Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Cunningham MK2

Embarrassing from some of our fans this

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by V_v_V View Post
    Harsh... he's under pressure but not of his own making. No duff signings, no alienating the fans, no young players thrown under the bus, no favouritism, I could go on. He's Wello Mk1. It'll come good once the lads have re-acclimatised to SL and once Wello gets his SL coaching nous aligned with the refs. Have faith.
    Dead right, the Thread Title is a disgrace.

Noooobie

I must say I am sad to see some of the negative posts on here!

I am 65 yrs old and been watching OUR team some 60yrs.... In that time I have seen some amazing players, witnessed some of the most fantastic moments OUR team have given US.
    I have also witnessed some our not so amazing times.

BUT, I am a fan and supporter of this great club! Proud to be a SAINTS supporter through good and bad times! I have paid for my seat and at times felt robbed as I paid for the whole seat and yet the exciting brand of rugby I get to watch often only lets me sit on the edge of the seat! LOL

We do not become a bad team overnight, so lets please try to get behind our team, our coach and show that we appreciate the efforts they have shown this season. Lets not underestimate the demands the WCC has put on this group of players.

So have faith and belief in OUR team, we will recover from this and become stronger! We will be the team everyone fears at the business end of the season. so remember .......

NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS!

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Didn't Rommell start the Woolf out thread after we lost a few in 2020? The rest as they is history.

We're having a WCC hangover. Energy levels are lower, we peaked for that WCC game and now our form has dipped as we recover. We need to get a few bodies back from injury and suspension and get back to basics. Start defending better and stop falling off tackles, improve the discipline and stop giving the opposition a leg up. These things are all controllable and once we start to recover we'll pick up the points again. You dont win anything in March. Big game next week and a chance to turn it around.
    I think the Woolfy OUT! Thread was 2021 about a month before we won the Challenge Cup and 4 months before we won a 3rd GF in a row

We’d just been beat by Warrington and sat at 7 wins 2 losses - crisis form!

You’re right about the originator though

Got A Season Ticket

Disappointed by some on here’s reaction to this and the thread title is nothing short of a disgrace. Cunningham didn’t succeed as a coach but to use his name in such a derogatory way belittles all the fantastic things he did for our club during his playing career.

Recovering body and mind after a three week trip to Australia would take most of us a number of weeks to recover from - throw in the most intense game you’ve ever played in, a 54 hour return journey and straight back to the pressure of playing as favourites in every game you play with opposition raising their game to play the world club champions, and there’s bound to be some fall out. To react as some have done is quite embarrassing and somewhat disingenuous.

Last night was, for the first half, acceptable; not outstanding, not bad but ok. Second half we just switched off, we were ill disciplined and the kicking game was definitely sub-standard. I’m not too concerned, the players and coaches know how to fix it. They’ll turn it round and if they don’t, they’ll still have my support because I’m not fickle or a glory hunter.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    Nah keep it open. Its the type of thread that could expose alot of people as we go further into the season.

Look at our results from 2020 in and around the WCC game and you'll see a similar pattern. Covid saved us then but unfortunately we don't have that luxury this time, so we're going to have to play our way out of this.
    Genuine question; do you think the results would have been the same if we hadn’t had the enforced break? I recall a lot of us were very concerned about playing Leeds the week after losing to Castleford as they had a decent start to the season. It seems like twice we have sacrificed our off season for the WCC and lost to Roosters and beat Panthers. The problem is in 2020 we got lucky and got another shot at an off-season. Not so this time.

And whilst I accept that the WCC has been a huge drain on the club, and I don’t doubt that we will get better. I’m just not convinced we will get that much better. The same flaws are there from last year in the clunky attack and less than desirable discipline, but we’ve added in fragile defence and more teams are learning to counter our defensive style even if it were running on full gas. The reality is had Castleford not been utterly terrible bombing 6 clear opportunities, we would be sitting on 0 from 3 right now.

The most disappointing thing about last night is how predictable it was. I text my family “here we go again” when Leigh ran in their first try and so it proved to be. The last 20 minutes used to be our strong point yet twice we’ve blown 12 point leads now.

It’s a huge test already for Wellens. Plenty of fans from other clubs (and some of our own as we tend to be quite a pessimistic bunch) will push the Cunningham narrative as they long for our downfall. But he also needs to give his defenders something to point to. For all Woolfs criticisers over the years, no one could ever deny he knew how to set a team up to defend. Currently no one can say that about Wellens team.

