Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cunningham MK2

Got A Season Ticket

We always lose to the promoter side, tolouse last year now Leigh.

It’s a •••• poor result however you spin in, more so when you’re 12-0 up. That said slating Wellens already is pathetic, i remember huge doubts over Woolf in the early days.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

A bit late to the party but good lord, some of these posters don’t deserve our team. What would they made of Saints in the ‘80’s?
    Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional

Noooobie

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    What an absolute tw@t of a post

Wello deserves more respect than that you clown.
    We have just become world champions. I'm not worried in the slightest.
    Poor second half as was last week. The lads looked tired after 25 minutes so probably another below par performance next week also.
    You don't become a bad player or team within 3 weeks so get behind our team.
    Wellos under no pressure whatsoever so stop talking rubbish.
    Off the subject but comparing pre match entertainment.
    We had a band no one had heard of, and a light show/ fireworks display no one noticed. Leigh had T'Pau and our own Michael Smith. Ffs how bad and cheap are we. Come on now let's marketing dept this is embarrassing

Learning All The Songs

One thing I would like to see Wellens do is rotate Roby and Lussick more. I think we'll see more out of both if we do so, if Lussick is getting 30-40 minutes of regular rugby each week he should find his groove and Roby will benefit for the reduced workload in the long term.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsaregods View Post
    A bit late to the party but good lord, some of these posters don’t deserve our team. What would they made of Saints in the ‘80’s?
    I was there in the 80s... we're all doomed......

Starting A Programme Collection jefmeister2004's Avatar

Quite liked following us home n away in the 80s .... mighty mal, platt, connolly, vievers, wardy, lockers .... some classics like the boxing day turnaround at CP, lancs cup that mccracken tackle ..., lancs cup edwards 'tackle' on mal

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

••••ing pathetic thread, some people need to get a grip.

KC was nowhere near a final never mind a trophy.

We are the WCChampions (under Wello) and the lack of respect here is phenomenal.

Leeds made a grand final last season after losing their first 11 games. Who won the GF in 2020 AND 2021 from 2nd? no-one wins the Grand Final or Challenge Cup in March!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Starting A Programme Collection

I was there in the lean years some so called fans need to get a grip c.o.y.s.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    ••••ing pathetic thread, some people need to get a grip.

KC was nowhere near a final never mind a trophy.

We are the WCChampions (under Wello) and the lack of respect here is phenomenal.

Leeds made a grand final last season after losing their first 11 games. Who won the GF in 2020 AND 2021 from 2nd? no-one wins the Grand Final or Challenge Cup in March!
    I mean technically, KC made 4 semi-finals so whilst we were a million miles away as a club the on field results weren’t too far away. It was only really in 2017 when the results started to match the general mood of the club.

I fear that the “but he won the WCC” might be a bit of a false standard to start Wellens on - given it was Woolf who navigated last year and the injuries, and we have no idea how much involvement or otherwise Woolf had on the day in Penrith as well. As others have said, we don’t win anything in March, but the air of inevitability of our eventual victory is slipping and it’s been an important tool over the last couple of years. Turning us around in a slump is hard when your in the battle every week, especially if (and I’m not saying certainly) some of our senior players have seen the WCC win as their crowning achievement, and have come back without the same desire and motivation which has carried us at times.

Got A Season Ticket

Having followed them since the late 70s it boggles my mind how good saints are in every way these days. The problem is that the supporters that didn't experience those days have no idea how lucky they are. I'll never forget driving over the M62 on freezing snowy Sunday afternoons to watch us lose comprehensively to teams like Dewsbury and Halifax.

Without wanting to sound like a Hovis advert, experiencing the lows makes the highs feel even higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    It was the hope that killed me Pasty.

Quote Originally Posted by jefmeister2004 View Post
    Quite liked following us home n away in the 80s .... mighty mal, platt, connolly, vievers, wardy, lockers .... some classics like the boxing day turnaround at CP, lancs cup that mccracken tackle ..., lancs cup edwards 'tackle' on mal

Agreed, the days when I was happy just to win a game, never mind a trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHarryPinner View Post
    Having followed them since the late 70s it boggles my mind how good saints are in every way these days. The problem is that the supporters that didn't experience those days have no idea how lucky they are. I'll never forget driving over the M62 on freezing snowy Sunday afternoons to watch us lose comprehensively to teams like Dewsbury and Halifax.

Without wanting to sound like a Hovis advert, experiencing the lows makes the highs feel even higher.
    Again, I concur, since the mid ‘90’s I have had no complaints about the club. However, nostalgia aside, I prefer summer rugby.

Yeah, summer rugby much better. The worst times i can recall were 79-83, real barren - cant recall any quarter final never mind any semis ... only plus was seeing pies go down

Last edited by jefmeister2004; 11th March 2023 at 21:26.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    I mean technically, KC made 4 semi-finals so whilst we were a million miles away as a club the on field results weren’t too far away. It was only really in 2017 when the results started to match the general mood of the club.

