Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unusual this?

Starting A Programme Collection Mr.Yat's Avatar

Default Unusual this?

In The South Stand

Yes, very odd. I presme they've pulled the game from Sky as they aren't confident the game will go ahead because of the pitch. It's been inspected and passed twice now, not sure what the continuing scrutiny is about.

Starting A Programme Collection

unusual? its an absolute disgrace.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Both teams that have played there this season have complained about the pitch state, even though the second one went ahead after the RFL said it was OK. Maybe the disciplinary did the inspection?

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

There was a couple of articles about the pitch not having enough grass on the plastic underlay ans wouldn't be ready until April, it would make common sense to not play on it unti it has the right density.

We know quite a lot of Catalan players had cuts and grazes with a few infected and on anti biotics, there were 1 or 2 players from another team think it was Huddersfield Giants. If there are a couple of bare patches I wondere if its dangerous having a long stud caught in the plastic underlay.

Got A Season Ticket

The irony is in the name of the stadium!

Learning All The Songs

Can we just get rid of them, that club offers absolutely nothing.

In The South Stand

Surely if the club cannot provide a safe environment for players to play then they should forfeit their home games? Player welfare? At the very least games should be played at a suitable venue where players can concentrate on playing the game instead of not getting injured. An absolute disgrace to the game. I think their CEO is standing down at the end of the season.

In The South Stand

Been told Wakefield are exploring all options to them including the viability of groundsharing if the pitch doesn’t take how it should, which it hasn’t so far.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Prez View Post
    Surely if the club cannot provide a safe environment for players to play then they should forfeit their home games? Player welfare? At the very least games should be played at a suitable venue where players can concentrate on playing the game instead of not getting injured. An absolute disgrace to the game. I think their CEO is standing down at the end of the season.
    I think that for the last game they were moving it to Fev or Dewsbury if it failed the inspection. A bit ridiculous that teams have to keep waiting for an inspection. They should tell that their games are moved for a month at a time then teams and fans know where they are going.

Got A Season Ticket

I've got some of this they can try. Didn't work for me

I look forward to Ghost of 99 coming back telling us what an amazing job Michael Carter has done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Can we just get rid of them, that club offers absolutely nothing.
    Just read about Wakey Chairman saying that they were told if they don’t improve their facilities they are out of SL. A bit late.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Just read about Wakey Chairman saying that they were told if they don’t improve their facilities they are out of SL. A bit late.
    When was that interview? 1996?!
    Can't stop the spirits when they need you.

This life is more than just a read through.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Yesterday.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post

They'll still be saying it in 2096.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Penrith Plonker View Post
    They have to be fair, there's a roof of sorts on the away end and aren't they doing something with their main stand? It does seem a bit daft replacing grass with astro turf like they had on reccy park during the 90's.
    Interesting isn’t it that as soon as they start spending money on their ground, there is no money to keep their bang average players and relegation is a real threat.

In The South Stand

Hasn't that always been the case? They've always had a fair turnover of players and always been near the bottom of league as far as I remember. They've had a few decent results along the way usually against us or Wigan but I don't remember them ever making the play offs - I'll stand corrected if they have.
    They have been in the playoffs a few times and once finished as high as 5th in the league.

In The South Stand

Fair enough. I don't think there's many who'd miss them.
    Agreed, they should of been removed years ago. Most other teams modernised but they never did.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

After a few years of just wanting them to be relegated, I'm now feeling sorry for them.

They're a small club that's had years now of SL money and exposure, but never built their fanbase (apart from 2 years - 2012 & 2013 when they embarked on a programme of cut-price ticketing to boost interest, bringing in an ave 3k more fans... who promptly melted totally away when the discounts ended).

But there's a fanbase that's stayed loyal (even if that's just 4.5k - 5k) and they've got a lot to contend with.