Might sound ridiculous but I said before last nights game that I would have rested almost the whole squad and just played a young team for the experience - like we did at Castleford last year

I realise that sounds crazy as we’re only 3 games into the season but I think we just need to rest and regroup

Playing games with missing players and constantly down to 12 or even 11 men isn’t going to help either, we need to sort that. Clearly in the refs meetings they talk about St Helens as a team they need to be strict with as we barely play a game with 13 on the pitch these days

Noooobie

Let's forget any excuses with respect to a hangover from the WCC. We are talking of professional sportsmen here who should be mentally stronger than they are currently showing. Surely they should have recovered physically by now. The players need to park their wonderful achievement and move on as professionals to the next stage which means giving the SL 100% effort.
    Ridiculous to be passing judgment on Wellens at this stage. We should be judging some of our players for their horrible, unprofessional indiscipline (not seen the Lees incident but the incidents involving Hurrell, Sironen and Matautia were pathetic).
    If we want to judge Wellens, we should see if he sorts out the current indiscipline problems, which have almost certainly caused us to lose 2 games. If Wellens doesn't do this, then we REALLY have a problem with the coaching set-up moving forward.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Genuine question; do you think the results would have been the same if we hadn’t had the enforced break?
    We'll never know, probably not in the short term but I'm sure we'd have turned it around eventually as Woolf is a good coach. The post covid season was also shorter so we didn't have as long to turn it around as the number of games was cut, so we had smaller room for error in that post covid period of 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle
    And whilst I accept that the WCC has been a huge drain on the club, and I don’t doubt that we will get better. I’m just not convinced we will get that much better. The same flaws are there from last year in the clunky attack and less than desirable discipline, but we’ve added in fragile defence and more teams are learning to counter our defensive style even if it were running on full gas. The reality is had Castleford not been utterly terrible bombing 6 clear opportunities, we would be sitting on 0 from 3 right now.
    You don't think we'll get that much better? Really? Our peak level was the Penrith game and that is night and day from what we're seeing at the moment. If we hadn't put in that level of performance then I'd be worried. If we hadn't been so good last year I'd be worried, but this team is capable of alot more than what they're showing at the moment. We were missing our whole back row and 1 of our big metre makers last night. Our own stupidity cost us against Leeds and appeared to change the game last night. These are fixable issues.

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle
    It’s a huge test already for Wellens. Plenty of fans from other clubs (and some of our own as we tend to be quite a pessimistic bunch) will push the Cunningham narrative as they long for our downfall. But he also needs to give his defenders something to point to. For all Woolfs criticisers over the years, no one could ever deny he knew how to set a team up to defend. Currently no one can say that about Wellens team.
    It is a test for Wellens and we will see if he can turn it around or not. I have faith he and the players can. To say we don't know if Wellens can setup a team is crazy. It's like the WCC game didn't happen, but I'm pretty sure he set us up pretty well there and there weren't too many complaints after the St George or Cas games either, despite us not being at our best in either. The difference now is we've lost two so the flaws stand out more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket

Default Cunningham MK2

A thread like this is good once In a while. Brings out the whoppers with bad takes which means I can scroll past their future posts on other topics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fizzy rascal; 11th March 2023 at 11:10.

Got A Season Ticket

Im wondering...and im not overreacting here but how much input did Woolf have in the WCC match because at present we are chalk and cheese as a team.

Got A Replica Shirt

Good grief.

Admin, can you look at an opt out button (like the gambling websites have) so people who can't control themselves after a few shandies on a Friday night don't embarrass the forum and their families? Thanks.

Appreciate that everyone is emotional after a game, especially a defeat, but show a bit of restraint! Always best to wait until you've calmed down and preferably watched the game back if you're going to be controversial...

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default Cunningham MK2

Quote Originally Posted by JPA1975 View Post
    welsby dodd morgan sod off pretending you are nrl material utter rubbish nonsense all this wcc crap pathetic players for me picking and choosing when they play insulting fans ive had enough
    ‘Had enough’ after 2 losses following 4 championships and a WCC win? What a ridiculous excuse for a ‘fan’ you are. If you’ve had enough then you’re welcome to sod off yourself.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Please don't turn this board into rlfans where its just negative morons posting none stop
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Learning All The Songs

A thread like the is an absolute embarrassment, some people need to have a look at themselves. We are 3 games in to a Super League season after having our preseason containing the biggest game in our history, with a coach taking on his first appointment, how many on here were calling for Woolf’s head after the Castleford game just before lockdown, look what happened because we stuck with him.

