Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will we be paying the Ladies?

In The South Stand

Default Will we be paying the Ladies?

I see it's reported in the news this week that both Wigan and York are joining Leeds in paying their Women's team. Whilst there would still be some lure of playing for St Helens because of their status generally and the success of the women's team, it does feel like it will be increasingly difficult to maintain and develop the high standards the team has set if other teams are able to offer payment when we're not. The ladies coming across to play for us from Yorkshire in particular must be very dedicated to the cause when there are teams in Yorkshire who would pay them.

I guess it depends on the financial situation and the importance the club puts on this aspect of the game. Other clubs, I believe Huddersfield and Warrington, have confirmed they will not be paying their women's teams this year, so we wouldn't be alone in that by any means. But it would be good for this arm of the club to be strong and successful and I guess this is a big call for the club.

The 13 year old boy inside of me can't stop giggling from the title of this thread.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

I'm guessing it depends on what they're paying.. I'm guessing a lot will be expenses rather than a wage as such.

Even the NRLW is on the whole Semi Professional

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

It's a tough one as most RL clubs probably teeter on the edge financially anyway. Do the Women deserve to be paid? Yes absolutely but how is the interesting point ie gate receipts from Women's matches, additional sponsorship? I don't know I'm not a businessman but I hope everyone understands my point and it's not taken negatively. One way of looking at it is in 100yrs the mens game hasn't grown much maybe the Women's game will fair better nationally in time who knows?

Subsidise the women's game to allow them to be paid as long term it will reap benefits. I'm probably of this opinion as I think the women's and wheelchair games are out best current assets for developing the sport and bringing in new audiences and participants that didn't have a pathway previously. You could effectively double participation in the sport within 10 years if you encourage girls at school age and can put role models in front of them. A massive untapped market for the sport

Got A Season Ticket

Many of the better players will not be at saints for the 24 season. Already had other clubs talking to them

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by stobartmassive View Post
    Many of the better players will not be at saints for the 24 season. Already had other clubs talking to them
    That's the worry.

Its a difficult one as there's no doubt its a growth area for the Sport however financially we aren't in a brilliant position. There's still Covid loans to be paid back and lets not forget that during Covid we suffered more than any other club bar perhaps Leeds with income lost from the stadium.

Sounds harsh but put simply they don't attract the crowds to make it worthwhile paying them. If tickets were priced as per the mens then they would get even less of a crowd as people can't and won't attend both on different days and financially it would be a big ask too.

I'm not sure what the answer is to be honest. Football is different as the big clubs can bankroll the ladies game whilst crowds are growing.

In The South Stand

I hope we do. We can’t exactly be short of the money required.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

In The South Stand KentishBarry's Avatar

IMO it would be very short sighted of the club not to start paying the women.
    The benefits of this were very clear from the recent World Cup, and we all know what happened in the men's domestic comp. when a certain side first went full time!
    Take the hit, pay the girls and stay ahead of the curve. I do believe that the payback will come from this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by KentishBarry View Post
    IMO it would be very short sighted of the club not to start paying the women.
    The benefits of this were very clear from the recent World Cup, and we all know what happened in the men's domestic comp. when a certain side first went full time!
    Take the hit, pay the girls and stay ahead of the curve. I do believe that the payback will come from this approach.
    I agree with this. It might not be profitable in the short term but it is a major potential growth area for the game and it would be good for Saints to be at the forefront of it.

Also, I think the definition of 'paying' is quite loose here — I don't think any of the clubs are talking about going professional and paying their players salaries; I suspect it will be more along the lines of paying a modest match fee, covering expenses, etc.

In The South Stand Paul Newlove's Avatar

We'll need extra sponsorship I'd say. Again it could sound heartless but I've been paying to watch Saints for nearly 40 yrs now I wouldn't want the quality of the mens team to suffer that's who I pay to watch....IMG should be pushing the broadcasters and sponsors as no doubt the women's game will grow but all that has to be in place doesn't it?

Learning All The Songs

Difficult for it to grow without investment. Things are rarely profitable instantly without someone being prepared to fund it's initial growth. Why would a sponsor be interested if clubs aren't?

We're not talking big bucks either given this is just winning bonuses. I'd be disappointed if Saints aren't at least looking at matching what York and Leeds are doing. I read on Twitter earlier that Wigan are likely to follow shortly too.

Mind you, if the sport had any sense, the RFL and clubs in the WSL would have got together and come up with a collective approach as part of a post-WC strategy for the women's game but that's not exactly the sport's strong suit.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Private Pyle View Post
    Difficult for it to grow without investment. Things are rarely profitable instantly without someone being prepared to fund it's initial growth. Why would a sponsor be interested if clubs aren't?

We're not talking big bucks either given this is just winning bonuses. I'd be disappointed if Saints aren't at least looking at matching what York and Leeds are doing. I read on Twitter earlier that Wigan are likely to follow shortly too.

Mind you, if the sport had any sense, the RFL and clubs in the WSL would have got together and come up with a collective approach as part of a post-WC strategy for the women's game but that's not exactly the sport's strong suit.
    On the subject of money rugby union premiership rumoured to be going down to 10 clubs with a reduced salary cap

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    On the subject of money rugby union premiership rumoured to be going down to 10 clubs with a reduced salary cap
    That would be remarkable. There was talk of them moving to a franchise system with a buy-in like the IPL in cricket. Now they're talking about cutting teams and reducing the spend on players?

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    That would be remarkable. There was talk of them moving to a franchise system with a buy-in like the IPL in cricket. Now they're talking about cutting teams and reducing the spend on players?
    There's an article in the daily mail on line Google it

Got A Season Ticket

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64228716

Here’s the BBCs take on it.
    It shows the size of the problem when Leicester Tigers reported an operating loss of £1.9m last season despite finishing top of the league and winning the play-off final with an average home attendance of over 20,000

Learning All The Songs

What? The women are not paid?
    NEVER WRITE OFF THE SAINTS
    Insta @christianjamescreative

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Saddened! View Post
    They’ve lost 2 teams this year, others are known to be struggling financially, think all but 2 teams owe a lot to HMRC, the sports lived well beyond its means for a while.

In The South Stand southernsaint7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dux View Post
    I agree with this. It might not be profitable in the short term but it is a major potential growth area for the game and it would be good for Saints to be at the forefront of it.

Also, I think the definition of 'paying' is quite loose here — I don't think any of the clubs are talking about going professional and paying their players salaries; I suspect it will be more along the lines of paying a modest match fee, covering expenses, etc.
    Exactly right - based on 10 league games and a successful cup and play off run I'm guessing about 16 games? If they are on 100 quid a game each it's under 30k pre ERNIC etc...if saints aren't able to generate that in extra money via gates and sponsorships etc, we need a new marketing crew

Got A Season Ticket

On a related note, does that mean the ladies coach also isn't paid?

Quote Originally Posted by stobartmassive View Post
    Some won't be for the 23 season

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by southernsaint7 View Post
    Some won't be for the 23 season
    Aye, I believe one has already chased the coin to yarkshire

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Can’t blame them. If they’re good enough to get paid and we won’t pay them why would they stay?
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    Can’t blame them. If they’re good enough to get paid and we won’t pay them why would they stay?
    Indeed. Very disappointing decision. York have managed but we can't. Baffling