Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woolf MK2

Starting A Programme Collection

Default Woolf MK2

About time we start giving him some Credit and support …..

Just saying !

Learning All The Songs
    Stood at the back of Stand B in Knowsley Road

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side Of The Moon View Post
    About time we start giving him some Credit and support …..

Just saying !
    I was thinking more like Millward Mk 2 for being able to adapt the style of play to suit the players available.

Woolf's style was very effective but it followed a pattern. I think there was more off the cuff plays last night.

I always think with Woolf you would never have got a "Wide to West" style try but you would never have needed it

Noooobie

Nice one!

I haven't read the other (match day) thread yet but I sure all the doomers are saying Catalans will destroy us after playing a very poor Wire team, but this thread has cheered me right up.

Learning All The Songs

One swallow don't make a summer as they say.................

But what a performance with the team we had out, Was not expecting that, Credit to Woolfy Mk2 he read the Cunningham thread and upped his game.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Scouse Don's Avatar
    Blatherings on That Saints podcast.Back home in St.Helens and in the South stand for service

That was a tactical masterclass last night.
    Learned comment from The Don

Learning All The Songs

What about Wellens MK1

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    One swallow don't make a summer as they say.................

But what a performance with the team we had out, Was not expecting that, Credit to Woolfy Mk2 he read the Cunningham thread and upped his game.
    I totally agree . However a few poor performances don’t make you Cunningham either .

Was interest what Welsby was saying about the team just needed to play with freedom and enjoy it .

Highlighted that arguably and evidently that the team was suffering perhaps from a bit of fatigue and leading to perhaps the blues after such a high and lacking some enthusiasm .

We can only hope they have unlocked that trapped energy and are feeling mentally refreshed .

Last night was fantastic so fair play to all the players and coaching staff.

It also showed that the last couple of weeks have been way off it.

Last week people thought a slightly better side than that (Makinson, Percival, Wingfield) couldn't beat Hull KR because we'd been so average so far this season.

That's the benchmark now, we need to kick on. You can't always play like that, obviously, but we are still one of the best teams in the league. If not the best.

Standards should back that up.

What last night has given me was belief again.

So well done Wellens for last night, lets have some consistency in performance now.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JamesSL View Post
    Last week people thought a slightly better side than that (Makinson, Percival, Wingfield) couldn't beat Hull KR because we'd been so average so far this season.
    I think we need to give Hull KR some credit - they had a good side out and in great form.

By the same token as good as Saints were last night, Wire were absolutely terrible.

In The South Stand

I won’t get carried away after one game but I was really pleased with last night. I’m pleased Wellens had it in him to change up the attack and allow the spine to play a bit more freely. What that says about Laurent Fraysinnous though, I’m not too sure. Some coaches are stubborn and will stick to their principle but I’m glad Wellens adapted and went for it, even when down on bodies to allow that. I hope it continues moving forwards even with a tough schedule ahead.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Millward teams could never defend like that though!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Biggest positive Wello has got from that game is the emergence of Delaney as he gest more game minutes. I,m hoping in the second half of the season he is permanently in our 17 team selection.

Lees and Delaney have pretty big engines and its possible both could start and do the first 25 mins. You then bring on the impact and experience of Walmsley and Passi thats a frightening situation for the opposition.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Millward teams could never defend like that though!
    That's quite true! Defence was very impressive last night. Hopefully this is the actual start of the Wellens era. If it is Wellens is doing it against the odds in the sense that current injuries are worse than they were last year.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Yes Wellens got the team right tactically spot on last night but, more importantly, he got the team firing emotionally. All the effort was there where it just seemed to be lacking slightly in previous games.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    I won’t get carried away after one game but I was really pleased with last night. I’m pleased Wellens had it in him to change up the attack and allow the spine to play a bit more freely. What that says about Laurent Fraysinnous though, I’m not too sure. Some coaches are stubborn and will stick to their principle but I’m glad Wellens adapted and went for it, even when down on bodies to allow that. I hope it continues moving forwards even with a tough schedule ahead.
    And how exactly do we know Wellens changed up the attack rather than Frayssinous? I have no idea how influential he is or isn’t but it seems unfair to use him as a shield to deflect from Wellens when results are bad, whilst giving him no credit for anything good…

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JonNgog View Post
    And how exactly do we know Wellens changed up the attack rather than Frayssinous? I have no idea how influential he is or isn’t but it seems unfair to use him as a shield to deflect from Wellens when results are bad, whilst giving him no credit for anything good…
    Post match comments from Wello he gave credit to Frayssinous for working on the attack this week. Wello also mentioned we can't change things overnight and its a matter of small changes and finer tuning on the way we play. Welsby also mentioned a bit more freedom to express themselves.

Our coaching staff are all new so maybe its a matter of being patient so they integrate into the system, made more difficult though with all the injuries and suspensions that have come our way. Interesting explanation from Wello on why he only used 15 players on SaintsTV.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Dos Cervezas View Post
    Yes, that's what I enjoyed too. We've seen so many coaches sticking resolutely, defiantly, to one game plan and how that works out. The game evolves overall, through the season - and within a game, changes happen. Having a plan A, B, C and so on shows the mettle of a good setup. Another reason why a coaching team rather than one individual having his way is ideal. Onwards now, I hope we keep the backs playing like this when our usual forwards return.

Quote Originally Posted by FearTheVee View Post
    I think we need to give Hull KR some credit - they had a good side out and in great form.

By the same token as good as Saints were last night, Wire were absolutely terrible.
    We do, they're a good side for sure but to say we couldn't beat them or hint at that was wrong.

First half at KR was a good game, second half we were awful.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by JonNgog View Post
    Ultimately he’s the coach, so it will be down to him. He, Hurrell and Lomax mentioned as such in the post match interviews. There was no mention of Laurent, though that would be unlikely anyway.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand

Well i thought when watching last night this reminds me of the first game under Millward which made me remark , " these players now look as if they are enjoying themselves , last night they looked as if they were enjoying themselves " .

In The South Stand

We won the Grand Final the year previous but dint look happy

Learning All The Songs

We are so spoilt aren't we. I feel ashamed to have got quite worried he was maybe out of his depth.. but I did also say he deserves this year to find his feet no matter what..
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Don View Post
    That was a tactical masterclass last night.
    Bang on my friend.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Ged View Post
    Well i thought when watching last night this reminds me of the first game under Millward which made me remark , " these players now look as if they are enjoying themselves , last night they looked as if they were enjoying themselves " .
    Young, fresh, inspired, talented and most importantly, hungry. Exactly what we want to see! Great balance of experience and youth, players who've done it all and lads who want to do just that. Great stuff.