We are the World Champions, that paints a massive target on our back, every team is going to lift themselves more than ever against us, we will improve no doubt. Its telling the 2 teams that played in the WCC haven’t started that well, its took an awful lot out of both clubs.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Couple of positives to take from threads like this.
    1. More than happy being the underdog for once
    2. Maybe this bad run will rid our support of the cockroaches who have appeared in the stands directly off the back of our success.
    As some other posters have said, I’ve supported this club long enough to see seasons pass by with dismal performances and lack of silverware. Win, lose, draw. I’ll take my seat next Friday. COYS

Noooobie

Bitterly disappointed last night, but look at the success we've had in the last few years. I am looking forward to challenging for a 5th title, and I believe we will be, but last night still hurt. However, just think what it must be like to be a Wakey fan right now, or what it must have been like for the Wire supporters last year. We support the greatest club team in the world; give Paul a chance to settle things and stop the team giving away stupid penalties resulting in red and yellow cards. I believe we can look forward to another successful season. Patience is necessary and I'm sure Mr McManus will be smiling with us come October.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    A thread like the is an absolute embarrassment, some people need to have a look at themselves. We are 3 games in to a Super League season after having our preseason containing the biggest game in our history, with a coach taking on his first appointment, how many on here were calling for Woolf’s head after the Castleford game just before lockdown, look what happened because we stuck with him.

We are the World Champions, that paints a massive target on our back, every team is going to lift themselves more than ever against us, we will improve no doubt. Its telling the 2 teams that played in the WCC haven’t started that well, its took an awful lot out of both clubs.
    Post of the day,couldn't agree more.

In The South Stand

Default Cunningham MK2

We’ve blown two consecutive games from 12 points up, in both of which we’ve decided to make life hard for ourselves by playing with fewer players than the opposition.

I still think the decision to play a first team again Cas was a total nonsense.

As for the OP, what a muppet. Woolf sides would never lose to newly promoted teams would they, they’d swat aside the likes of London and Toulouse . . . .

In The South Stand

Unfrotunately I'm not surprised by the reaction of some "fans". Wello won us the WCC, in Australia! We've lost to a dodgy result to Leeds (playing for over twenty minutes with 12 men) and yet again yesterday we had Lees sin binned. I watched the two televised games on Thursday and Friday and there were plenty of highsots that went unpunished, never mind sin bins! I really do feel there's an extra effort to stop saints winning five in a row. Would IMG want a comp where the outcome is predictable and the same team sweeps the board over and over? That aside, look at the start Woolfie (not the Wire mascot!) had at Saints, how it started and how it ended! To liken Wello to KC is well out of order. Great player though KC was, as a coach he insulted the fans, took no advice, made appalling signings and had us playing the worst rugby I can remember from a Saints team. He wasn't succesful in any shape or form. Totally out of his depth. Wello has been understudy to a great coach and has already won history making silverware, give the guy a break!

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

He certainly seems to have challenge on his hands.

When you get a dip in confidence or loss in form you need an easy game to get back to pace but other than a possible soft cup tie there's no east games.

Although Saints have been dominant its fine margins that make the difference like the extra effort from Knowles with the try saving tackle at home yo Salford last year and similarly Makinson against Wire at the HJ.

I do wonder if the trip to Australia and the press talk of players possibly moving on has caused some upset in the camp
    Players should be professional enough for it not to matter but it can take the edge off the team spirit.

It was interesting that last year when we had a player in sin bin or sent off we coped well either it, we beat Huddersfield with 12 men for most of the game

This year we don't seem to cope as well, whether it's poof tactics or poor effort I don't know.

Next few weeks will be interesting

It's

Learning All The Songs

welsby dodd morgan sod off pretending you are nrl material utter rubbish nonsense all this wcc crap pathetic players for me picking and choosing when they play insulting fans ive had enough
    •••• off then, you won't be missed.

In The South Stand

Default Cunningham MK2

Four on the bounce, world club champions.

“I’ve had enough”

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Pathetic trolling, sod off then pretending to be a saints fan with all this spouting off of utter rubbish.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Ive seen saints win everything in my time supporting them. The game against Penrith was the cherry on top. I don’t feel like they owe me anything. I said in the off season that I expected very little in 2023. That’s not to say they can’t win it again. This team can finish 5th and win it from there if they get their heads on. I’m sure they will fix up whatever’s been going wrong in recent weeks.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies