Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Regan Grace

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CGSaint View Post
    With Tee Ritson being talked about already with a great attitude etc.. can't see a way back if he wanted to come back.. obviously it would be a dream to have 3x class wingers but unrealistic??
    The club have given Ritson a 1 year deal. Ritson now has to seize that chance. Who knows how he'll go?

Club picked Hopoate on the wing last weekend. He isn't a medium or long-term option for a wing spot in my opinion and there's a decision to be made on his future over the next few months. His contract situation, I'm talking about.

Bennison given the number 5 shirt, yet the jury is out.

Makinson turns 32 by season end.

What I'm saying is that I don't think Saints should rule out bringing Regan back out of hand. The club know Regan and Regan knows the club.

The club should keep in contact with him and monitor his recovery.

Best of luck to Regan with his recovery. At his best he's a really exciting winger.
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Terrible news for Regan, I was hoping to watch him play against Stade Francais in Paris next month and would have worn my Saints jersey as I did when I watched Racing play Perpignan in November. The big screen picked me out several times and at half time a few Perpignan fans passed favourable comments about Saints. While many would question whether Regan would enjoy playing Union in comparison with League, inflated salary aside, I did think that Racing was the place for him as their stadium is undercover and at least they play a running game with Finn Russell at fly half.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stephenson View Post
    The club have given Ritson a 1 year deal. Ritson now has to seize that chance. Who knows how he'll go?

Club picked Hopoate on the wing last weekend. He isn't a medium or long-term option for a wing spot in my opinion and there's a decision to be made on his future over the next few months. His contract situation, I'm talking about.

Bennison given the number 5 shirt, yet the jury is out.

Makinson turns 32 by season end.

What I'm saying is that I don't think Saints should rule out bringing Regan back out of hand. The club know Regan and Regan knows the club.

The club should keep in contact with him and monitor his recovery.

Best of luck to Regan with his recovery. At his best he's a really exciting winger.
    There are people talking like the club have signed Ritson, we havenít, heís on a 1 year loan and under contract for 2024. If, and thatís if, Ritson proves himself worthy of a future at St Helens is there any guarantee that Barrow would release him from his last year or that Saints could afford a transfer fee?

Grace is a known quantity ability wise. If he recovers fully then Iíd have him back in a heartbeat. The only issue I can foresee is the amount of money flying round in France and Japan for union players, Iím sure someone will take a chance on him.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    If, and that’s if, Ritson proves himself worthy of a future at St Helens is there any guarantee that Barrow would release him from his last year or that Saints could afford a transfer fee?
    Barrow posted the full details of the deal. Basically, it's a loan with an option to buy (they worded it 'an option to buy-out the third year of Ritson's contract')

The arrangement provides a 'safety net' for:

Saints - if he can't make the step-up, we can let him return to Barrow at the end of the season with no further commitment
    Barrow - If he's not getting in the Saints team, we can't loan him to another Championship club as the terms of the loan deal state he could only play for Barrow elsewhere. The receive a loan fee.
    Ritson - He gets the chance to prove himself. If it works out, he gets the plum contract here; if it doesn't, he has the third year option back at Barrow to re-establish himself

It's one of those arrangements that make sense to both parties

Edit - STIDDY posted this link back when we first signed him. It's a Q&A with Barrow: https://www.facebook.com/story.php?s...n=scwspmo&_rdr

Tee Ritson – Loan Deal

There seems to be some intense speculation from our supporters about Barrow Raiders not getting a good deal for Tee Ritson from St.Helens. The current board has always tried to be transparent and keep our supporters informed of everything that goes on at the club. Below are a set of questions and answers that may go some way to helping you understand the deal and why it was struck from a Barrow perspective.

Q. Why didn’t you simply refuse to let Tee Ritson go?

A. When Tee negotiated his contract in 2021, he agreed to sign a 3-year deal only with the proviso that a Super League release clause was inserted. To protect the club, we negotiated with Tee that the Super League club would have to pay a specific lump sum for him to leave.

Q. Did St.Helens offer that specific lump sum?

A. Yes, but they also offered the option of the deal that we agreed for us to let Tee go on loan for the season.

Q. Why did you do that when you wouldn’t get any money for him?

A. It is incorrect that we won’t get any money. In fact, Barrow Raiders are receiving a significant fee.

Q. Why the loan deal?

A. In some ways it was to protect Tee and the options were discussed with him. Tee didn’t want to play for any other Championship club and the deal allows Barrow to recall him at any time that Tee doesn’t make the St.Helens squad. If he had signed for Saints and hadn’t made the team, there was a danger of Tee having to play reserve grade rugby or being loaned to another Championship club.

Q. But who pays his wages if he plays for Barrow?

A. St.Helens have negotiated a new salary for 2023 with Tee and will pay all his wages, even if he doesn’t make the grade and plays the full season at Barrow.

