Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Give Wello Advice

Learning All The Songs

Default Give Wello Advice

If you could sit with Paul and give him your two pence worth of advice or your pointer for the season what would you tell him?

Mine would be to try and cut the suspensions out from last season that killed us at times. (although we did finish top )

In The South Stand

I'd tell him not to change a thing in terms of defensive setup and coaching, fitness setup and coaching or gameplans. I'd tell him to not change too drastically in attack too, just tweak to make us more of a threat in certain areas.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

He will know this already, but I would say give Dodd plenty of time to get his head back into his game. It can take a little longer than a physical injury in some players.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Rotate players to keep them fresh, keeping a close eye on Big Al, who looked jaded at times last season.

Oh, and make sure we're front of the queue should Thompson decide to return to SL.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

I'm sure Wellens will put his own style on things, but ultimately I would just say don't let the standards drop - both on and off the pitch. We have the players, the attitude and hunger, so it's just about maintaining that whilst freshening things up a bit to keep us at the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

Learning All The Songs

Same gist from me too

Keep that steel Saints have now got
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Don't go on Redvee.net and Twitter
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Blobbynator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noel cleal View Post
    don't go on redvee.net and twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondent Dave
    Blobby is a man of style, panache and impeccable taste

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

To stay composed and not panic from the coaching bench, something Woolf was very good at and get the assistant coaches to take some of the mental pressures off.

I see Wello has already had a discussion with KC about what went wrong in his apporoach to the job. At the time Wello's duties was doing the analytics but KC didn't get the learnings back onto the pitch.

Wello will want to put his own stamp on the coaching role but I don't think he will drift away much from the Holbrook/Woolf experiences and I expect the same defensive structure but with a bit more attacking approach, most important he has the players who will want to keep the successful structure and Wello doesn't need to re invent the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    Don't go on Redvee.net and Twitter
    He's not daft. He deleted his Twitter and Instagram accounts after he got the job

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Defence wins finals. Don’t try to change too much too quickly. I’d also like us to develop our last tackle options close to the opposition line. I know having Dodd back will help this but it’s one of the few criticisms I’ve had of saints over the successful period. We are far better than anyone else at getting into threatening positions but we don’t execute as well as we should do.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Defence wins finals. Don’t try to change too much too quickly. I’d also like us to develop our last tackle options close to the opposition line. I know having Dodd back will help this but it’s one of the few criticisms I’ve had of saints over the successful period. We are far better than anyone else at getting into threatening positions but we don’t execute as well as we should do.
    We did have last tackle switch plays before we lost 2/3rds of our back line and it more or less dissapeared until Welby and Lomax got something going with Batchelor. We also had a power play from Sironen, having all our injured back will improve our attack significantly.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    To stay composed and not panic from the coaching bench, something Woolf was very good at and get the assistant coaches to take some of the mental pressures off.

I see Wello has already had a discussion with KC about what went wrong in his apporoach to the job. At the time Wello's duties was doing the analytics but KC didn't get the learnings back onto the pitch.

Wello will want to put his own stamp on the coaching role but I don't think he will drift away much from the Holbrook/Woolf experiences and I expect the same defensive structure but with a bit more attacking approach, most important he has the players who will want to keep the successful structure and Wello doesn't need to re invent the wheel.
    I wouldn’t be surprised if KC didn’t tell Wello everything was fine under him as coach, and it was the tub thumping fans acting like sheep that got him the sack.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I wouldn’t be surprised if KC didn’t tell Wello everything was fine under him as coach, and it was the tub thumping fans acting like sheep that got him the sack.
    Hope Kieron didn't give him his headphones?

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pramtown View Post
    I sometimes wonder, in hindsight, does McManus regret making that comment

Learning All The Songs

Prior to every match read the redvee discussion forum, and do as Saddened, The Reacher, DD and others recommendation. This is the only way we will win anything , apparently.

Got A Season Ticket

I would say ignore everything I say because you know what you're doing and I don't.

I'm not sure Wello particularly needs advice from us on here. He's pretty much been there and done it. He's also been part of the success in recent seasons so I'm sure it'll be a case of minor tweaks and more of the same please.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

I’d advise him to ignore any advice and be your own man.

Starting A Programme Collection

I'd suggest to listen to thoughts and ideas from all kinds of different perspectives... and then be his own person too.
    I reckon this is more or less what Wello brings too - a whole load of experience as a player and from his coaching roles around different good quality people
    - he's been good at taking a lot of this on board whilst also having his own ideas and willing to implement and take responsibility

I wish him well and hope he succeeds. I don't think he'll have a fall from grace like KC experienced as a coach - though this doesn't guarantee success in results either
    It will be tough to follow all the success we've had and at some point we'll tail off or some other team will come to the fore. I hope we manage to maintain these high standards for a good while longer yet... and Wello is a good person for this task ahead.

One wish is that we can do it with a good amount of entertainment into the mix as well.
    Last edited by St. Christopher; 9th January 2023 at 23:20.

Got A Season Ticket

Just sort discipline/lazy 6 agains out. Real p*ss boiler for me.

In The West Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    Just sort discipline/lazy 6 agains out. Real p*ss boiler for me.
    Let’s be fair, there’s nothing lazy about this team. The discipline/ 6 agains from last year were far more about getting the line between aggression/ ill discipline wrong rather than anything else.

As others have said, only thing I can say is evolution rather than revolution. Don’t be afraid to change things but we don’t need to change everything all at once either.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Prior to every match read the redvee discussion forum, and do as Saddened, The Reacher, DD and others recommendation. This is the only way we will win anything , apparently.
    Makes sense. I am 94% of the reason Saints are where they are. It was my demanding of higher standards that got the cladding put up and it was me who held the mirror up and got them to sort the recruitment out.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Bostik Bailey View Post
    Sack Wello and replace with these. I’m starting the Wello Out faction today!

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    Makes sense. I am 94% of the reason Saints are where they are. It was my demanding of higher standards that got the cladding put up and it was me who held the mirror up and got them to sort the recruitment out.
    Yes, you are often mentioned in the boardroom minutes, think it was Holbrook who said " You must listen and learn the Words of Wisdom" from that person Saddened and must not be ignored.