Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Redvee TV meets Derek Beaumont

Redvee Founder & Editor in Chief,
    Fundraiser & Flagbearer,
    Facebooker & Tweeter,
    and Media Whore. Call me.

Default Redvee TV meets Derek Beaumont

TV meets @LeighLeopardsRL’ @derek_beaumont

We caught up with Derek to discuss Saints World Club win, Leigh’s return to the top tier, what Saints fans can expect on Friday’s visit, the Leopard rebrand and Leigh’s hope for the year!

https://youtu.be/GCq43IdqE0k

@RedveeDotNet

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
    TV meets @LeighLeopardsRL’ @derek_beaumont

We caught up with Derek to discuss Saints World Club win, Leigh’s return to the top tier, what Saints fans can expect on Friday’s visit, the Leopard rebrand and Leigh’s hope for the year!

https://youtu.be/GCq43IdqE0k
    A good change from the usual, not sure why he sometimes gets so much stick on here. His personality, enthusiasm and commitment to the club makes me really hope that Leigh do Ok this year. He comes across as the type of guy I would like to have a beer with. His talk of now building up the juniors and ladies are all positives. He seems to have put more thought into the club development this past two years than we have ever seen from the likes of Wakey.

In The South Stand

The guy comes across as an embarassingly unprofessional lunatic to be honest. But he's also the kind of enthusiastic and energised person the sport needs if it's ever going to break out of it's malaise of irrelevancy. Leigh could have come up, been pragmatic and looked for sustainability and they'd have likely gone down. Instead he's thrown it all at the wall and on early season performances they seem likely to stay up to me. Whether it's in any way sustainable is another question, but I guess we'll find out as they've had several episodes of not being able to pay their players before. The guy is crazy, but I feel if the owners of every professional rugby league club in England had his enthusiasm and proactiveness, the sport would be doing far better than it is now. Good on him, hopefully Leigh stay up and relegate one of the awful West Yorkshire sides.

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Good watch was that, and I'm not biased......honest

In The South Stand

I’m not a fan and would not be happy if he was anything to do with us whatsoever. It’s all well and good saying how great he is because he’s throwing money around but he did the same in 2017 and then once they went down to the Championship and struggled there, the club’s existence was in threat and I would fear that he may do the same if they’re relegated this year.

The rebrand was farcical too. I’ve no issues with wanting to build a brand and grow but the justification and implementation was absolutely comical, at best. The loss of the club’s traditional colours, justifying it because he likes leopards, some of the advertising and marketing that’s been released hasn’t been worthy of GCSE level, the lack of working with fans and fan groups regarding the rebrand, the badge and the whole Twitter episodes from Beaumont claiming that people are giving them exposure by pointing out the basic errors on show. It’s all amateurish and embarrassing, really. It could and should have been done far more professionally and without a grown man in his 50’s wearing leopard print suits claiming he’s “got another one” when someone points out the obvious to him. That’s not good for the game. It’s pretty small time and the fact people weren’t convinced this was legit for such a long period shows how badly it was rolled out.

Characters aren’t a bad thing but when the character, who has a history of irrational and erratic behaviour, has a say in running your club, it wouldn’t sit comfortably with me.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I’m not a fan and would not be happy if he was anything to do with us whatsoever. It’s all well and good saying how great he is because he’s throwing money around but he did the same in 2017 and then once they went down to the Championship and struggled there, the club’s existence was in threat and I would fear that he may do the same if they’re relegated this year.

The rebrand was farcical too. I’ve no issues with wanting to build a brand and grow but the justification and implementation was absolutely comical, at best. The loss of the club’s traditional colours, justifying it because he likes leopards, some of the advertising and marketing that’s been released hasn’t been worthy of GCSE level, the lack of working with fans and fan groups regarding the rebrand, the badge and the whole Twitter episodes from Beaumont claiming that people are giving them exposure by pointing out the basic errors on show. It’s all amateurish and embarrassing, really. It could and should have been done far more professionally and without a grown man in his 50’s wearing leopard print suits claiming he’s “got another one” when someone points out the obvious to him. That’s not good for the game. It’s pretty small time and the fact people weren’t convinced this was legit for such a long period shows how badly it was rolled out.

Characters aren’t a bad thing but when the character, who has a history of irrational and erratic behaviour, has a say in running your club, it wouldn’t sit comfortably with me.
    That said they have been in the lowers leagues for much of the last 3 decades and went straight back down when they did eventually make promotion.

