Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 4 of 84 FirstFirst 12345678142454 ... LastLast

Thread: Disciplinary 2023

Got A Season Ticket

It seems like I'm seeing something completely different to everyone else on the Hurrell challenge. To me it looks like he pulls out of the tackle when he sees the ball has been passed and comes out of his crouch to turn around and get back, which he succeeds in doing. This causes contact with the head, but I don't think his momentum was in that direction; otherwise I don't see how he gets back to make the tackle. I've only seen the angle on the youtube highlights so could be wrong and it may have been deliberate, but I thought I'd offer an alternative take.

As others have said; the best way to get the VR to look at something isn't to cause a melee. There's nothing wrong with staying down after a shoulder charge etc. (no need for theatrics) to give them time to have a look.

Got A Season Ticket grungellamas's Avatar

Following the latest round of Betfred Super League fixtures, the Match Review Panel have issued the following sanctions:

Manu Mau (Catalans Dragons) – Grade B Strikes - £250 fine
    Cameron Smith (Leeds Rhinos) – Grade B Dangerous Contact - £250 fine
    Joe Westerman (Castleford Tigers) – Grade B Dangerous Contact - £250 fine
    Tom Opacic (Hull KR) – Grade A Dangerous Contact – N/A
    Ben Currie (Warrington Wolves) – Grade B Dangerous Contact - £250 fine
    Josh Griffin (Hull FC) – Grade B Trips - £250 fine
    Jack Brown (Hull FC) – Grade B Dangerous Throw - £250 fine
    The following player was handed a caution:

Matty Lees (St Helens) – Dangerous Contact

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ep1987 View Post
    It seems like I'm seeing something completely different to everyone else on the Hurrell challenge. To me it looks like he pulls out of the tackle when he sees the ball has been passed and comes out of his crouch to turn around and get back, which he succeeds in doing. This causes contact with the head, but I don't think his momentum was in that direction; otherwise I don't see how he gets back to make the tackle. I've only seen the angle on the youtube highlights so could be wrong and it may have been deliberate, but I thought I'd offer an alternative take.

As others have said; the best way to get the VR to look at something isn't to cause a melee. There's nothing wrong with staying down after a shoulder charge etc. (no need for theatrics) to give them time to have a look.
    When I played the replay back a few times Myler was fairly aware of Hurrell coming in and stepped towards him and released the ball knowing he was going to get impact at a high level. Hurrell himself was very frustrated with the outcome and I don't think it was mean't to be deliberate he's just not that type of player. Most will remember the crash tackle on Johnsone were Hurrell helped him off the floor and asked if he was alright.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    When I played the replay back a few times Myler was fairly aware of Hurrell coming in and stepped towards him and released the ball knowing he was going to get impact at a high level. Hurrell himself was very frustrated with the outcome and I don't think it was mean't to be deliberate he's just not that type of player. Most will remember the crash tackle on Johnsone were Hurrell helped him off the floor and asked if he was alright.
    You can’t lift an apparently injured player off the floor nowadays. Severe penalties if you do. How long ago was this tackle?

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by grungellamas View Post
    Following the latest round of Betfred Super League fixtures, the Match Review Panel have issued the following sanctions:

I may be missing something here or taking too simplistic a view. But what proportion of the other offences considerwd by the disciplinary were subject to yellow cards? If Lees was handed a caution I'm assuming it was deemed a less serious offence than any of the others?

Worth saying that when I saw it at the time I didn't really have any complaints about the yellow. But if that was a yellow I'd just be interested how other seemingly more serious offences were dealt with during the match.

They might have all been given yellow cards for all I know.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by grungellamas View Post

What does that even mean? Are we talking a strongly worded letter to not do it again, or a referral to be banned for longer than usual for Lees here?

Noooobie

NFA

The caution related to something in the first half.

The yellow card he got was deemed not even a foul by the panel

https://www.rugby-league.com/uploads...rch%202023.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You can’t lift an apparently injured player off the floor nowadays. Severe penalties if you do. How long ago was this tackle?
    Last season in the home game, Johnstone was almost on his feet and was a bit groggy but not injured, Hurrell helped to steady him, the ref didn't see any problem with the gesture at the time.
    Last edited by STIDDY; 13th March 2023 at 14:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    What does that even mean? Are we talking a strongly worded letter to not do it again, or a referral to be banned for longer than usual for Lees here?
    In theory the club could appeal on the caution by a technicality similar to the Knowles one. The offence has not been recorded correctly as the box for details has not been filled in according to the listing. Its as though the disciplinary have just made it up.

