Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Give Wello Advice

Learning All The Songs

Dont try to be another version of another coach, be his own person, take what he has learnt from others but it has to be his ideas.

Not sure why I have been dragged into this. My only comment was that he has deleted his social media

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk

Same advice as any other coach is given... win the last game of the season and you'll be fine.

Wellens will aim to replicate Woolf's standards defensively and maybe aim to have us a tad more expansive with the ball, but the second won't be done at the expense of the first in 2023 IMO. We have a chance of 5 in a row, something the entire club should be aiming at, and if solid defence wins big games then Wello will be all for that. He doesn't want to be the lad who broke the chain of league titles after all. In 2024 and beyond I think the shackles and pressure will be lifted (especially if he has a league title of his own) and we may see more of what he wants to do, but I think in 2023 he'll consider it job done if the players give him as much as they gave Woolf and we get similar results.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Gray77 View Post
    Same advice as any other coach is given... win the last game of the season and you'll be fine.

Wellens will aim to replicate Woolf's standards defensively and maybe aim to have us a tad more expansive with the ball, but the second won't be done at the expense of the first in 2023 IMO. We have a chance of 5 in a row, something the entire club should be aiming at, and if solid defence wins big games then Wello will be all for that. He doesn't want to be the lad who broke the chain of league titles after all. In 2024 and beyond I think the shackles and pressure will be lifted (especially if he has a league title of his own) and we may see more of what he wants to do, but I think in 2023 he'll consider it job done if the players give him as much as they gave Woolf and we get similar results.
    No Pressure then?

Its an unbelievably tough act to follow a coach who never lost a Play off game in 3 years and also won a CC and a LLS. If he doesn't win the GF then technically he would be a failure even if there were lots of reasons and mitigation.

He's a smart cookie though Wellens and already he is making astute comments in his pressers, he's very highly regarded within the game and doesn't suffer fools. He's worked with some brilliant coaches and will have learnt lots along the way. He also has the likes of Roby and Lomax in his leadership group and I'm sure he will involve them in his thinking.

A very good mate of mine is involved professionally in the game and watched England train a lot whilst they were based at Robin Park. He said that there is a noticeable difference in the way that the Saints lads carry themselves and the way they train. Wane commented on it also and asked the question as to why Wigan don't train the same. My mate said the last time he saw players with the same mentality was the Leeds golden period and their 07,08 and 09 team.

This is why I think it will still take a good team or some really bad luck to stop us winning it again.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Reacher View Post
    Its an unbelievably tough act to follow a coach who never lost a Play off game in 3 years and also won a CC and a LLS. If he doesn't win the GF then technically he would be a failure even if there were lots of reasons and mitigation.

He's a smart cookie though Wellens and already he is making astute comments in his pressers, he's very highly regarded within the game and doesn't suffer fools. He's worked with some brilliant coaches and will have learnt lots along the way. He also has the likes of Roby and Lomax in his leadership group and I'm sure he will involve them in his thinking.

A very good mate of mine is involved professionally in the game and watched England train a lot whilst they were based at Robin Park. He said that there is a noticeable difference in the way that the Saints lads carry themselves and the way they train. Wane commented on it also and asked the question as to why Wigan don't train the same. My mate said the last time he saw players with the same mentality was the Leeds golden period and their 07,08 and 09 team.

This is why I think it will still take a good team or some really bad luck to stop us winning it again.
    This really shines through when we have essentially fielded academy teams in recent times, due to injury etc. The attitude has permeated throughout the club. Although we lose these games, the effort and attitude of those lads is unmatched in the rest of Superleague. Bodes very well for the future.

Not sure why I have been dragged into this. My only comment was that he has deleted his social media
    The 2023 winner of the Francis Meli medal at team scapegoat this Reacher, congrats.

If you could get in contact with Ben Davies, he can send you over the trophy.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by magic superbeetle View Post
    Let’s be fair, there’s nothing lazy about this team. The discipline/ 6 agains from last year were far more about getting the line between aggression/ ill discipline wrong rather than anything else.

As others have said, only thing I can say is evolution rather than revolution. Don’t be afraid to change things but we don’t need to change everything all at once either.
    Im sorry my reference to the word lazy has been misconstrued and was meant to describe the multiple 6 agains we give every game. The lazy term is not a physical laziness, more a premeditated and possibly coached plan to give 6 agains early on in the count. Maybe I should have used the words annoying or slack.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Cleal View Post
    The 2023 winner of the Francis Meli medal at team scapegoat this Reacher, congrats.

If you could get in contact with Ben Davies, he can send you over the trophy.

I must have missed something Noel, when did they rename the Ade “bloody” Gardner medal after Meli.

Starting A Programme Collection Saintsaregods's Avatar

And yet I don’t remember him winning coach of the year, utter travesty.

In The South Stand Nickles Forearm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsaregods View Post
    And yet I don’t remember him winning coach of the year, utter travesty.
    Victim of the clubs success over the years. Similar to Robes and his failure to lift the MOS since being second fiddle to KC back in 2007, or worse still only lifting it once throughout his glittering career.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Blobbynator View Post
    I'm sure Wellens will put his own style on things, but ultimately I would just say don't let the standards drop - both on and off the pitch. We have the players, the attitude and hunger, so it's just about maintaining that whilst freshening things up a bit to keep us at the top.
    I think there needs to be a difference in our attacking options otherwise we will be read like a book.

In The South Stand

Quote Originally Posted by notawiginfan View Post
    I think there needs to be a difference in our attacking options otherwise we will be read like a book.
    I think Dodd’s return will make a huge difference to our attacking options. I just hope he’s come though the injury OK. Losing him last year made a significant difference to our performance in attack. We were imperious before his injury.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

We had all 5 experienced attacking backs out injured or playing injured for a fair spell last season, just having Percival and Dodd will provide attack variation. Less pressure off Lomax as well as he plays with 2 arms this season. When we had very few injuries we were averaging around 33 points in attack, last season we went down to around 25 points so we coped well courtesy of the inexperienced Academy lads coming through.

Learning All The Songs

sorry mate I meant The Reverand

Got A Season Ticket

The only thing he needs to tweak are our 5th tackle plays which were woeful last season

Got A Season Ticket

Forget the fifth tackle option, bring back four drives and a kick. Oh and a bit of biff, everyone likes a bit of biff. Remember being entertaining is more important than winning. And beating the Goons trumps everything else.

Learning All The Songs Kakariki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saintsaregods View Post
    I must have missed something Noel, when did they rename the Ade “bloody” Gardner medal after Meli.
    I think it's had many names over the years, much like the League/Milk/Coca-Cola/Carabao Cup.

Got A Season Ticket

Don't forget the unknown aspect - Laurent Frayssinous has been brought in as the attack coach & to support Wello.

Being optimistic this could be the masterstroke that keeps us ahead of the pack.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
    If you could sit with Paul and give him your two pence worth of advice or your pointer for the season what would you tell him?

Mine would be to try and cut the suspensions out from last season that killed us at times. (although we did finish top )
    Yes. That and always eat your greens