I fear that the “but he won the WCC” might be a bit of a false standard to start Wellens on - given it was Woolf who navigated last year and the injuries, and we have no idea how much involvement or otherwise Woolf had on the day in Penrith as well. As others have said, we don’t win anything in March, but the air of inevitability of our eventual victory is slipping and it’s been an important tool over the last couple of years. Turning us around in a slump is hard when your in the battle every week, especially if (and I’m not saying certainly) some of our senior players have seen the WCC win as their crowning achievement, and have come back without the same desire and motivation which has carried us at times.

Wow. Dunno what else to say.
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

In The West Stand

To what? KC making 4 semi finals? Woolf might have been involved and or had an impact on the WCC? Or that some of the players may not have the same motivation as previous seasons given they could see this as the pinnacle? I don’t think any of them are particularly outrageous statements?

What’s the issue? Seems a very reasonable post to me

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by jefmeister2004 View Post
    Yeah, summer rugby much better. The worst times i can recall were 79-83, real barren - cant recall any quarter final never mind any semis ... only plus was seeing pies go down

Sorry to be pedantic but we actually reached 2 x Challenge Cup semi finals during that period....against Wakefield in 1979 and then Hull KR in 1981......I was at both. The 79 semi was a classic. We thought we'd won it with a late Les Jones try in the corner only for Wakefield to snatch it back again. I was heartbroken !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgiexW-423E

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Late 70's and Early 80's was pretty grim from a success view but I was a youngster then and to be honest had a unbelievably great time watching us home and away... Back in the days when we took one coach away that wasn't always full!
    Forged friendships for life though as documented in Mike Critchley's book Patience of a Saint
    That's why those of us that lived through that are a tad more reflective than reactive through these little bumps in the road.
    We are still the best team in the competition just not showing it at this moment in time and there are mitigating reasons to those with common sense.

Wellens deserves all the time in the world.

We will all know when his time is up and it is nowhere near that stage yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

It was the hope that killed me Pasty.
    Yes, fatal mistake. I’m confident we won’t win a game this year… apart from Penrith away… and Cas but Cornwall would beat Cas. Stay strong my friend.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Late 70's and Early 80's was pretty grim from a success view but I was a youngster then and to be honest had a unbelievably great time watching us home and away... Back in the days when we took one coach away that wasn't always full!
    Forged friendships for life though as documented in Mike Critchley's book Patience of a Saint
    That's why those of us that lived through that are a tad more reflective than reactive through these little bumps in the road.
    We are still the best team in the competition just not showing it at this moment in time and there are mitigating reasons to those with common sense.
    Yes it was a great time. I went all through that period with my parents and my wife as well. We lost a lot of games but it was good. This team we’ve got now is not half bad in comparison. Welsby shows a bit of promise and I quite like that Roby fella, he could do well if knuckles down.

[QUOTE=The Surveyor;866714]against Wakefield in 1979 and then Hull KR in 1981......I was at both. The 79 semi was a classic.

Apologies for carrying on off topic btw

Delighted to be pulled up on that knew I should have actually checked, i remember the wakey game now but had it a cpl of rounds earlier (thinking it was Leeds away mentally, les jones in the corner kerfuffle n 78 !)- many thanks for the vid, abs superb to watch Les Jones again and what a super crowd, compared to the dire 4-5k we used to get ! The 81 sf though i have no memory at all.

Win or lose though, we still went, moaned a bit, but still believed we were always the best team ... great times , just hoping n waiting for that final piece or two in the jigsaw to kick start us ... that never came fir a few years

Last edited by jefmeister2004; 12th March 2023 at 04:38.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post

I was thinking along the same lines.
    If you look at our performances, Herculean effort to win the WCC, but in the league, we’ve beaten one of two teams currently below us in the league and we’ve lost 12 point advantages to the teams in 6th and 7th place.
    We haven’t played anyone yet that are showing good form.
    Wello has the extremely difficult job of trying to turn this around whilst still having to play every week, whereas when Woolf went through the slump at the start of his tenure, he had the “luxury” of the covid lockdown to identify what was going wrong and put plans in place to rectify it.
    I think that the yardstick will be next Friday with Hull at home. A team that like us that have lost their last two, but by pretty big margins.
    I’m sure that Wello can get us through this, but we’ve got to cut out the stupid penalties and yellow cards pretty quickly or it’s going to be a very long season.

These players are too good and have achieved too much for us to suddenly become a bad team

Once we get everyone back on the field we’ll start racking up the wins

The only grumble we can have is that left wing position, most people said going into the season without resolving that was a problem and it will rumble on, leaving Wellens open for criticism for criticism