Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadworks

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Default Roadworks

Why do roadworks take so bloody long? Is this a Sintellins thing or is it like that everywhere?

After taking about 6 months to seemingly just replace the kerbs and resurface the Sherdley Road/Peasley Cross Lane junction (seriously, has anything material actually changed?), creating huge queues and delays in all directions, they're now setting about destroying the Bull & Dog roundabout. It's apparently to make the roundabout more cyclist-friendly. It's chaos at peak times, especially in the morning.

The timeframe according to the signs there? 6 months.

I suspect the same team of a one-armed pensioner and teenage apprentice they used on the Peasley Cross junction are doing the work. With hand tools.

Meanwhile, queues on Clock Face Road, Chester Lane, Mill Lane will continue to be appalling.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Learning All The Songs

Don't know Eddie don't watch Newsnight.

Cycle friendly, that’s a laugh. I’m not a cyclist but this country doesn’t have the infrastructure to support cyclists and some weird bollards and a reconfigured roundabout isn’t going to change that

When all the train lines were closed years ago they should have tarmaced some of them for the sole use of walkers and cyclists and built around those to enable safe routes for cyclists. They are just dead spaces now, criss crossing the country

Many more roads need works! Of the pothole-filling sort.

State of the roads has got terrible over the past few years. I guess that's another consequence of chronic underfunding.

The new layout of the Bull & Dog roundabout is taking shape, and it looks an absolute dog's breakfast.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    The new layout of the Bull & Dog roundabout is taking shape, and it looks an absolute dog's breakfast.
    It looks like a complete mess and a rather unnecessary one as well. Im not convinced its going to improve much.

Is this a episode of Early Doors?

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by Div View Post
    Is this a episode of Early Doors?
    No but I bet it helps out when they're busy

Noooobie

Roadworks have a budget from the Rathaus (German for town hall, but more appropriate), if they don't spend the full amount in the given year, they have a cut next year.

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed and hence clamorous to be led to safety by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by volly View Post
    "The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed and hence clamorous to be led to safety by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
    H.L. Mencken

How very true.

I like Aneurin Bevan's take, which goes hand in hand with your quote above (as in, the Conservative Party core tactic is to keep the masses feeling menaced and angry by conjuring "an endless series of hobgoblins", from trade unions to asylum seekers to 'wokeists' to the EU):

“How can wealth persuade poverty to use its political power to keep wealth in power? Here lies the whole art of Conservative politics in the twentieth century.”

6 months on and they're still nowhere near finished.

To paraphrase Churchill...

"Never, in the field of civil engineering, has so little been done by so many"

And still not finished....

They've basically just created a crossroads controlled by traffic lights. With a perimeter cycle lane around it all.

With the priority given to pedestrians and cyclists, the time allocated to vehicles on the road will be reduced. An added flaw is that a large proportion of traffic moving through the junction will be vehicles travelling the Marshalls Cross Road-Chester Lane route, which is the 'natural' straight-on route, but this has now been made a right-turn.

You'll either have a huge backlog at busy times as they will have to give way to oncoming traffic from Clock Face Road (busy in itself), or be given a long filter time on the lights, whereby all other roads are 'on red'.

I can only foresee huge queues in the morning, stretching back along MX Rd, Mill Lane, Clock Face Rd and Chester Lane. There were queues at rush-hour when it was a roundabout, but at least it kept the traffic moving. This will just have queues of vehicles stopped at red lights for long periods of time (belching out fumes)

An ill-considered mess all round.

Learning All The Songs

Maybe you should actually do some research as to what a CYCLOPS junction actually does and how it operates, and maybe even bother to take the time to see where the funding comes from for schemes like this (I can tell you now the majority of it isn't through local taxation). If St.Helens wants its share of city region funding then it has to promote & deliver active travel schemes like this.
    Just so you get an idea of the sums of money involved the current city region sustainable transport fund (which runs to 2027) has a value of approx £700M. Since HS2 was cancelled central government has already said the phase 2 CRSTS fund will go up to approx £1.5Bn.

Welcome to the new world Brian where scheme that promote car use as their priority are by & large a thing of the past.

Nice condescension.

In know how a CYCLOPS junction works because I read up on it.

It doesn't alter the fact that that junction now (and I use it most days) has far more queues than it did when it was a roundabout.

Inconveniencing a lot of people (motorists) so that a small number of people have it better is not really my idea of good policy.

Got A Replica Shirt

Does anyone seriously think the money from the cancelled HS2 routes will go anywhere near the areas the route was planned for? The money didn't exist in the first place!

If the government were even remotely interested in seeing the scheme through on the basis of "Northern Powerhouse" / "Levelling Up" then they would have started at this end instead of spending billions on cutting the train travel time from Birmingham to outer London by 10 minutes.

The biggest joke of a project from easily the biggest joke of a government ever. Yet still some people don't see the charlatans in power now for the self serving, entitled, pompous ***** they are. Mind still boggles at a pit town like Leigh voting in a Tory.

Spot on

My dispute with the entire HS2 debacle was it was sold as a 10 minutes quicker golden goose.

The whole point of it was it would literally double capacity - it would remove express trains from existing routes, creating far more space for freight and “slow” passenger services that stop frequently.

The plonkers that be should have sold it as doubling the number of local commuter services and doubling the number of long distance freight services with direct, faster, inter city routes as an added bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty Ash Saint View Post
    Mind still boggles at a pit town like Leigh voting in a Tory.
    (They don’t even have a railway station)
    Rother Valley turned blue in 2019. Orgreave is in Rother Valley.

All of the so called “red wall” should have been renamed the “sold a pup wall”, to be taught in schools in years to come of what a few nondom newspaper owners can do to protect their own offshore billions, simply by gas lighting, dog whistling and putting a corrupt snake oil salesman in charge.

At the risk of being a total brown-nose, those are two superlative posts there, Mr Admin. I agree 100% with you on both.

Got A Season Ticket

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    what an absolute state that is. The wife picked me up from there about a month ago and couldn't figure it out, fortunately it wasn't busy. So far she's now refusing to drive that way and would only pick me up from the station car park last week, typically it lashed down.

Learning All The Songs

Does anyone seriously think the money from the cancelled HS2 routes will go anywhere near the areas the route was planned for? The money didn't exist in the first place!

If the government were even remotely interested in seeing the scheme through on the basis of "Northern Powerhouse" / "Levelling Up" then they would have started at this end instead of spending billions on cutting the train travel time from Birmingham to outer London by 10 minutes.

The biggest joke of a project from easily the biggest joke of a government ever. Yet still some people don't see the charlatans in power now for the self serving, entitled, pompous ***** they are. Mind still boggles at a pit town like Leigh voting in a Tory.
    Jeeze I wish people weren't so politically naive and actually based their opinions on facts instead of some ingrained doctrine.
    The city regions have been told what their likely new funding values will be and that this additional money is the money that had been earmarked for HS2. All the local authorities in those regions know it too.
    The reason its not being 'trumpeted' is purely because both Liverpool & Manchester city regions are controlled by Labour Mayors as are a large majority of local councils in those areas. None of which can bring themselves to actually admit that a Tory Government is going to double their regional funding for the next settlement period. In fact they've been told not to speak about it so that if (as is expected) Labour win the next general election they can then try to claim it as their own to show how they are the ones doubling investment in the north. Its actually the labour party trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes, hiding the truth to sell their own lies over funding.

Its fine for everyone to have an opinion but please god at least base it on actual facts and not some politically driven garbage by any particular party.
    And before anyone asks, no i'm not a member of any political party, never have been and never will be.

Got A Replica Shirt

Ok then.

So the HS2 money isn't going to "Network North" then??? That's what the PM said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...-means-for-you

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/202...to-replace-hs2

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...0the%20country.

Has he changed his mind or are you saying that is part of the funding settlement for the regions? Not really funding is it if it's already been assigned to infrastructure projects by the government?

In any case, many of the "Network North" projects were already announced before the HS2 cancellation so it can't be the HS2 money being used to pay for them can it?

https://amp.theguardian.com/business...ust-repackaged

In addition to those FACTS, it's not just naive indoctrinated old me that's sceptical that anything like all of the money will appear where it's been promised:

https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2023/10...f-england/amp/

Just to round off, as you did, with some politically driven garbage:

have you actually wrote that the Labour regions aren't announcing the doubling of their funding (stated as fact by yourself so looking forward to you fronting up with the evidence as I know how much you dislike people not basing their political opinion on "facts") because they want to save the announcement until they are in government???

Really kind of the Tories to also hold off on that announcement to allow the Labour plan that you are aware of to come to fruition don't you think? What's the reason for them not announcing it themselves and scuppering the Labour "plan"?

Where are you getting your info from? The Labour "plan" must have the cooperation of the Tory shadowy cabal $hite spouted by Nadine Dorries and your "facts" remind me of Kellyanne Conway and her hilarious "alternative facts".

More than happy to stand corrected if the HS2 money appears but for me your unfounded assertations have done absolutely nothing to change my opinion.

Saying that it's actually the Labour Party trying to pull the wool over people's eyes is the lolly ice stick in your steaming pile of dog turd on the pavement - seems like years of austerity have gone to your head.

No offence like, I enjoy reading your rugby related posts.

Learning All The Songs

Ok then.

So the HS2 money isn't going to "Network North" then??? That's what the PM said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...-means-for-you

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/202...to-replace-hs2

https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...0the%20country.

Has he changed his mind or are you saying that is part of the funding settlement for the regions? Not really funding is it if it's already been assigned to infrastructure projects by the government?

In any case, many of the "Network North" projects were already announced before the HS2 cancellation so it can't be the HS2 money being used to pay for them can it?

https://amp.theguardian.com/business...ust-repackaged

In addition to those FACTS, it's not just naive indoctrinated old me that's sceptical that anything like all of the money will appear where it's been promised:

https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2023/10...f-england/amp/

Just to round off, as you did, with some politically driven garbage:

have you actually wrote that the Labour regions aren't announcing the doubling of their funding (stated as fact by yourself so looking forward to you fronting up with the evidence as I know how much you dislike people not basing their political opinion on "facts") because they want to save the announcement until they are in government???

Really kind of the Tories to also hold off on that announcement to allow the Labour plan that you are aware of to come to fruition don't you think? What's the reason for them not announcing it themselves and scuppering the Labour "plan"?

Where are you getting your info from? The Labour "plan" must have the cooperation of the Tory shadowy cabal $hite spouted by Nadine Dorries and your "facts" remind me of Kellyanne Conway and her hilarious "alternative facts".

More than happy to stand corrected if the HS2 money appears but for me your unfounded assertations have done absolutely nothing to change my opinion.

Saying that it's actually the Labour Party trying to pull the wool over people's eyes is the lolly ice stick in your steaming pile of dog turd on the pavement - seems like years of austerity have gone to your head.

No offence like, I enjoy reading your rugby related posts.
    Its obvious your a died in the wool labour supporter so its almost pointless trying to argue anything against them with you but still i'll clarify some of your comments;

Network North isn't the CRSTS fund. They started (from memory) around 2017 the current settlement period now started in 2022 running through to 2027. In this current period the Liverpool city region received £710M (and from memory Manchester just over £1Bn). To allow the regions to effectively plan they get told years in advance what their next settlement is likely to be though the exact figure only ever gets actually confirmed around a year before the next period starts (so around end of 25 early 26 will be the formal announcement).
    The Liverpool city region have been told to expect their next settlement to be in the region of £1.5Bn with the additional money coming largely from the money saved from the scrapped HS2 legs.

As for facts, several of my clients are local authorities across both the Liverpool city and Manchester regions and the company I work for are one of those that help local authorities plan & deliver infrastructure schemes as well as helping them with their individual funding applications from the overall pots of money such as CSRTS and the levelling up fund, so i'm fully aware of exactly where the funding comes from and how it gets applied to individual projects.

Starting A Programme Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Jeeze I wish people weren't so politically naive and actually based their opinions on facts instead of some ingrained doctrine.
    The city regions have been told what their likely new funding values will be and that this additional money is the money that had been earmarked for HS2. All the local authorities in those regions know it too.
    The reason its not being 'trumpeted' is purely because both Liverpool & Manchester city regions are controlled by Labour Mayors as are a large majority of local councils in those areas. None of which can bring themselves to actually admit that a Tory Government is going to double their regional funding for the next settlement period. In fact they've been told not to speak about it so that if (as is expected) Labour win the next general election they can then try to claim it as their own to show how they are the ones doubling investment in the north. Its actually the labour party trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes, hiding the truth to sell their own lies over funding.

Its fine for everyone to have an opinion but please god at least base it on actual facts and not some politically driven garbage by any particular party.
    And before anyone asks, no i'm not a member of any political party, never have been and never will be.