Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wolfs 2023

Seems like we can’t give a team credit now just because we are so good.

Warrington of last year would have capitulated at HT and lost that by a big score. Williams has continued where he left off after the WC where he was probably the best half back in the tournament and was outstanding last night

Powell has got rid of some deadwood and brought in some big bodies and big characters. Vaughan looks good and McGuire is still to come back in.

They are definitely making good progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Fridge View Post
    I think pretty much the opposite to the general consensus above. Few generous decisions but it's night and day in my opinion from last season.

I thought it would be Leeds who kick on and really push us but changed my mind now. Warrington will go very well this season. They will be our main threat I think. Could certainly see them winning the CC
    Well said, I think they will do well, but any team that goes in 14 points down at half time has some defensive weaknesses somewhere

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Well said, I think they will do well, but any team that goes in 14 points down at half time has some defensive weaknesses somewhere
    I have to agree , wire look loads better and not crumbling at the first sight of pressure was a sign that they have a bit more grit .

Some questionable decisions but nothing more than normal . I thought Salford played well and if they cut out mistakes and lack of discipline they would have undoubtedly won . A good game

Salford , Warrington , Hull KR all looking good . Wigan I’m sure will go ok It’s good for the game

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Look a better blanced team which is giving them some early season form, but still have a problem of not able to play tough for the full 80 mins. Probably you could say similar to Salford as well.

Still a big test for Powell when the injuries start to bite will they have the structure and squad depth to overcome this eventuality.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 3rd March 2023 at 10:00.

Looking forward to our tussles with them this season - should be great, competitive games. We need stronger teams this year for the good of the game as a whole. Early days though.

It's been 3 games, lets calm down a bit folks.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Pasty View Post
    Never happened to us has it ? 14 points at halftime is nothing really. It can mean everything the other team is doing is sticking,it can be pure luck,it can be the defence is having an off half,it can be all kinds of things. If they keep going down at halftime then you will have a point.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Yellow Giraffe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Seems like we can’t give a team credit now just because we are so good.

Warrington of last year would have capitulated at HT and lost that by a big score. Williams has continued where he left off after the WC where he was probably the best half back in the tournament and was outstanding last night

Powell has got rid of some deadwood and brought in some big bodies and big characters. Vaughan looks good and McGuire is still to come back in.

They are definitely making good progress

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vaughan has been outstanding so far, I'm really impressed with him.

As for Warrington as a whole I've not seen enough yet for me to consider them a threat. They'll be tough to beat when we play them though as they'll be bang up for it, but I can see them dropping points against lesser sides as they'll still be inconsistent at times too. Their outside backs aren't very impressive and don't instill much fear into me at all but their pack looks much better.
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS

Learning All The Songs

They were both definitely 8 point tries by the book, no need to pull the ref apart for them, clear foul play in the act of scoring tries.

From what I've seen of Warrington this year they're much improved but I'm not too worried about them still. They've made some experienced signings in the pack which had given them a platform and the signing of Drinkwater is really shrewd. He's took over organising and directing the side and it's allowed Williams to just play off the back of the platform his new forwards are setting. They've got some pace in Ashton on the wing but I wouldn't say their backs are much to worry about on the whole.

Early days yet but I'm confident they'll be contending this year and it'll be a good battle when we meet them.

Learning All The Songs

Watching them back now they look fair enough as eight point tries to me. As ever though we've seen plenty like that over the years not given so hopefully that's going to be a consistent interpretation this season.

Wire will go well this year. The challenge for them will probably be towards the end of the year though - fitness levels of an older pack, limited depth in the back line. Think they'd be a good bet for a Challenge Cup win and a top four finish but there are question marks over Powell's ability to get a team over the line when it counts too.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saintgeorge View Post
    Looking forward to our tussles with them this season - should be great, competitive games. We need stronger teams this year for the good of the game as a whole. Early days though.
    Think this is a key point. It's no good for the competition them finishing 2nd from bottom. They've had a massive overhaul in the squad under Powell and good luck to them.

Do think they'll be in the play offs this time around and challenging for the cup. In knockout games they'll be a threat with Williams, Dufty, Ashton, and their hooking options. Especially now they've a pack that can lay a platform for them. Thewlis looks like he could be a good player for them too.

Salford can cause all teams problems because of the way they play. One of the best sides to watch in SL.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    They were both definitely 8 point tries by the book, no need to pull the ref apart for them, clear foul play in the act of scoring tries.

From what I've seen of Warrington this year they're much improved but I'm not too worried about them still. They've made some experienced signings in the pack which had given them a platform and the signing of Drinkwater is really shrewd. He's took over organising and directing the side and it's allowed Williams to just play off the back of the platform his new forwards are setting. They've got some pace in Ashton on the wing but I wouldn't say their backs are much to worry about on the whole.

Early days yet but I'm confident they'll be contending this year and it'll be a good battle when we meet them.
    That may well be true, but if that is where the bar is now set we'll be seeing a couple a week from now on.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will doubtless be able to explain precisely what 'foul play' is under the rules, but to me it implies at least a degree of intent - which I certainly didn't see in the second incident last night nor, if I'm honest, the first.

I realise it's a fine line, but for me 8 point tries should be limited to vindictive fouls committed in 'revenge' for an opponent scoring, rather than accidental contact with a vulnerable area in a desperate last ditch attempt to save a try or because it's impossible to stop yourself from colliding with a player after they have scored, and it would be unfortunate if players were deterred from making those efforts (which might include, eg. Tommy Mak's try-saver on Yaha in the 2021 GF).

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by DewiSant View Post
    That may well be true, but if that is where the bar is now set we'll be seeing a couple a week from now on.

Someone more knowledgeable than me will doubtless be able to explain precisely what 'foul play' is under the rules, but to me it implies at least a degree of intent - which I certainly didn't see in the second incident last night nor, if I'm honest, the first.

I realise it's a fine line, but for me 8 point tries should be limited to vindictive fouls committed in 'revenge' for an opponent scoring, rather than accidental contact with a vulnerable area in a desperate last ditch attempt to save a try or because it's impossible to stop yourself from colliding with a player after they have scored, and it would be unfortunate if players were deterred from making those efforts (which might include, eg. Tommy Mak's try-saver on Yaha in the 2021 GF).
    You're right we've seen less not been given, but I don't think that's an argument to not give the ones that should be. Makinson wouldn't have been an 8 point try, because a try was never scored, it could have been a penalty try but I don't think it was. The 8 point try only comes in when a try has been scored, and in the act of scoring a defender has committed a penalty offence on the scorer.

Naiqama in the final is an example where an 8 point try should have been awarded for the knees in, no different to Dupree last night.

Quote Originally Posted by The Yellow Giraffe View Post
    Vaughan has been outstanding so far, I'm really impressed with him.
    He is your classic Warrington signing. He isn't in the NRL anymore because he can't behave himself not because he is a bad player.

Everyone (mainly Sky) are going to BS him to the moon then when he will be a silly boy again they will all looks stupid. He is a ready made excuse like Hardacker for Cas a few years back.

That being said if Wire can win something before that happens good on them. I don't think they are in our league tbh. We would have put 30 on them in the first half for that Salford match and 40 on Salford in the second half. Neither team played for 80 mins.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Some nice comments on here and they're very much appreciated as a Wire fan. Things are looking a lot more promising, especially in the prop department where we're extremely strong and this has given us a great platform.

I still think we've got a fair way to catch you guys who are undoubtedly one of the finest club RL teams to ever play as your record clearly shows. In some positions we can match you, but in the centres and second row, you guys for me are much stronger. Its a credit to your club ethos that you're able to fill every position with quality and it's a huge hats off to your tremendous youth development. We're seeing a few more come through which is encouraging, but we've a long way to go to match yourselves, Wigan and Leeds.

Really looking forward to our games when we meet. For us, there's no doubt its the game we most look forward to and it has been for years, usurping the Wigan game, though we look forward to that too.

All the best folks and cheers again for those positive comments. It's greatly appreciated from your knowledgeable fans on this forum.

Got A Season Ticket
    In the kitchen, trying to remember why I came here.

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    You're right we've seen less not been given, but I don't think that's an argument to not give the ones that should be. Makinson wouldn't have been an 8 point try, because a try was never scored, it could have been a penalty try but I don't think it was. The 8 point try only comes in when a try has been scored, and in the act of scoring a defender has committed a penalty offence on the scorer.

Naiqama in the final is an example where an 8 point try should have been awarded for the knees in, no different to Dupree last night.
    You are right of course. My point wasn't about that incident specifically, more about players being deterred from making that kind of last ditch effort, when very often they can't possibly know whether the ball will be grounded.

Personally it seemed to me the Dupree incident was accidental rather than malicious, but agree that is a judgement call

WARNING! WOLF FAN!

Quote Originally Posted by DewiSant View Post
    You are right of course. My point wasn't about that incident specifically, more about players being deterred from making that kind of last ditch effort, when very often they can't possibly know whether the ball will be grounded.

Personally it seemed to me the Dupree incident was accidental rather than malicious, but agree that is a judgement call
    I can’t see any legitimate reason for sliding in with the knees like that. It’s not as if there was any chance of him being able to stop the ball being grounded. Reminded me of Sam Tomkins version 1 at Wigan who seemed to do it all the time.
    Ps have enjoyed our first 3 games but not getting giddy just yet.