Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will we be paying the Ladies?

I’m reading that Saints are investing in facilities and the medical department for the ladies. So it’s not like we aren’t trying to grow the game, we’ve just diversified down a different route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting A Programme Collection

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/r...aints-25976469

Amy Hardcastle to Leeds. Says she lives in Halifax so makes sense for her from a travelling perspective as well as the money, obviously.

Got A Season Ticket

Looks like Amy Hardcastle is about to sign for Leeds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

Who can blame her? All that commute costa money?

In The South Stand

We've apparently lost five international players from our Womens team now. Who they are or where they're going or even when I'm not sure. But potentially a mix of Leeds, York and the WNRL? I guess the news on Hardcastle probably answers my question in the initial post, it doesn't look like we're going to pay the players and are going to lose a lot of them as a result.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    We've apparently lost five international players from our Womens team now. Who they are or where they're going or even when I'm not sure. But potentially a mix of Leeds, York and the WNRL? I guess the news on Hardcastle probably answers my question in the initial post, it doesn't look like we're going to pay the players and are going to lose a lot of them as a result.
    Do you know who they are ?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    Do you know who they are ?
    I don't. It wouldn't surprise me if it were those who travel from Yorkshire primarily, that would make sense. Unless any have agreed moves to the NRL.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

I don't. It wouldn't surprise me if it were those who travel from Yorkshire primarily, that would make sense. Unless any have agreed moves to the NRL.
    I don't think we have that many players travelling over from Yorkshire, most of our womens team are Lancashire based. Losing 5 players from our squad sounds high, don't think Saints will sleep walk into that situation. I should imagine the club will pay money out to our players in some other form without officially going professional.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    I don't think we have that many players travelling over from Yorkshire, most of our womens team are Lancashire based. Losing 5 players from our squad sounds high, don't think Saints will sleep walk into that situation. I should imagine the club will pay money out to our players in some other form without officially going professional.
    Currently they aren't planning to or doing so. The losses to the squad will be very costly

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    The guy who told me is close to a few of our team, but works in the Warrington/Community setup. Could easily be Chinese whispers or extrapolations from 'I'm off if they're not paying us'. But he was pretty confident the women's competition generally is going to see mass movement of players, both to the clubs offering payment and to Australia. He echoed what McManus has said about it, that professionalism needs to be managed and come from the League first rather than the brown paper bag scenario we've likely got now. He likened it to pre-Super League in the men's game where it was a bit lawless and like the wild west when it came to persuading players to join you. He'd like to see a low minimum payment for playing that builds as the commercial platform does, but what you've got now is the best players being offered one off amounts to move, but most getting nothing. Who knows, but it's what you end up with when there is no direction and management from the RFL/SL as ever.

In The South Stand warringtonsaint's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if Wire get into paying for a ladies team.......
    Might be their best chance of winning something!
    "The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom." Danny Blanchflower.
    Might have been written by a footballer about football - but never a truer word............

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post
    They've already confirmed they won't be as their accounts are so bad that it would be a dereliction of Directors duties to add another overhead into that. But as it's Warrington I'll bet what happens 'officially' may be different to what goes on behind the scenes.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warringtonsaint View Post

At times last season, it looked like they were already fielding a team of women.

(Re: Saddened's post, their attendances have fallen off a cliff the last few years, so not surprised at them being in a tough financial pickle)
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

If the ladies need to be paid then the game will have to find a way of monetising that section of the sport whether finding someone to pay for a seperate TV deal or sponsorships. Most of the SL clubs are trading losses as it is. Even charging to watch the game would be a start as I'm sure mens game season ticket holders get free entry.
    Its still relatively early days for the women's game and pretty sure nobody is going to pay a full time wage. I suspect its quite a way from being able to become a full time occupation.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    If the ladies need to be paid then the game will have to find a way of monetising that section of the sport whether finding someone to pay for a seperate TV deal or sponsorships. Most of the SL clubs are trading losses as it is. Even charging to watch the game would be a start as I'm sure mens game season ticket holders get free entry.
    Its still relatively early days for the women's game and pretty sure nobody is going to pay a full time wage. I suspect its quite a way from being able to become a full time occupation.
    All true. However it doesn't matter if one or two sides are paying them £100, £200, £500 or £5,000 a match, the best players are still going to migrate to those sides from sides that pay £0. That will leave the league pretty much ordered by which club is willing to spend the most. The question is are Saints going to be one of them, or are we going to be mid table and getting pumped every week?

Got A Season Ticket

I hope the rumours about so many leaving aren’t true, although I suspect there will be somewhat of an exodus if we can’t keep ‘up with the Jones’ payment-wise. I’m particularly sorry to see Amy Hardcaslte go, I love watching her play - such a talented, hard working player.

As an aside, and speaking as one, could we please refer to the game and the players as ‘women’ as opposed to ‘ladies’. As a 50-something year old woman, it is slightly irking to be referred to in such conversations as ladies as opposed to women. It’s women’s super league, women’s rugby and women play the game. This is in no way meant to start a raging debate about equality/sexism etc, just a simple request. Thanks.

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

That was no lady, that was my wife!

https://www.skysports.com/rugbyleagu...-league/tables

Seems quite a few of the teams listed here have "ladies" as a suffix?

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Dagzie View Post
    As an aside, and speaking as one, could we please refer to the game and the players as ‘women’ as opposed to ‘ladies’. As a 50-something year old woman, it is slightly irking to be referred to in such conversations as ladies as opposed to women. It’s women’s super league, women’s rugby and women play the game. This is in no way meant to start a raging debate about equality/sexism etc, just a simple request. Thanks.
    Apologies. I had no idea there was a difference between 'ladies' and 'women' other than being slightly more formal. I got told off at work for referring to the hoes as 'girls' too, not having a good week 'Women' just sounds so jarring though, but I'll do as you instruct from now on, maybe I'll annoy less people.

Learning All The Songs

Apologies. I had no idea there was a difference between 'ladies' and 'women' other than being slightly more formal. I got told off at work for referring to the hoes as 'girls' too, not having a good week 'Women' just sounds so jarring though, but I'll do as you instruct from now on, maybe I'll annoy less people.

Could use the word Females ��

Learning All The Songs

Jarring? Really? Its the RFL WOMEN’s Super League, its in the name of the sport, its not that difficult, you cant be that dense.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tomsepho View Post
    Jarring? Really? Its the RFL WOMEN’s Super League, its in the name of the sport, its not that difficult, you cant be that dense.

It’s Womens SL but our team is called St Helens Ladies.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    It’s Womens SL but our team is called St Helens Ladies.
    Its St Helens Women on the club’s website.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/teams/sthelens-women/

Its St Helens Women on the club’s website.

https://www.saintsrlfc.com/teams/sthelens-women/
    See the Sky Sports link I posted above and check out the team name listings.

Im genuinely staggered that use of the term Ladies could even be considered disrespectful though. Mind you a lot of people go out of their way to get offended by most things these days.

Womens it is.

Surely the sport is Rugby League?