Q. So Saints pay a fee and pays all his wages, even if at Barrow?

A. That’s correct

Q. Given the clause in Tee’s contract do you feel in any way short-changed by Saints

A. No

Q. What happens if Saints don’t want him in 2024?

A. Tee remains a Barrow player and sees out the 3rd year of his contract at the same salary as he was signed. If he had signed for Saints for a year, other Championship clubs would be in the race for him and given his form in 2022 it would be at an inflated salary.

Q. What happens if he gets injured?

A. St.Helens are providing full medical insurance for Tee and they will pay for any medical care irrespective of being injured for Saints or Barrow

Q. What happens if Saints decide they do want him for 2024?

A. They still need to pay a lump sum to release him from his contract

Q. What happens if Saints don’t want him for 2024 but another Super League club do?

A. Assuming Tee wants to join the team then they would need to pay the release sum

Q. Will you be using the money from Saints to go into the market for a new player?

A. This will be discussed with the coaching staff. We are currently a long way down the line negotiating with a top-quality centre to complement Greg Worthington. This could allow Ryan Shaw to move to his more natural wing position with Shane Toal on the opposite flank. We also have Luke Broadbent and another, yet to be announced local player, waiting in the wings.

Q. Can you summarise the deal?

A. We have received a lump sum, all Tee’s wages will be paid by St.Helens, if he isn’t picked for Saints then he is available for Barrow, all medical fees are paid by Saints, if he isn’t signed by Saints for 2024 he is contracted to Barrow.
    Best case is we have Tee for the whole season with all his wages and a lump sum paid by Saints. Worst case is that he makes the grade with Saints and never plays for Barrow again but in that scenario, we receive the full compensation as agreed in his contract.

Q. Which scenario would you prefer?

A. We want Tee to make the grade, we aren’t a club to stand in the way of a player’s ambitions. We would love to see him on TV every week scoring the types of tries we have become used to. Sometimes in life you need to look after people. We believe that stands us best in the long run.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    There are people talking like the club have signed Ritson, we haven’t, he’s on a 1 year loan and under contract for 2024. If, and that’s if, Ritson proves himself worthy of a future at St Helens is there any guarantee that Barrow would release him from his last year or that Saints could afford a transfer fee?

Grace is a known quantity ability wise. If he recovers fully then I’d have him back in a heartbeat. The only issue I can foresee is the amount of money flying round in France and Japan for union players, I’m sure someone will take a chance on him.
    If Saints want Ritson and Ritson wants to sign for Saints there's no way Barrow would be holding on to him. As Brian Nazareth says, there'll be a buy option in the deal in any case.

Sad news for Regan. I hope he gets back fit soon but you worry what two ruptured achilles injuries will do to a player who relies so much on footwork and explosiveness.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    If Saints want Ritson and Ritson wants to sign for Saints there's no way Barrow would be holding on to him. As Brian Nazareth says, there'll be a buy option in the deal in any case.

Sad news for Regan. I hope he gets back fit soon but you worry what two ruptured achilles injuries will do to a player who relies so much on footwork and explosiveness.
    Q. Why didn’t you simply refuse to let Tee Ritson go?
    A. When Tee negotiated his contract in 2021, he agreed to sign a 3-year deal only with the proviso that a Super League release clause was inserted. To protect the club, we negotiated with Tee that the Super League club would have to pay a specific lump sum for him to leave.
    Q. Did St.Helens offer that specific lump sum?
    A. Yes, but they also offered the option of the deal that we agreed for us to let Tee go on loan for the season.
    Q. Why did you do that when you wouldn’t get any money for him?
    A. It is incorrect that we won’t get any money. In fact, Barrow Raiders are receiving a significant fee.
    Q. What happens if Saints decide they do want him for 2024?
    A. They still need to pay a lump sum to release him from his contract

That was from Barrows statement at the time (or the pertinent bits to the conversation) - theres a buy option, and Saints can afford it given they offered it this year. If Murphy is off to Aus, we can't get Davies from Catalans, and Ritson does well, it seems a no brainer ...

In The South Stand

I’ve only just seen this thread and all I can add is that I hope Regan makes a full recovery. He seems to be a genuinely nice lad.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Its a big worry for Regan to break down for a second time, that could be a career ending injury. He's a decent lad Regan, doesn't deserve to be out of the game at such an early age no matter what rugby code he plays.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Its a big worry for Regan to break down for a second time, that could be a career ending injury. He's a decent lad Regan, doesn't deserve to be out of the game at such an early age no matter what rugby code he plays.
    I thought the same thing. I hope it isnít career ending but if not it might affect his ability to step. I hope he makes a full recovery.

