Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nrl 2023

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

Holbrook could do with a win today.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs sinkers89's Avatar

Titans are exciting to watch because you dont know what youre going to get from one minute to the next

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers89 View Post
    Titans are exciting to watch because you dont know what youre going to get from one minute to the next
    That sounds familiar.

Upset of the year Penrith 8 West Tigers 12

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    WCC hangover!

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    Was an upset yes, but it's becoming more and more evident that Panthers aren't as formidable as they have been in the past few years. Beaten by Souths last week too and they've now lost 4 from 8.

Just been watching Dragons vs Bulldogs on catch up...

Entertaining game.

Debut off the bench for 18 year old 5/8 Karl Oloapu, Bulldogs paid a $500K transfer fee to Broncos for. Didn't look out of place.

Keep mentioning Jake Averillo's name, scored 2 length of the field tries in this one. Has real speed. Still on the off contract list for 2024 as things stand.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    Was an upset yes, but it's becoming more and more evident that Panthers aren't as formidable as they have been in the past few years. Beaten by Souths last week too and they've now lost 4 from 8.

Entertaining game.

Debut off the bench for 18 year old 5/8 Karl Oloapu, Bulldogs paid a $500K transfer fee to Broncos for. Didn't look out of place.

Keep mentioning Jake Averillo's name, scored 2 length of the field tries in this one. Has real speed. Still on the off contract list for 2024 as things stand.
    I was out in the pouring rain to see NZ Warriors lose to Roosters - a tough watch, Warriors lacked any real strike -seemed a little off their game but conditions didnt help.

My tipping struck a few bumps this week with the Panthers loss and Bulldogs win - still always next week.

Entertaining game.

If you're suggesting he would be available for Superleague, I doubt it. His performance yesterday was very impressive and I never knew he was THAT quick. Think he will get at least a couple of NRL offers but I'd definitely fancy him at Saints if there was any possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by djh1972 View Post
    If you're suggesting he would be available for Superleague, I doubt it. His performance yesterday was very impressive and I never knew he was THAT quick. Think he will get at least a couple of NRL offers but I'd definitely fancy him at Saints if there was any possibility.
    I doubt it too, unless he's not happy playing in the centres...

Averillo caught my eye last year when he took the full back spot off Dufty.

This season he's had the #1 shirt taken off him, by Hayze Perham.

Bulldogs have Stephen Crichton on the way for next year. He'll be full back or in the centres.

They have Bronson Xerri signed up too. He's a centre. If he gets back to the levels he was at before the ban, he'll be fighting for the #3 or #4 shirt as well.

Sure there'd be other NRL teams in for him to play centre or wing even, but not sure at full back.

If Saints or another SL club, offered him the chance to play in a key position for a couple years, then who knows?

He'll still only be 23 come next season.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Great run from young but some poor defending.

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Great run from young but some poor defending.
    True! And the first to be clutching at thin air was Brad Parker, who someone on here said Saints were looking to talk to.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

True! And the first to be clutching at thin air was Brad Parker, who someone on here said Saints were looking to talk to.

I don’t know about Parker, but nowadays I think that signing a winger like Young is a long way off.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Not often you see a scoreline of 74-0 in professional rugby league. 3rd biggest scoreline in Australian top flight history. Not a good day to be a Wests fan.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Not often you see a scoreline of 74-0 in professional rugby league. 3rd biggest scoreline in Australian top flight history. Not a good day to be a Wests fan.
    It was only 6 rounds ago that the Tigers beat the Cowboys 66-18!

Learning All The Songs

Batsman’s face at the press conference after 74 -0 was a classic moment

West's defence was absolutely horrific! They are a poor, poor side.

Got A Season Ticket

Nearly as good as winning 75-0

Learning All The Songs

Canterbury hammered 66-0 today by Newcastle

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Nick View Post
    I don't see the big deal with the NRL, they have some good teams and great players but there's some absolute garbage too. It's alright having all the money in the game but the product isn't all that week in week out. I'd even argue SL has been more exciting this year even with all the faults in the game over here and lack of funds.
    You're talking about the worst teams in the league. Look in England. Wakefield average under 10 points a game. Castleford under 12. That is THE two worst attacks in Super League history.

Learning All The Songs

Just finished watching the West Tigers vs Cronulla game. I'm not one who buys into the idea that the league are against certain teams, but watching this game and some of the decisions baffle me. The speed at which the last try of the game was awarded to Katoa, when it was a contentious, really gets me. Compare that to Tommy Talau's disallowed try, a full minute had passed before the bunker decided to take a look at it, and then disallow it. From that, the Sharks go up the other end and score. Instead of being 18-18, it's back to 18-12, then 24-12 within a minute. Da Silva makes an intercept and gets ankle tapped by Kennedy, fair game, then Talakai jumps on top, fair game. But then he holds him and rips the ball after the tackle had been completed, a professional foul, why does he stay on the pitch here?

But then again, Tigers are crap. No urgency in attack in the opposition 20. They were so pedestrian. I get they're got 2 half backs that are not first choice and thrown together last minute. But oh my days, they were awful in attack.

I watched the NZ Warriors hammer Cronulla today and they were just sensational in attack. Everything was done at 100 miles an hour and so much of it came off the back of a clean ruck and a quick play the ball. It got me thinking that if the Warriors tried to play like that against Wakefield in Super League there is no way we would see the same performance. It puts the refereeing in the NRL and SL into stark contrast and shows what a massive effect it can have on the quality of the game. There is a debate on here about whether the set restarts have worked or not in SL, but it has made a huge difference in the NRL where it has been implemented far more consistently. Our referees (or the authorities) have just given up on it as far as I'm concerned, and it's become a bit of a joke.

IMG are recommending all sorts to reimagine RL but I think speeding up the ruck by consistently penalising infringements would be an easy way to make our 'product' FAR more exciting and interesting and I just don't understand why it can't be done. Bite the bullet for a few weeks and give a ton of set restarts and penalties, ignore the moaning from the likes of Macnamara and it will get better.

Starting A Programme Collection Roger Moore's Avatar

See Titans lost a close one again. Getting rid of Holbrook doesn't seem to have changed much.
    Loyal and true, not a glory hunter.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Moore View Post
    See Titans lost a close one again. Getting rid of Holbrook doesn't seem to have changed much.
    Seems that Tino Fa'asuamaleaui and David Fifita have contract clauses that allows them to become free agents if Holbrook was sacked. Fa'asuamaleaui has activated his and is now testing the open market.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Seems that Tino Fa'asuamaleaui and David Fifita have contract clauses that allows them to become free agents if Holbrook was sacked. Fa'asuamaleaui has activated his and is now testing the open market.
    Maybe he'll go to Huddersfield with Justin