Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Ben Davies

In The South Stand

Default Ben Davies

Out for 5-6 weeks. Shame for him as Friday was his best game.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Out for 5-6 weeks. Shame for him as Friday was his best game.
    I'd like to see him have a proper run in the backrow. I don't rate him at centre. Can't fault the lads attitude or effort though.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    I'd like to see him have a proper run in the backrow. I don't rate him at centre. Can't fault the lads attitude or effort though.
    I agree with this. He's not a centre or a SO.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Mander View Post
    I agree with this. He's not a centre or a SO.
    Always had him similar to Josh Jones trying his best in the backline but eventually going into the pack, can never fault him for effort.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 21st March 2023 at 08:48.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Always had him similar to Josh Jones trying his best in the backline but eventually going into the pack, can never fault for him effort.
    Good parallel. Has the skillset to become another Batchelor. The sooner he moves to SR the better.

Starting A Programme Collection

Friday was definitely his best game and the way he stayed on, with injuries, as long as he could is to be commended as well.

I don't get the second row stuff really, his main issue is his lateral movement and wherever he is on an edge teams will find that out like Leigh did. I'm not sure he's a strong ball carrier either.

Can't question his commitment and effort, though.

Personally I'll be surprised if he ends up with a SL career long term but if he keeps leaving it all on the pitch like he clearly did on Friday then he's giving himself the best chance.

Starting A Programme Collection

Good parallel. Has the skillset to become another Batchelor. The sooner he moves to SR the better.
    And replaces?

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    And replaces?
    Whoever gets a ban for a late shot on the passer. There's always one.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Don’t think he has the size for a regular pick at SR. His pace may be questionable too. Possibly ok as a back up there. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up at Wakey or Salford in a couple of years.

Got A Season Ticket

Not a chance of moving to SR...We have more than adequate cover and we have big plans for Baxter and Foster in the near future. Sadly he will either go to a lower standard SL club or he will go to to Widnes. He's a 100% trier but thats it. The way he ambled in and the scruffy touch down wasn't pretty on the eye either. But no one can knock his bravery. Hope he recovers soon.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    Not a chance of moving to SR...We have more than adequate cover and we have big plans for Baxter and Foster in the near future. Sadly he will either go to a lower standard SL club or he will go to to Widnes. He's a 100% trier but thats it. The way he ambled in and the scruffy touch down wasn't pretty on the eye either. But no one can knock his bravery. Hope he recovers soon.
    Baxter is a prop, and Foster is a huge doubt given his injuries. Buckley is the only real backrower we have coming through at the moment, with Vaughan behind him (though Vaughan may long term be better at centre). We are short of back rowers behind Mata'utia, Sironen and Batchelor, as Wingfield and Bell are really "middles" and its not a position we are great at developing.

I think there's a decent player in Davies somewhere, and seems to get unfairly lambasted on here. If he wants more game time then I can see him going to a lower SL club (hes so far out of Widnes' league its not even funny) but hes a decent backup, who plays wherever hes asked, and as he physically matures will do a decent job, at least until we have some further prospects coming through and/or we bring in our next Championship prospect (someone like AJ Wallace at Bradford garnered a lot of SL attention last year but teams wouldnt pay the transfer fee, but is OOC this year).

In The South Stand

I cannot see Davies as a second row, either. Certainly not a Saints second rower.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I cannot see Davies as a second row, either. Certainly not a Saints second rower.
    He’s one of those that you look at and can’t work out what his best position would be, he can cover a number but you can’t really say where he stands out.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    He’s one of those that you look at and can’t work out what his best position would be, he can cover a number but you can’t really say where he stands out.
    Strikes me as the type of player who will remain around the first team for several years without ever cementing a spot, useful to have though to cover several positions. Then eventually we’ll need the cap space elsewhere or he’ll want 1st team rugby and sign for Salford or Leigh.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.