Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Saints Academy 2023

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Got A Season Ticket

Default Saints Academy 2023

Thumped London Broncos today.

Star boy Harry Robertson played his first game at academy level and scored a hat trick.

Ben Will is a try scoring machine and scored 4!

Robertson played Full back with Whitby and Roberts in the halfs

In The South Stand

Where is Ben Will from? How old is he? I've never heard of him.

Got A Season Ticket

Not sure but he scored 13 in 9 apps last year for the academy

WARNING! PIE EATER!

These sort of blow out scores do nothing for the game, the teams or coaching staff.
    I was at Wigan v Newcastle academy yesterday and Wigan won comfortably to nil. It must have been disheartening for the young Newcastle team, somehow there needs to be a rethink at this level, maybe two or three divisions I'm not sure?
    Any thoughts?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    These sort of blow out scores do nothing for the game, the teams or coaching staff.
    I was at Wigan v Newcastle academy yesterday and Wigan won comfortably to nil. It must have been disheartening for the young Newcastle team, somehow there needs to be a rethink at this level, maybe two or three divisions I'm not sure?
    Any thoughts?
    Are there enough academy teams to do this? Or would it end up playing the same sides against each other 4 times to make up the fixtures?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Noooobie

We will have some good ones in there. I have no doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogues Gallery View Post
    Any thoughts?
    They did try to form elite academies but then teams like Castleford got upset when they didn't get one.

I guess with the likes of London and Newcastle it is a bit chicken and egg. You need the competition to become good but you need to become good to be competitive. If you get my point.

In the short to medium term it doesn't help anyone to get scores like this.

I have been suggesting an American style collegian system where academies are associated with Universities and get scholarships to play etc. If this was the way things worked you would find that a lot of players would move up to Newcastle to strengthen their team.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    They did try to form elite academies but then teams like Castleford got upset when they didn't get one.

I guess with the likes of London and Newcastle it is a bit chicken and egg. You need the competition to become good but you need to become good to be competitive. If you get my point.

In the short to medium term it doesn't help anyone to get scores like this.

I have been suggesting an American style collegian system where academies are associated with Universities and get scholarships to play etc. If this was the way things worked you would find that a lot of players would move up to Newcastle to strengthen their team.
    London this weekend fielded 11 first teasers that had come through their own academy, so obviously over time it is working for them

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Where is Ben Will from? How old is he? I've never heard of him.
    I believe he is a half back but has been on the wing for our academy as there are some good players in the spine of our academy.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

110-4 win away against Newcastle Thunder today.

Just seen the highlights. The number 8 Stephens looks like a handy prospect, ran in like a team train, big lad, offloads, went almost the length of the field with the first carry of the game. Number 5 Will looked to have some serious gas as well. Difficult to judge though given the standard of the opposition. It was like watching under 18’s vs under 14’s.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Just seen the highlights. The number 8 Stephens looks like a handy prospect, ran in like a team train, big lad, offloads, went almost the length of the field with the first carry of the game. Number 5 Will looked to have some serious gas as well. Difficult to judge though given the standard of the opposition. It was like watching under 18’s vs under 14’s.
    Stephens was just as dominant against Wigan academy

In The West Stand

Good to see we have a strong presence in the 3/4s represented in that group. Given a lot of fans are looking at our aging 3/4s in the first team, hopefully it will give a good opportunity for a good few like Dagnall, Robertson and Sambou to break through.

The futures bright

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Good to see we have a strong presence in the 3/4s represented in that group. Given a lot of fans are looking at our aging 3/4s in the first team, hopefully it will give a good opportunity for a good few like Dagnall, Robertson and Sambou to break through.

The futures bright
    I can see the likes of Stephens, Vaughn and Robertson getting the odd game in the first team towards the back end of the 2024 season. The "Young Guns" are in a great environment to break into the future first team squad.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Anyone know the KO time and location for this game? I found a few articles on the net about the game, but none mentioned when or where. I’m not far from Perpignan and meet go if it’s there.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Anyone know the KO time and location for this game? I found a few articles on the net about the game, but none mentioned when or where. I’m not far from Perpignan and meet go if it’s there.
    The game is 8pm tomorrow in Saint-Gaudens. We arrived about two hours ago after coming over on the same flight as the team - Paul Anderson was sat next to my husband. About 180 miles from Perpignan so might be a bit of a trek for you!