Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Leigh

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    Often it's not the pitch that's the problem,it's the approaches to the stadium. Unless there a blizzard and then freezing conditions I don't think it will be an issue
    Unless the forecast changes we should be fine. It's not supposed to go below freezing around here is it? Sleet and snow, but not sticking as it's too warm and up over 4 degrees and warming over the weekend. At kick off time it's meant to be 0 degrees but with no rain or snow, having been sunny and 4 degrees during the afternoon, so hopefully it'll be fine.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Given the players we have missing, I think Wello will go for experience so can't see the likes of Bruines or Ritson playing.

Davies in for Hurrell in the backs the only change. Back row will probably be Bell, LMS / Wingfield and Knowles. Paasi coming back gives us the opportunity to move LMS into the back row so I suspect thats what he'll do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    For once this is going to be really hard to predict. Several different combinations possible in the back row and a couple at centre too.

I am going to have a stab at the following but I don’t have much confidence it will be spot on:

Welsby
    Makinson
    Davies
    Percival
    Bennison
    Lomax
    Dodd
    Walmsley
    Roby
    Lees
    Knowles
    Bell
    Wingfield

Lussick
    Royle
    LMS
    Paasi
    Not sure I agree it's hard to predict - I am very confident we will line up as you suggest above except maybe Norman for Royle.

In The South Stand

That would be my personal preference to be honest. I've gone for what I think Wellens will do.
    I am struggling to see how playing Makinson centre to accomodate Ritson could be any sane person's preference!!

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    I am struggling to see how playing Makinson centre to accomodate Ritson could be any sane person's preference!!
    Depends on which partnership you think is better, Davies and Makinson or Makinson and Ritson. Tommy has played at centre before with Swift outside him so its not like its an idea out of left field.

Learning All The Songs

You may have a point. I want to see Ritson get a run and Makinson could move to centre next year. Ritson looks like an old fashioned winger who loves the touchline and as Makinson loses speed he could have a few more years as a centre. My sanity has been in question for decades so you could be on it diagnostically speaking.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Haha I just don't rate Davies that's all mate. He's a steady plodder (don't mean that disrespectfully) but that's all he is for me.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

Haha I just don't rate Davies that's all mate. He's a steady plodder (don't mean that disrespectfully) but that's all he is for me.
    I don't rate him either, I think his best place could be second row but he's at the end of a long line to play for us there and I don't see him ripping the turf up

In The South Stand

I get that but I think conjuring up a new pairing that involves moving our best and most effective winger to centre to play alongside someone who looks defensively frail on first impressions is just risk for the sake of risk.

Wellens will go Davies at centre I'm sure. I agree Davies has his limitations but so does Ritson right now and with the disruption on the edges due to back rowers missing I don't see how it can make any sense to disrupt it further any more than we absolutely have to.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    Tbf to Wellens he said last week it'll be Leigh or Hull if he doesn't make Leigh.

So it's not been silence on it.
    Did he mention which fixture?

I get that but I think conjuring up a new pairing that involves moving our best and most effective winger to centre to play alongside someone who looks defensively frail on first impressions is just risk for the sake of risk.

Wellens will go Davies at centre I'm sure. I agree Davies has his limitations but so does Ritson right now and with the disruption on the edges due to back rowers missing I don't see how it can make any sense to disrupt it further any more than we absolutely have to.
    Agreed. I'd be absolutely staggered if Davies doesn't play centre. I'm also not sure on Makinson at centre either, hasn't got the hands.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Can't argue with that logic. I agree Davies would be the safer (uninspiring) option
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Agreed. I'd be absolutely staggered if Davies doesn't play centre. I'm also not sure on Makinson at centre either, hasn't got the hands.
    Plus why would you move a world class winger to another position

In The South Stand

I’m not overly bothered by Hopoate anymore. It frustrated me no end last year that he’d rarely feature but given the year Hurrell had, I’ve put Hopoate down as a luxury this year, it’s nice when we do have him but not the end of the world when he’s inevitably laid up with whatever injury. I know it’s not ideal in a salary capped sport but we’re in a good spot as a club and can cope with his absences.

It would need an absolute monster of a year for me to want us to keep him on, mind. It’s possible but unlikely.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I’m not overly bothered by Hopoate anymore. It frustrated me no end last year that he’d rarely feature but given the year Hurrell had, I’ve put Hopoate down as a luxury this year, it’s nice when we do have him but not the end of the world when he’s inevitably laid up with whatever injury. I know it’s not ideal in a salary capped sport but we’re in a good spot as a club and can cope with his absences.

It would need an absolute monster of a year for me to want us to keep him on, mind. It’s possible but unlikely.
    I think I’m the same, i thought he was a good signing and have defended him a lot, he could cover anywhere in the back 5 and was a good player, but it just hasn’t worked out due to injuries, you cant have someone who plays a game and then misses 4/5 in a salary capped sport. I now expect not to see him in squads and it to be a surprise when he is.

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Makinson has played centre before and played when needed and done a good job there.
    I don't think he would get good service if Davies is at centre so his effectiveness as a winger is lost anyway..

Ritson needs to play, a player with his speed is always a threat to the opposition.

If we have Bennison on one wing and and Davies stifling Makinson of possession it wil seriously lessen our attack.

Having that I think Wellens will go for Davies St centre as safety first

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Just read an interview from a few weeks where he is talking about wanting to stay beyond this year. Hopefully the club have no sentiment when it comes to making that decision.
    What’s the betting that he is fit for the last 6-8 games this season?
    Don’t know how Wellens will select this week too many possible combinations for me to guess.

This is my frustration, a lot of posters on this forum seem to want Wello to start moving our best players out of position to get their favourite fringe players into the squad.

If Wello was doing this there would be references to the bad old days of Nathan Brown.

The sad thing is I am sure given one or two bad performances suddenly these players will be labelled as not good enough and these same posters will want to hound them out. With exception of a small number who will swear by them no matter what.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    Plus why would you move a world class winger to another position
    The world class winger who played full back in the World Cup?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    This is my frustration, a lot of posters on this forum seem to want Wello to start moving our best players out of position to get their favourite fringe players into the squad.

If Wello was doing this there would be references to the bad old days of Nathan Brown.

The sad thing is I am sure given one or two bad performances suddenly these players will be labelled as not good enough and these same posters will want to hound them out. With exception of a small number who will swear by them no matter what.
    I could agree with you Noel, but then we would both be wrong!

In The South Stand The.Reverand's Avatar

Default 21 man squad v Leigh

I've got little confidence he'll be back next week. Even if he is he either a)won't last the game or b) will then miss the next 3-4 weeks.
    If he was a hobnob you wouldn’t even get him out of the packet without crumbling, let alone get him anywhere near your brew.
    Last edited by The.Reverand; 8th March 2023 at 17:11.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

I've got little confidence he'll be back next week. Even if he is he either a)won't last the game or b) will then miss the next 3-4 weeks.
    Memories of the 'Bradley is a tampon' song
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    The world class winger who played full back in the World Cup?
    When he never started there he might of moved there temporarily in the match because of injuries

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    When he never started there he might of moved there temporarily in the match because of injuries
    He has played fullback, wing and centre. He isn't getting any younger and is bound to drop some speed, so moving him to centre next year could prolong his career, meanwhile, because of injury and suspensions he could do well at centre in a few games now. His defence there would be top notch and he could run the ball back on kick receptions. he would still present an attacking threat there. That said, I think Davies will play centre this week end so it won't be an issue, but it's fun to debate

Tommy is probably the best winger in bringing the ball out of D. I think to move him to centre to accommodate Ritson is asking for trouble.