Learning All The Songs

Dangerous Contact - Other Contrary Behaviour. Anyone got a clue about it? Absolutely zero detail, the vagueness of it makes it hard to recall anything of note.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penrith Plonker View Post
    Not the first time Westerman has made dangerous contact lately.
    It's never going to get old
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

The caution was given for a tackle Lees made, with Roby and Bell, in the first half on Ben Nakubuwai. Ben's arm was bent over his back. Looked totally accidental which I guess is why it's a caution. The time stamp from the MRP is 24 44.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrum Down View Post
    I may be missing something here or taking too simplistic a view. But what proportion of the other offences considerwd by the disciplinary were subject to yellow cards? If Lees was handed a caution I'm assuming it was deemed a less serious offence than any of the others?

Worth saying that when I saw it at the time I didn't really have any complaints about the yellow. But if that was a yellow I'd just be interested how other seemingly more serious offences were dealt with during the match.

They might have all been given yellow cards for all I know.
    I've not finished looking at today's info but at the end of round 3 there had been 5 yellow cards which the MRP looked at again.
    Tom Amone (Leigh) - Dangerous Throw - Grade B = £250
    Marc Sneyd (Salford) - Professional Foul - No further action
    Ryan Brierley (Salford) - Professional Foul - No further action
    Curtis Sironen (Saints) - Late contact - Grade B = 1 match
    Sione Mata'utia (Saints) - Late contact - Grade C = 2 matches

EDIT:
    Morgan Smithies (Wigan) - Dangerous contact - Grade B - £250
    Last edited by grungellamas; 13th March 2023 at 17:34.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    NFA

The caution related to something in the first half.

The yellow card he got was deemed not even a foul by the panel

https://www.rugby-league.com/uploads...rch%202023.pdf
    So two game changing decisions in two weeks completely wrong with MRP decisions backing that up. Add to that an obstruction on lomax in build up to Charnley try (lomax is too honest staying on his feet, sad that to be considered seem to have to dive) and the club have every right to be seriously ••••••ed off.

The hard way it is this season...

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    So two game changing decisions in two weeks completely wrong with MRP decisions backing that up. Add to that an obstruction on lomax in build up to Charnley try (lomax is too honest staying on his feet, sad that to be considered seem to have to dive) and the club have every right to be seriously ••••••ed off.

The hard way it is this season...
    It does appear we've been harshly done to the last few weeks....I can accept the ones not on TV because the officials get one look and the speed of the incidents, they will make mistakes.

It will be interesting to know if we have asked for clarification like Wello said after the Leeds game and if we can apply some subconscious 'pressure' to the officials going forward.

But in the short term we need to be smarter and tidy up our discipline.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I've seen a few theories on here about Myler deliberately enticing Hurrell to hit him high. If that's true, he's got some serious balls....I played half back for a long time and I don't think I'd have the guts for that tactic .

Quote Originally Posted by fizzy rascal View Post
    It does appear we've been harshly done to the last few weeks....I can accept the ones not on TV because the officials get one look and the speed of the incidents, they will make mistakes.

It will be interesting to know if we have asked for clarification like Wello said after the Leeds game and if we can apply some subconscious 'pressure' to the officials going forward.

I believe the clarification was given by the MRP labelling it a shoulder charge. I'd love to hear that conversation though.

Got A Season Ticket

Good to see us taking the bull by the horns in the correct manner. Let’s see if it makes a difference.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport...ague-referees/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Good to see us taking the bull by the horns in the correct manner. Let’s see if it makes a difference.

https://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/sport...ague-referees/

Did he actually speak to anyone from the RFL or refereeing panel. The headline indicates that, but no mention in the article of him speaking to anyone other than Mike Critchley. I hope he did raise it officially.

Got A Season Ticket

It says he sent an email.

Wellens said he has sent an email to Super League referees with his initial thoughts on the incident.

“I don’t need a response because what I am focusing on now is what we are going to do as a team next week.

Learning All The Songs

It mentions an email to the referees which I'm assuming is what the headline is referencing.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    It mentions an email to the referees which I'm assuming is what the headline is referencing.
    It says he sent an email.

Wellens said he has sent an email to Super League referees with his initial thoughts on the incident.

“I don’t need a response because what I am focusing on now is what we are going to do as a team next week.

Sorry both of you. Just read it again and on my screen the last 6 paras were on the page below. Looks like there should have been some large advert in that space.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    Sorry both of you. Just read it again and on my screen the last 6 paras were on the page below. Looks like there should have been some large advert in that space.
    That websites a mess very easily done!

Starting A Programme Collection

Here we go again, Morgan Knowles one match penalty for the late hit