Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: 21 man squad v Leeds

Starting A Programme Collection Mr.Yat's Avatar

I'm actually a bit bothered whether our cards will get a fair hearing or not ... due to public bias that we're treated specially. Don't get me wrong I can understand the yellows but thought the red a bit strong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poysaint View Post
    I thought it was a try, but I'm not 100% sure of the rules regarding grounding. The VR was saying it touched his hand so he had to regain possession or something? Don't think I've heard that before. He looked to have way more downward pressure/control than half of the "fingertip" groundings we see every week
    It’s just constant inconsistency . It’s not even the one ref is different than another, you get the same ref(s) varying week to week.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I thought it was a try, but I'm not 100% sure of the rules regarding grounding. The VR was saying it touched his hand so he had to regain possession or something? Don't think I've heard that before. He looked to have way more downward pressure/control than half of the "fingertip" groundings we see every week
    The fact is that it wasn't 100% conclusive that Makinson didn't ground it by part of his arm, if that was the case Jack Smith should have given the benefit of the doubt to the on field decision of try. I think we have seen those given last season.

Starting A Programme Collection

I think we are too honest for our own good sometimes.

If Lees stays on the floor and the physio comes on after the Walters challenge, then we are pretty much certain to get the penalty, and Walters a yellow card. Likewise with the 8 point try, if Percival had stayed on the floor then it gets given.

So rather than Wello coaching them how to get away with shoulder charges, perhaps he should be coaching them to pretend to be injured.

In The South Stand

That is the rule,it's been mentioned on quite a few similar reviews. He does touch it,then it leaves his possession,then he touches it down with his forearm. He never got it back under control after the first touch.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by brook View Post
    That is the rule,it's been mentioned on quite a few similar reviews. He does touch it,then it leaves his possession,then he touches it down with his forearm. He never got it back under control after the first touch.
    Fair enough if that's the rule then. Seems a weird place to draw the line though, like if he just touched it down with no control then it's a try, but as he's touched it and then touched it down again it's not a try. Not sure why they have to overcomplicate stuff with this nonsense all the time. Should either be you need to have control when you ground the ball or you don't.

In The South Stand

Fair enough if that's the rule then. Seems a weird place to draw the line though, like if he just touched it down with no control then it's a try, but as he's touched it and then touched it down again it's not a try. Not sure why they have to overcomplicate stuff with this nonsense all the time. Should either be you need to have control when you ground the ball or you don't.
    It's the same as the knock on rule in effect. You don't regain control it's a knock on.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Don’t disagree with any of that BUT. If Welsby keeps his cool we continue that set and get a shot at a drop goal, hopefully this is a very valuable lesson learned
    The night before, petulance won an 8 point try that wasn't going to be referred to the VR...kind of proves the inconsistent point

Got A Season Ticket

It's the same as the knock on rule in effect. You don't regain control it's a knock on.
    Well, the difference being that if you patted a loose ball down against the ground and never had control of it in open play then that would be a knock on, but if you do it in the in-goal area then its a try

In The South Stand

Well, the difference being that if you patted a loose ball down against the ground and never had control of it in open play then that would be a knock on, but if you do it in the in-goal area then its a try
    But it isn't a try, that's the whole reason for this debate. That's why it got disallowed.

In The South Stand

Should we bring in a captain's challenge type system ? Both yellows came down to players mithering the ref and basically forcing him to have a look. We could also of used it for the shoulder charge incident and maybe we wouldn't of had players running in ? I thought it worked well in the games we had in Oz.

Learning All The Songs

Should we bring in a captain's challenge type system ? Both yellows came down to players mithering the ref and basically forcing him to have a look. We could also of used it for the shoulder charge incident and maybe we wouldn't of had players running in ? I thought it worked well in the games we had in Oz.
    It would be hugely beneficial if we could, but with only a handful of the games covered each week I'm not sure we could. You could say the same about video ref though so maybe there is an argument.

You can't use it fowl play it's questioning a knock on, loose carry,off side etc

Learning All The Songs

Shouldn’t have needed a captains challenge, the games stopped the video ref had ample time to review it, but didn’t. I’m not a fan of players staying down to game the system to get a favourable decision, but if Lees had done that we would most likely have got the decision in our favour. Potentially next time we play Leeds, who seem very keen to do it, we play them at their own game.

I'm a fan of the captains challenge. However you can't challenge for a decision not given.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Shouldn’t have needed a captains challenge, the games stopped the video ref had ample time to review it, but didn’t. I’m not a fan of players staying down to game the system to get a favourable decision, but if Lees had done that we would most likely have got the decision in our favour. Potentially next time we play Leeds, who seem very keen to do it, we play them at their own game.
    With you on that one,we need to stamp it out. I was just thinking though if only the captain can go the the ref and use a challenge it might stop the play acting and also stop other players running up to the ref and trying to get things looked at. It's am issue that needs sorting.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

I didn't think either Mata'utia's or Sironen's were worthy of a sinbin. Sironen especially is sliding in defence and Myler steps into the line and stops. Sironen can't just stop instantly so has no choice but to run into Myler from the side, body to body - and the impact is within a second of Myler releasing the ball.

I fully agree with hitting players hard with punishment when they could pull out of a tackle when the ball's been passed or kicked and don't. But both those incidents were a split second after the ball is passed. Ye canae change the laws of physics. Are players supposed now to not commit to tackles in case the attacker passes a split second before contact?

It's farcical. But I bet there's scores of later impacts that go totally unpunished through the season (I'm tempted to find one or two from Leeds in that game to demonstrate the double-standards of the reffing)

Myler is a cheating little turd. I don't know if Smith is coaching them to play-act to win penalties or if it's just Myler, Sezer & Austin taking it on themselves.

Leeds have become such a horrible, scummy team.

Also, about the Walters/Welsby incident, you can hear Kendall on the Sky commentary say to Lomax "we don't think it was a shoulder charge".

WTF? Fair enough miss it in the heat of the moment (although enough fans spotted it instantly). But you've got replays to look at (the same replays that led to you sinbinning our two) and you still don't think it a shoulder? Jesus wept.

Finally, no defence for Hurrell. If he'd have just held his ground and tensed, fine. But he goes up on his toes and leans in with his shoulder. Impact to the head is definitive.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    You can't use it fowl play it's questioning a knock on, loose carry,off side etc
    Could you use it for a chicken wing?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    or any poultry offences.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

2 matches each for Hurrell and Matautia and 1 for Sironen.

Really could do with Hopoate being back for weekend to cover Hurrell. Then Bell and maybe Royle/Davies starting back row. Or shift Knowles to 2nd row and Wingfield 13. Gonna be tough on Friday.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post

Really could do with Hopoate being back for weekend to cover Hurrell. Then Bell and maybe Royle/Davies starting back row. Or shift Knowles to 2nd row and Wingfield 13. Gonna be tough on Friday.
    Also hope Robes is back as well as Passi. Lussick is a poor substitute.
    Humans are more concerned with having than being.

Learning All The Songs

Has nothing been done about the shoulder charge on Matty Lees ?

Quote Originally Posted by 49er View Post
    Also hope Robes is back as well as Passi. Lussick is a poor substitute.
    Or LMS as back row if Paasi is back

It'll be Knowles, Bell and Wingfield in whichever order I'd imagine.

Royle on the bench.

Bench of LMS, Paasi, Lussick and Royle.