Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: RIP Fred Lindop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default RIP Fred Lindop

Legendary RL referee, from darkest Yorkshire.

This file is not hosted on RedVee.Net, this is a YouTube video.
    Contact YouTube.Com if you have any copyright issues.

Those who remember his officiating (and most likely didn't agree with any of it) share stories but please keep your memories civil.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

Definitely a legend of our sport, I didn't agree with many of his decisions but that was of course his job.

I have read today about his work with Student RL which I was unaware of. A real rugby man RIP

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Always seemed to favour the Yaarsker clubs.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Got A Season Ticket Jack Reacher's Avatar

RIP Mr. Lindop. One of a number of decent referees when I started to follow the Saints. Along with Eric Clay, Billy Thompson, Stan Wall etc.

Does anyone remember the name of the ref who passed away in the dressing room at half time on a Tuesday night match at Knowsley Road in the 70’s?

Can't say I have fond memories of his refereeing performances but the club bias of a young fan may have tainted my view!

I guess back in those days they had to make a call on the spot with no technology, not only no video ref but they were not wired up to their touch judges.
    The game itself was more brutal as well so difficult to keep a lid on.
    I think he was probably a very decent bloke when all is said and done.
    RIP to him.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Reacher View Post
    RIP Mr. Lindop. One of a number of decent referees when I started to follow the Saints. Along with Eric Clay, Billy Thompson, Stan Wall etc.

Does anyone remember the name of the ref who passed away in the dressing room at half time on a Tuesday night match at Knowsley Road in the 70’s?
    I think the ref was Jackson and I thought he finished the game and took ill afterwards. Can’t be sure it was a long time ago.

Got A Season Ticket

I hadn't realised that David Oxley died as well. Starting to feel a bit old as the conveyor belt moves people along. I remember giving Lindop abuse at matches, more as part of a crowd thing than anything else. Can't really remember now whether he was biased or not, but do think refs get labelled unfairly. Except for St Stuart Cummings who should have a statue outside Knowsley Rd for his heroics.

Got A Season Ticket

He was the ref at John Player Special Trophy victory. Leeds believed that one of Paul Loughlin's tries was a double movement.

Fred in later years became the referees controller. An unenviable role. https://fb.watch/ihetWeJhzl/ is a link to a Boots and All program where he goes toe to toe with Stevo and Alex Murphy

Sent from my M2003J15SC using Tapatalk