On the other hand, Wakefield is a city with a population of over 100k (350k in the wider Wakefield Metropolitan Borough) with no other professional sports side in the borough (Leeds the nearest, which is about as close as St Helens is to Liverpool) so should really do far better.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Got A Season Ticket

I've been thinking about how to turn this negative into a positive and the idea of having a "Heritage" ground kept in SL, by that I mean a traditional stadium that keeps as much of its originality as possible. Who else misses the atmosphere of these cramped, old, brick built "stadiums" where you're so close to the pitch that you really feel a part of the action? I miss Knowsley Road for that reason. If they can keep to modern safety standards and stay financially viable, wouldn't it work? Wakefield, or Cas for that matter, don't get huge crowds anyway, but they may have to reduce the capacity to comply with safety standards (e.g. more entrance and exits, wider walkways, more toilets). That in itself would make a full house safer and more enjoyable as there would then be enough room and facilities to accommodate everyone. I know it looks like Wakey will be in the Championship next year but that still leaves Cas. It also leaves the question of who pays? Well, they'll have to pay for improvements anyway but if the RFL went for this, the cost would be reduced and SL would have a nice little chunk of its history preserved. Note to RFL: If you want to hire me as chief of ideas, I'm available

Quote Originally Posted by V_v_V View Post
    I've been thinking about how to turn this negative into a positive and the idea of having a "Heritage" ground kept in SL, by that I mean a traditional stadium that keeps as much of its originality as possible. Who else misses the atmosphere of these cramped, old, brick built "stadiums" where you're so close to the pitch that you really feel a part of the action? I miss Knowsley Road for that reason. If they can keep to modern safety standards and stay financially viable, wouldn't it work? Wakefield, or Cas for that matter, don't get huge crowds anyway, but they may have to reduce the capacity to comply with safety standards (e.g. more entrance and exits, wider walkways, more toilets). That in itself would make a full house safer and more enjoyable as there would then be enough room and facilities to accommodate everyone. I know it looks like Wakey will be in the Championship next year but that still leaves Cas. It also leaves the question of who pays? Well, they'll have to pay for improvements anyway but if the RFL went for this, the cost would be reduced and SL would have a nice little chunk of its history preserved. Note to RFL: If you want to hire me as chief of ideas, I'm available
    I think that the atmosphere was much better in the old type stadiums. I remember taking a Kiwi mate to his first RL game at KR, he couldn’t believe we could hear the hits from where we were stood. Nowadays I think fans want at least a roof over their heads and decent toilets and bar. I know we stand in the open at Leeds which alway annoys me when it’s raining, but I love the atmosphere there and we are not there every week. It’s more the likes of Wakey fans that suffer those facilities every home game.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    After a few years of just wanting them to be relegated, I'm now feeling sorry for them.

They're a small club that's had years now of SL money and exposure, but never built their fanbase (apart from 2 years - 2012 & 2013 when they embarked on a programme of cut-price ticketing to boost interest, bringing in an ave 3k more fans... who promptly melted totally away when the discounts ended).

But there's a fanbase that's stayed loyal (even if that's just 4.5k - 5k) and they've got a lot to contend with.

On the other hand, Wakefield is a city with a population of over 100k (350k in the wider Wakefield Metropolitan Borough) with no other professional sports side in the borough (Leeds the nearest, which is about as close as St Helens is to Liverpool) so should really do far better.
    exactly, they are one of the only club based in a city, with no other competition for attention. They have a huge target market to aim at - they should be one of the biggest clubs in Super League.

But realistically, other than a die hard traditional fan, who would choose to spend their leisure time in that victorian dump of a "stadium". Even if they were winning every week, they wouldn't get any more fans because its the 21st century and people don't want to spend their weekends getting soaked, peeing against a wall into an open sewer, having to climb down overgrown and dark back alleys to get to the stadium and having to stand on decades old collapsing concrete.

I don't agree with much of what Maurice Lindsay stood for, but he was on the right track with the merger there in 1995. A combined club playing in a modern stadium would be a powerhouse in the game.

Learning All The Songs

Imagine supporting a team all your life and being told your merging with your nearest rivals, no thanks I’d never go to a game again

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Castleford and Wakey are ran under the same council, so hardly a one team city - it's population is smaller than St Helens (the City is anyway)

You're right though, the small time thinking of clubs around West Yorkshire holds the game back.. they seem to believe that being a team with good facilities making a profit and being a 'traditional heartland' are mutually exclusive..

I've read today that some of the clubs are complaining that LED floodlights shouldn't be the criteria, again having no understanding of the modern sporting world