The crowds last time around were not great either.

You could say what did he have to lose with the re brand, etc?

The opening crowd against Salford was promising.They had a good win last weekend and looking at ticket sales could be well on the way to a full house against Saints this Friday - and we may be vulnerable with a good part of the cap out for this one.

I understand the points you are making but what was to be gained from the status quo?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    That said they have been in the lowers leagues for much of the last 3 decades and went straight back down when they did eventually make promotion.

The crowds last time around were not great either.

You could say what did he have to lose with the re brand, etc?

The opening crowd against Salford was promising.They had a good win last weekend and looking at ticket sales could be well on the way to a full house against Saints this Friday - and we may be vulnerable with a good part of the cap out for this one.

I understand the points you are making but what was to be gained from the status quo?
    Nobody says he has to comply with the status quo.

That said, as much as it sounds dramatic, survival this year in Super League could be vital to the long-term future of Leigh given his past behaviours. As a fan, I wouldn’t be too keen on such risks, though I can understand why such risks have been taken this year of all years. Saints’ existence being threatened wouldn’t sit right with me, whether the owner was throwing cash around ot not.

The rebrand could have just been executed so much better. Consultation with fan groups at Leigh, using a competent firm to implement it that didn’t look like some poor 12 year-old’s homework, Beaumont not acting how he does on social media, something behind it that isn’t just Derek likes leopards, not using a picture of a jaguar on the shirt. All of that, many of which isn’t exactly big asks, would have improved the rebrand infinitely.

He strikes me as an autocratic kind of guy. I'm not sure fan consultation will be in his locker.

So you are not against the re brand as such jus the manner in which he went about it? My point was that carrying on as they were was probably going to end up in the same result.

I'm not a fan of dodgy suffixes full stop and glad we dont have one. Just us an Hull FC I think ( they did hve one for a spell)

I really enjoyed that. He is as mad as a box of frogs, but I admire his persistence, his investment and his desire to innovate. What was he meant to do when he got to Superleague? Simply invest in players, be happy with 6K crowds and cross his fingers that they would scrape a few results and stay up? The leopard print isn't for me but as Saddened said, his enthusiasm, love for the game and the desire to get better is to be admired. I too hope he does okay and we get rid of one of the dreary west Yorkshire clubs - pick any of Cas, Wakey or Hudds.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    He strikes me as an autocratic kind of guy. I'm not sure fan consultation will be in his locker.

So you are not against the re brand as such jus the manner in which he went about it? My point was that carrying on as they were was probably going to end up in the same result.

I'm not a fan of dodgy suffixes full stop and glad we dont have one. Just us an Hull FC I think ( they did hve one for a spell)
    I wouldn’t have been against changing from the Centurions to Leopards if it was my daub. It was largely the way he went about it with disregard for the traditional club colours and lack of fans consultation plus the way it was implemented as the badge looks horrendous and amateurish and the branding and advertising since has been comically bad.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

He comes across fairly well in the interview I've got to say and I've got give him his due, he is trying hard to make it work. Leigh isn't a big area but he's managed to get a new stadium for them, he's investing heavily on the pitch and off the pitch he is trying to make match days an all round entertainment package and experience for everyone who attends. Sure he will be mocked for some of the things he tries - some of it is corny / cringy, some of it is good, but at least he's trying, which is more that can be said for some clubs. Proof will be in the pudding with results at the end of the year and whether crowds have increased as a result.

He does comes across as unprofessional on twitter sometimes though. I don't like chairman /CEOs being on social media as you can come across an idiot (especially as his spelling and grammar isnt the best) and engaging with fans giving you abuse is just a no no. I'd save the fan engagement and marketing to the marketing team, it is what they get paid for after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Got A Season Ticket Budgiezilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I wouldn’t have been against changing from the Centurions to Leopards if it was my daub. It was largely the way he went about it with disregard for the traditional club colours and lack of fans consultation plus the way it was implemented as the badge looks horrendous and amateurish and the branding and advertising since has been comically bad.
    I agree with all of that, but since Arthur Thomas sadly passed away only Mr Beaumont has put his money where his large mouth is. If he wasn't our owner we would hoping for some kind of consortium I guess.

Noooobie

Puts his money in the game. Got to admire him for that.

In The South Stand Saint_Claire's Avatar

I really enjoyed that interview and he came across really well. Can't believe he's come out with that tweet though to the SPF. Surely he must actually know who he is? Bit bizarre.