Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 33 of 33

Thread: Roadworks

  1. #26
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,834
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by philthompson View Post
    Ssshhh dont tell Knotty Ash Saint of this HS2 money appearing !!!

  2. #27
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Ssshhh dont tell Knotty Ash Saint of this HS2 money appearing !!!
    Emphasis on the "almost" in your "almost pointless arguing" was it?! LOL

    8bn to fix pot holes - great news! Should get nearly half of them repaired:

    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...t-reveals.html

    Take note of the noise made in the media rounds along the lines of "we can't make the regions spend it on this but that's what it's been allocated for". Engineered a situation where they can blame the state of the roads on the regions despite knowing full well there isn't enough money to fix the issue - pot holes will still be a huge problem even after this "investment".

    Was it 36bn for northern HS2 and this is 8bn for the entire country... Lots more to come then? Already said that it was announced on 4th October that all the money was going to the regions - breaking this up in to smaller chunks and making announcements as if it's new sounds suspiciously like trying to pull the wool over people's eyes which I know is something you don't like?

    Who is being naive here? Why are there so many pot holes? I'm sure with your insider knowledge of budgets for the regions you'll know that since 2006 funding for local roads has been cut by 50%. These guys deserve a medal don't they for providing almost half the money needed to fix a problem that is their own doing. Look over there quick though! Stop the boats!

    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/l...-b1100256.html

    If it's safe to assume from two posts I've made in this thread that I'm a "dyed in the wool Labour voter" then I'd assume that you are one of the unfortunate souls who have succumbed to 13 years of gas lighting and divide and conquer dog whistling by government ministers along with the Daily Mail and The S*n and it's muddled your brain - so almost pointless arguing.

    In all seriousness though, I agree this is an example of some of the HS2 money appearing. However, I fully stand by my original post which seems to have riled you regarding the conduct of the Tory government over the last 13 years, the whole HS2 project being folly in the first place and that the money will absolutely not come to the north of the country.

  3. #28
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,834
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty Ash Saint View Post
    Emphasis on the "almost" in your "almost pointless arguing" was it?! LOL

    8bn to fix pot holes - great news! Should get nearly half of them repaired:

    https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...t-reveals.html

    Take note of the noise made in the media rounds along the lines of "we can't make the regions spend it on this but that's what it's been allocated for". Engineered a situation where they can blame the state of the roads on the regions despite knowing full well there isn't enough money to fix the issue - pot holes will still be a huge problem even after this "investment".

    Was it 36bn for northern HS2 and this is 8bn for the entire country... Lots more to come then? Already said that it was announced on 4th October that all the money was going to the regions - breaking this up in to smaller chunks and making announcements as if it's new sounds suspiciously like trying to pull the wool over people's eyes which I know is something you don't like?

    Who is being naive here? Why are there so many pot holes? I'm sure with your insider knowledge of budgets for the regions you'll know that since 2006 funding for local roads has been cut by 50%. These guys deserve a medal don't they for providing almost half the money needed to fix a problem that is their own doing. Look over there quick though! Stop the boats!

    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/l...-b1100256.html

    If it's safe to assume from two posts I've made in this thread that I'm a "dyed in the wool Labour voter" then I'd assume that you are one of the unfortunate souls who have succumbed to 13 years of gas lighting and divide and conquer dog whistling by government ministers along with the Daily Mail and The S*n and it's muddled your brain - so almost pointless arguing.

    In all seriousness though, I agree this is an example of some of the HS2 money appearing. However, I fully stand by my original post which seems to have riled you regarding the conduct of the Tory government over the last 13 years, the whole HS2 project being folly in the first place and that the money will absolutely not come to the north of the country.
    You've derailed this entire thread with your political rant, and just so you missed it last time I wrote it, I have never been a member of any political party and never will be, nor do have any alliegance to any party.
    In response to the original discussion and in response to the complaints about the scheme I merely pointed out that this scheme was paid for largely from the regional funding pot not local taxes and rather than being a 'waste of money' as some had said I alluded to the benefits of the town bidding for their share of this regional funding, finishing by stating this regional funding pot would be more than doubled under the next settlement period due to HS2 money being redirected into it.

    Oh and by the way roads infrastructure spending under the last labour government actually fell as a % of GDP for the first few years under Blair, before increasing slightly. Throughout that entire period the UK had the lowest spend of all the G7 countries bar 1 year in the mid-noughties at the height of the boom years where our % spend just crept above that of Germany but still lagged well behind every other G7 country. So whatever you think of roads spending under the last 13 years of the Tory government the facts are the country was no better off in this sector under Labour last time round.
    Roads spending hasn't been a high priority under any political party for a long long time and nothing that the current opposition have said so far indicates that going to change if they win the next general election.

  4. #29
    Moderator Div's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sintellins
    Posts
    11,836
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    This is off topic forum and such no issues with political debates subject to none of the forum rules being broken.

  5. #30
    Starting A Programme Collection Brian Nazareth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Posts
    956
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    Oh and by the way roads infrastructure spending under the last labour government actually fell as a % of GDP for the first few years under Blair, before increasing slightly. Throughout that entire period the UK had the lowest spend of all the G7 countries bar 1 year in the mid-noughties at the height of the boom years where our % spend just crept above that of Germany but still lagged well behind every other G7 country. So whatever you think of roads spending under the last 13 years of the Tory government the facts are the country was no better off in this sector under Labour last time round.

    Just on that, the Bliar government made an electoral commitment - which they stuck to - to retain the budgets announced by the Tory government.

    It's one of the reasons I hated that Bliar government (and, FWIW, never voted for them)
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

  6. #31
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Toppy View Post
    You've derailed this entire thread with your political rant, and just so you missed it last time I wrote it, I have never been a member of any political party and never will be, nor do have any alliegance to any party.
    In response to the original discussion and in response to the complaints about the scheme I merely pointed out that this scheme was paid for largely from the regional funding pot not local taxes and rather than being a 'waste of money' as some had said I alluded to the benefits of the town bidding for their share of this regional funding, finishing by stating this regional funding pot would be more than doubled under the next settlement period due to HS2 money being redirected into it.

    Oh and by the way roads infrastructure spending under the last labour government actually fell as a % of GDP for the first few years under Blair, before increasing slightly. Throughout that entire period the UK had the lowest spend of all the G7 countries bar 1 year in the mid-noughties at the height of the boom years where our % spend just crept above that of Germany but still lagged well behind every other G7 country. So whatever you think of roads spending under the last 13 years of the Tory government the facts are the country was no better off in this sector under Labour last time round.
    Roads spending hasn't been a high priority under any political party for a long long time and nothing that the current opposition have said so far indicates that going to change if they win the next general election.
    Absolute lolz

    Not seen much from you regarding the Bull & Dog roundabout either? You don't have to be offended if you don't agree, I'm not bothered if you vite for the Tories, they'll never get elected in St Helens or Liverpool anyway.

    We probably shouldn't discuss politics on here as it never ends well in the pub does it?

  7. #32
    Got A Replica Shirt
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    71
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Nazareth View Post
    Just on that, the Bliar government made an electoral commitment - which they stuck to - to retain the budgets announced by the Tory government.

    It's one of the reasons I hated that Bliar government (and, FWIW, never voted for them)
    No time for Tony Blair other than him being the subject of one of my favourite Profanisaurus entries; Roger's Profanisaurus is, IMHO, up there with the greatest ever works in literature - look it up if you're not already acquainted:

    vote for Tony Blair v To rush enthusiastically into the cubicle expecting big things, only to get a pathetic little fart. To be constipated
    Last edited by Knotty Ash Saint; 25th November 2023 at 23:42.

  8. #33
    Learning All The Songs
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,834
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty Ash Saint View Post

    Not seen much from you regarding the Bull & Dog roundabout either?
    Because I don't see what all the whinging was about, the vast majority of people who complain about roadworks have little to no idea about construction. The only companies who blatantly try to bypass all the laws and rules that are in place to try and minimise disruption with roadworks are utility companies (or should I say the sub-contractors they generally use). Some councils are better than others at managing these companies, enforcing the rules and punishing them when they dont comply.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •