Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rugby union 6 nations / Netflix

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
    And where are the clubs getting the money from to pay the wages of the players? Surely they'd only want the big names (that could adjust) and not some random that hasn't even played RL previously.
    The tacking rule doesn’t apply to the top two tiers of RU but there may be up and coming talent at semi-pro and amateur level. It could be an opportunity to grow our amateur game if there are amateur RL clubs to move to.

There was something on Midlands’ News yesterday about the Staffordshire RU challenging the rule change. A junior RU coach also expressed concern about losing young players and more injuries from knees and boots. Some women players expressed similar concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Suttoner View Post
    The tacking rule doesn’t apply to the top two tiers of RU but there may be up and coming talent at semi-pro and amateur level. It could be an opportunity to grow our amateur game if there are amateur RL clubs to move to.

There was something on Midlands’ News yesterday about the Staffordshire RU challenging the rule change. A junior RU coach also expressed concern about losing young players and more injuries from knees and boots. Some women players expressed similar concerns.
    Maybe not now, but there was a post above saying it was being discussed in parliment to introduce it, and that was what might prompt the exodus of players - so if that's the case, none of the top names are going to be able to be paid anywhere near in RL. Surely they will go to French or Aussie/NZ union teams.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

In The South Stand

Maybe not now, but there was a post above saying it was being discussed in parliment to introduce it, and that was what might prompt the exodus of players - so if that's the case, none of the top names are going to be able to be paid anywhere near in RL. Surely they will go to French or Aussie/NZ union teams.
    I can’t see the rule being introduced in the top tiers because the authorities would need to ensure the international game accepts the same changes. I agree that there’s unlikely to be a mass exodus to League among established professionals. I think it’s lower tier players we should keep an eye on if the change goes ahead.

A defence coach was questioned on Midlands Today. He said a similar rule change in France had proved difficult because of problems with interpretation etc. He said games rarely finished with 15 players per team on the pitch. I mention this because the French rule change means that players can’t simply move there. If this is a knee jerk response to the concussion problem, I can envisage the RU authorities backing down. However, if the move is based on scientific/medical advice it may be hard for them to change their minds without leaving themselves open to further litigation.

Starting A Programme Collection

You're right overseas is where the players will be looking at unless it comes in every country wouldn't surprise me as you'd have club matches in England playing different rules to the rest of Europe and around the world and what happens in the Heineken Cup or whatever its called if England teams are at home playing 1 rule and away another rule it's unsustainable they'd all have to fall into to rule one rule sooner or later

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    You're right overseas is where the players will be looking at unless it comes in every country wouldn't surprise me as you'd have club matches in England playing different rules to the rest of Europe and around the world and what happens in the Heineken Cup or whatever its called if England teams are at home playing 1 rule and away another rule it's unsustainable they'd all have to fall into to rule one rule sooner or later
    Just reading a story on BBC with the RFU apologising for the handling of it, but it does say that France and NZ are/will be adopting this way too. So if players don't like it, and RL can't pay them, I wonder where they might end up playing? "In making our decision we were aware that France have lowered the tackle height, New Zealand will be doing so and World Rugby supports this approach," the RFU added.
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!