of fuel.

Lastly, I know it's difficult to fit them all in, but I still maintain Welsby is more effective at stand off where he can dictate play rather than receiving it with men up in his face

Got A Season Ticket

Right, some on here need to calm down. Especially The Reverend whose knowledge of rugby it seems can fit on the back of a postage stamp.

We’ve started the season with a final, the biggest game and the greatest win in the club’s history. Our performance curve to that point was steep and rapid. Quite naturally we’ve come down from there hard, and now our performance curve for SL is behind every other team’s. Anyone who thought the WCC wouldn’t have a massive effect on the first 2 months of the season is deluded.

We’ll be fine. Let’s see where we are and how we’re playing in June. I’m not worried and what’s more, I expected everything we’re seeing right now.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

A good win I thought especially given the players we had missing. Percival, Hurrell, Batchelor, Matuatia and Hopoate would all start for us if available. It was very noticeable just how little punch and cohesion we had in attack. Those 5 add alot to our exit sets in particular and get us on the front foot. We were really struggling to get on the front foot in the 1st half and as a result we didn't have many opportunities whatsoever. The play the ball speed was very slow. A combination of the lack of punch in pur exit sets but also Hull slowing the game down and moving up quick to stop pur front row getting a roll on, because they knew our edge players couldn't because of who we had missing.

I thought we played better 2nd half and started to make more inroads into Hull's half and create chances. Our attack was way off, both Lomax and Dodd are not playing well and were lucky Welsby did play quite well tonight, because without him we wouldn't have won.

Defensively much improved but still not there. We just need to gradually improve and blow off the mental fatigue of the WCC. Hopefully that's a confidence booster and I suspect we'll improve next week with a few players back. We'll have to better to beat Huddersfield but it was a small step in the right direction. I think we'll be absolutely fine and will get our form and rhythm back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Just back now so can’t comment on any shoulder charges etc. however, we look jaded for whatever reason and we’ve stopped doing the basics, no line speed, aggression in defence and no kick chase pressure. I’m beginning to worry about Good Friday and the W*nky Wolfs game.
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional