Chapel House Motor Company Limited Advertising Banner
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: World Club Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo8 View Post

the fact is that every other team in SL would have been comfortably beaten today.
    I'm not sure about that. When we had decent field position we were cutting through them at will and probably could have had 40 on another day. We played well for the first 20 mins and most of the second half. With that kind of performance, missing a few chances, it was a comparable score to what you'd expect away against a middling SL team. Their full back was a walking disaster after his initial few good runs

Starting A Programme Collection NSL's Avatar

Pretty impressive runout and we were dominant for the majority of the time both sides had their best players on the field. Plenty to be positive about in the second half too, looked slick with the ball. You can see the limitations of some of the players against better opposition though - Hurrell should expect a busy shift next week and Bennison was a bit passive and dominated physically, probably played himself out of contention for the WCC.

Team thoughts for next week? I imagine the same starting 13 with Knowles in - depending on injuries. Bench of Lussick, Passi, Sironen for sure with LMS/Wingfield/Bell as the last bench spot?

Hopoate didnt offer much, apart from his juggling act, but neither did Bennison in the 2nd half - but I canÂ’t see Wello gambling on Ritson for his first start.
    Agree with this, probably LMS for the bench. Bell and Wingfield very unfortunate though, impressed with both yesterday.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk paulscnthorpe's Avatar

Won't it be 13 subs available again?

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

I thought Welsby was outstanding, so glad their full back didn’t do all his ligaments with that shocking hip drop.

Lewis Dodd stepped straight back in to where he left off, absolutely no after effects from his injury and showed just how fluid we look with him in the side, took the ball to the line and his kicking game killed them.

Sironen was the pick of the forwards, best game in a Saints shirt and great to see his dad Paul in the crowd proudly wearing a Saints baseball cap. He was closely followed by Matautia who was immense too.

I thought Hurrell did his usual, tried probably a bit too hard, showed some strength in his carries but also his jump out of the line left us exposed a few times, Penrith will be looking to exploit that.

I agree with previous post about Bennison, he went back to looking like a 16 year old playing open age, manhandled in contact and backing into tackles. He’s asking for a neck injury from a crusher if he carries on.

Ritson took his try well and was clearly delighted to score, was good to hear Vossy waxing lyrical about him before he came on and willing him into open space so he could see how quick he was. Genuinely a better prospect than some give him credit for, clearly needs to work on defence, but Grace was in the same bracket when he made his debut.

I thought Percy carried well out of yardage, but was met by a much stronger line than SL, he didn’t find a quick ptb as often as he does here.

As for Lomax, all I can say is you can forgive him that shocker in a friendly, he won’t be anywhere near that bad ever again.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Belgian Saint's Avatar

Team thoughts for next week? I imagine the same starting 13 with Knowles in - depending on injuries. Bench of Lussick, Passi, Sironen for sure with LMS/Wingfield/Bell as the last bench spot?

Hopoate didnt offer much, apart from his juggling act, but neither did Bennison in the 2nd half - but I can’t see Wello gambling on Ritson for his first start.
    With the heat factor I wouldn’t be surprised if he went for Wingfield over an ageing LMS. It would be a big decision to put Ritson in, though Bennison did nothing (maybe because so little ball went that way) and just seemed to get brushed aside.
    Ritson though, given a gap could be a game changer. If we do play Ritson I would put him on the left, not partnering Koni.
    A couple of seasons ago we seemed to go left every time we were attacking, Sat it was predominantly to the right. I would like to see a bit of variety there so we are not as predictable and easy to defend against.
    Whatever team we pick and what tactics we use we just have to trust in Wellens, he got it right last week.

Learning All The Songs Brian Nazareth's Avatar

I know it's a glorified friendly, but no mention of the game on the BBC Sport site
    He's not the Messiah, he's a naughty boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thommo View Post
    Bennison watched the lad pass him for their last try. Ritson was holding his legs but Bennison missed him all ends up up top.
    Yes Bennison could have definitely helped him out. He was a big lad so no real disgrace in not stopping him.
    I could agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk STIDDY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Belgian Saint View Post
    With the heat factor I wouldn’t be surprised if he went for Wingfield over an ageing LMS. It would be a big decision to put Ritson in, though Bennison did nothing (maybe because so little ball went that way) and just seemed to get brushed aside.
    Ritson though, given a gap could be a game changer. If we do play Ritson I would put him on the left, not partnering Koni.
    A couple of seasons ago we seemed to go left every time we were attacking, Sat it was predominantly to the right. I would like to see a bit of variety there so we are not as predictable and easy to defend against.
    Whatever team we pick and what tactics we use we just have to trust in Wellens, he got it right last week.
    Bit concerned about Bennison he looked way out of his depth on this one and Ritson is also a gamble. Wello may go Tommy, Percy, Hopoate and Hurrell.

Just watched the game this afternoon, that was the worst I,ve seen Jonny play for quite a few years need his A game with Dodd and Welsby, Roby still looks world class in the big game.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post
    Bit concerned about Bennison he looked way out of his depth on this one and Ritson is also a gamble. Wello may go Tommy, Percy, Hopoate and Hurrell.

Just watched the game this afternoon, that was the worst I,ve seen Jonny play for quite a few years need his A game with Dodd and Welsby, Roby still looks world class in the big game.
    Tbh I think Bennison did well enough. He has only just got up to Super League standard. At least he kept on going and got back and recovered from his mistakes.

You have to remember he is still young lad and has a lot more work in the gym. He at least knows he needs to do to improve. A couple of years in the gym and work on catching everything on the full.

Having slept on the match it in only just sinking in how good a performance it was. In some way that was a more important game than next week. If we had looked average in that game we would have really done a lot of harm to UK RL. Instead we looked dominant and showed the Australians what we are about.

Yes people are saying we will struggle next week but that is more a reflection on how strong Penrith are especially at home.

With that result barring an absolute collapse next week our trip is going to be a big success.

Quote Originally Posted by STIDDY View Post

Didn’t even think of that wing centre combination. But, I think putting Percy on the wing weakens our attack. I suppose we could put Hopoate on the wing again.

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Default World Club Challenge

Hopoate didnt offer much, apart from his juggling act, but neither did Bennison in the 2nd half - but I can’t see Wello gambling on Ritson for his first start.
    A couple of questions to be answered first. How is Batchelor’s foot/ankle? He was in a moon boot after the game. How ill was/is Knowles? If Batchelor isn’t fit then Sironen starts and we have Bell or Wingfield on the bench. With the forecast set for high 30 degrees if Batchelor and/or Knowles can’t train much this week are they going to be physically capable of starting such a high intensity match in such high temperatures.

Ideal would be:
    Welsby, Makinson, Hurrell, Percival, Hopoate, Lomax, Dodd, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Batchelor, Mata’utia, Knowles
    Subs: Lussick, Paasi, LMS, Sironen

I think Wingfield is still too lightweight to have an impact at prop against a big Penrith pack. LMS may be ageing but we’ll need his experience, energy and leadership. Bell and/or Wingfield can come into the squad depending on Batchelor and Knowles.
    Last edited by The Wee Waa Womble; 12th February 2023 at 21:04. Reason: Put Welsby in twice.
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Quote Originally Posted by The Wee Waa Womble View Post
    A couple of questions to be answered first. How is Batchelor’s foot/ankle? He was in a moon boot after the game. How ill was/is Knowles? If Batchelor isn’t fit then Sironen starts and we have Bell or Wingfield on the bench. With the forecast set for high 30 degrees if Batchelor and/or Knowles can’t train much this week are they going to be physically capable of starting such a high intensity match in such high temperatures.

Ideal would be:
    Welsby, Makinson, Hurrell, Percival, Hopoate, Welsby, Lomax, Walmsley, Roby, Lees, Batchelor, Mata’utia, Knowles
    Subs: Lussick, Paasi, LMS, Sironen

I think Wingfield is still too lightweight to have an impact at prop against a big Penrith pack. LMS may be ageing but we’ll need his experience, energy and leadership. Bell and/or Wingfield can come into the squad depending on Batchelor and Knowles.
    This is how we will go pending Batchelors foot, but he is likely to play. (Assuming you meant Dodd instead of second Welsby)

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk The Wee Waa Womble's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BackrowSaint View Post
    This is how we will go pending Batchelors foot, but he is likely to play. (Assuming you meant Dodd instead of second Welsby)
    Yes I did. Though if anyone could play two positions at once it would be Welsby!
    Forwards win games. The backs decide by how much.

Learning All The Songs

Yes I did. Though if anyone could play two positions at once it would be Welsby!

You're not wrong!

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk Buddy's Avatar

20 minute quarters and additional subs to be allowed

https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl-chang...oncern-128277/

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Learning All The Songs

is going to be a shock to the system for the boys when they swap the heat of Sydney for the delights of Cas!

Starting A Programme Collection

he was doing that for most of last season!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    20 minute quarters and additional subs to be allowed

https://www.zerotackle.com/nrl-chang...oncern-128277/

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk
    A sensible option.

Learning All The Songs

178,000 tuned into the Saints game the biggest of the weekend fixtures.

Starting A Programme Collection

Joint 3rd in the mini league behind Sydney roosters & Manly

In The North Stand With All The Old Folk fishy3005's Avatar

If we lose next week the likes of Phil Gould will go on about the gulf between nrl and super league but in truth theres no shame in losing to Penrith. They are capable of pasting many of the nrl teams. I think we will go well. What surprised me against St.George was that we never looked out of our depth. It wasn’t obvious that the two teams were from different standards of competition. We never seemed phased or panicked when we went 10-12 down. We just stuck to our processes and we also had variety in attack. We weren’t afraid to shift the ball early in tackles. We had good shape.
    Not sure if im remembering right but didn’t two Dragons breaks in the second half come from Lees shooting out of the line? We need to fix that up. Penrith will be pretty clinical next week.
    screaming in the family corner, scaring the kiddies

Learning All The Songs

I just hope we don't get hammered and avoid any injuries.

In The South Stand

There is a gulf between Super League and the NRL as competitions, so it’s not exactly surprising or shocking to say so.
    St Helens Rugby League Football Club

Learning All The Songs The Chief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fishy3005 View Post
    If we lose next week the likes of Phil Gould will go on about the gulf between nrl and super league but in truth theres no shame in losing to Penrith. They are capable of pasting many of the nrl teams. I think we will go well. What surprised me against St.George was that we never looked out of our depth. It wasn’t obvious that the two teams were from different standards of competition. We never seemed phased or panicked when we went 10-12 down. We just stuck to our processes and we also had variety in attack. We weren’t afraid to shift the ball early in tackles. We had good shape.
    Not sure if im remembering right but didn’t two Dragons breaks in the second half come from Lees shooting out of the line? We need to fix that up. Penrith will be pretty clinical next week.
    I agree with this. The biggest difference to me was that in previous visits to Aus, players look like rabbits in headlights prior to kick off and often get beaten before they take to the field. What this game did for Saints is make them realise they are not supermen and we can live with the pace of the game, infact we looked positively unplayable for 20mins. What we need to do is cut out the silly errors and have Lomax and Percy playing at 8/9 out of 10.