Learning All The Songs Mike Stephenson's Avatar

Stumbled across this new video giving a real insight into Regan's rehab. Interesting watch-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hONK-3jOEkk
    *Not to be confused with Mike Stephenson, MBE

Starting A Programme Collection

a good video to watch I wish he was back on the wing with us. good luck Regan'

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by RonSaintWiggin View Post
    I'm with you mate!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RonSaintWiggin View Post
    It’s easy to forget how good he could be. By the time he got injured there were no concerns (that I recall) under the high ball, is defending was okay and at times he could do something special.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Itís easy to forget how good he could be. By the time he got injured there were no concerns (that I recall) under the high ball, is defending was okay and at times he could do something special.
    Iíd have him back in a heartbeat even though it would clearly be a risk. I wonder whoís paying for the rehab? It doesnít look cheap.

Noooobie

I seen Grace in the gym in St Helens on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    I’d have him back in a heartbeat even though it would clearly be a risk. I wonder who’s paying for the rehab? It doesn’t look cheap.
    His contract with Racing 92 won't have expired until October/November so he'd have been covered until then.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    It’s easy to forget how good he could be. By the time he got injured there were no concerns (that I recall) under the high ball, is defending was okay and at times he could do something special.
    Spot on Belgian. Saints got Reagan as raw talent and refined him in to an excellent player.

Noooobie

is anyone else hoping that the #3 short is waiting for Regan to prove his fitness......... (i think i'm right assuming he's out of contract)

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    is anyone else hoping that the #3 short is waiting for Regan to prove his fitness......... (i think i'm right assuming he's out of contract)
    The thought has crossed my mind. His preference is clearly to get a deal in Union, preferably with Bath who have let him do fitness work with them. But if they aren't going to do that, does he just retire or go back to Rugby League? Could work out well for all parties, we get a winger for 12 months while Dagnall/Robertson/Sambou/whoever get out of nappies and Regan gets to prove his fitness and put himself in the shop window. Having said that, it seems unlikely.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    The thought has crossed my mind. His preference is clearly to get a deal in Union, preferably with Bath who have let him do fitness work with them. But if they aren't going to do that, does he just retire or go back to Rugby League? Could work out well for all parties, we get a winger for 12 months while Dagnall/Robertson/Sambou/whoever get out of nappies and Regan gets to prove his fitness and put himself in the shop window. Having said that, it seems unlikely.
    It doesn't seem that unlikely. It would/could be beneficial for all parties involved.

I seen someone mentioned above about seeing him in a gym in St Helens. I was having a steam yesterday afternoon and there was a very athletic looking half caste lad in there, I couldn't see his face properly with the steam and I'm half blind. May just be coincidence but I'd love him back even for a season.

Got A Replica Shirt

When asked about potential recruitment plans, Peters told Hull Live: "We've still got money in our cap to look at what's out there and explore some players. A winger potentially, a union-type winger. We'd be looking to explore those options and another back-row or middle if we need anybody, but we'll keep that up our sleeve for now".

hmmm

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spor...itment-8954126

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Pinners teeth View Post
    When asked about potential recruitment plans, Peters told Hull Live: "We've still got money in our cap to look at what's out there and explore some players. A winger potentially, a union-type winger. We'd be looking to explore those options and another back-row or middle if we need anybody, but we'll keep that up our sleeve for now".

hmmm

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/spor...itment-8954126
    New Talent Pool Dispensation Ė Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League is given a value of £0 in the first year of his contract and at 50% of his true value in the second year;
    Returning Talent Pool Dispensation Ė Any Player who has not previously played rugby league in the 5 years prior to signing is given a value of 50% of his true value in the first year of his contract and 75% of his true value in the second year.

So the Hull thing can't be Grace, as he'd count in full on the salary cap. I think they mean to look for a winger playing Union who would count as £0 on the cap as they'd never played league before. That's another area we should constantly be looking at using.

Got A Replica Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    New Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League is given a value of £0 in the first year of his contract and at 50% of his true value in the second year;
    Returning Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played rugby league in the 5 years prior to signing is given a value of 50% of his true value in the first year of his contract and 75% of his true value in the second year.

So the Hull thing can't be Grace, as he'd count in full on the salary cap. I think they mean to look for a winger playing Union who would count as £0 on the cap as they'd never played league before. That's another area we should constantly be looking at using.
    Ah yes, of course. Cheers. Just with him saying they have got money in their cap. I'd have been gutted had he gone elsewhere in RL when he'd be a great pickup for us.

Itíd been discussed as Bath being a possible destination for Grace but theyíre about to spend big money on Arundell so canít see them picking up another winger. The premiership salary cap is going back up next season but pretty much every team this season is maxed out or canít afford any more. I do wonder whether any of the Welsh regions will take a chance on him, they arenít financially stable either. He could probably get himself a contract playing in the French 2nd league but his options are getting more and more limited.

I would love to see Regan back at Saints, I know his injury problems are a red flag but if we could get him past that he would be such a great player. Given Makinson is near the end of his career we will need a new threat on the wing pretty soon anyway.

Apparently there is talk HKR are interested.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.