Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner

Thread: Saudi Pro League

Default Saudi Pro League

Does European football need to be genuinely concerned about the Saudi pro league and the amount of money that is being thrown about?

I first thought it would be like the MLS, that is was just for ageing players going for a big pay day at the end of their careers (which it still is for some names I think), but there seems to be more and more players being targeted that are more in their prime - and worryingly, seemingly more actually considering it.

There is absolutely no prestige to play for whatsoever in going there, so it's all about the money for sure (and any player that says differently I just don't believe) - but in 5 years time, are they likely to be attracting the top Euro talent that will be at the top of their games (Bellingham, Foden, Haaland, TAA etc)?
    I ate a tuna sandwich on my first day!

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

Football's already gone to crap.

The sportwashing by these evil Gulf dictatorships has been tainting the sport for several years, outspending everyone to buy silverware (not to mention getting an army of blinkered fans to defend them constantly on social media). That that horrible scumbag at PSG has been given so much influence within UEFA is shocking. FFP proved ineffective when faced with an army of petrodollar-funded lawyers and deliberate delaying tactics by the accused club in terms of providing requested info/docs to the investigation)

The emergence of this plastic farce in the evil dictatorship of Saudi is just the next step of the regression.

You imagine they're trying a variation on the LIV Golf model to browbeat UEFA/FIFA into becoming subservient.

The European Superleague looks more and more like the right (for footballing, financial and moral reasons) route to go down to sidestep the corruption of UEFA and FIFA. It was badly announced last time, and that weasel Che Neville got on his high horse (because his Sky employers thought they'd lose out), but was the right idea for the traditional giants - who are the financial lifeblood of football anyway - to get free of the corrupt UEFA.
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Got A Season Ticket

A mate of mine currently works in Saudi and has been to a few games, he's a PNE so fairly used to crap football but has told me it's generally shockingly shit, played in half empty stadiums in front of "fans" who don't have a clue. So I decided to have a look at a game, I can't remember the teams but Saido Mane was playing and someone else who was vaguely famous. I managed 15 minutes, it was absolute dogshit, I mean really bad. I think it will end up like the Chinese league, awash with money but the owners will soon lose interest and most players won't want to live there.

Got A Season Ticket

Just watching the copa libertedores final. Not the best game but not a chance these Arabs could have a game with such incredible passion. Nothing can buy or manufacture it.